• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

My MST MS-01D Project...

Harlen

... Is on it's way :D

After about a year of salivating over Soul RC posts I'm finally financially secure enough to have a go at this! I used to run touring cars when I was 13-16 until my local track closed down in Milton Keynes. Since Soul moved in up the road last year I've really wanted to get into drifting.

I ordered my MST MS-01D chassis today and it's now making it's way over here from sunny Thailand. Should be with me in a week or two. I'm currently selling up a few bits and pieces and waiting for payday to fund the electronic bits now.

I'm planning on going with a Speed Passion V3 MMM motor 13.5t with the reventon r ESC. Servo wise I'm leaning towards RC OMG but if anyone knows a similar one a little cheaper please let me know! Recommendations more than welcome, looking at sorting motor/esc/servo for under

I run an MS01-D :) mine is the RTR with some upgrades and I love it.

I've recently moved on to Lipo batteries and the main advantage for me has been consistent power. Learning on NiMH was alright, apart from changing batteries 4 times an hour. Haha.

I have a Savox SC 1252 servo. It's around

Edited by scratcher

I run an MS01-D :) mine is the RTR with some upgrades and I love it.

I've recently moved on to Lipo batteries and the main advantage for me has been consistent power. Learning on NiMH was alright, apart from changing batteries 4 times an hour. Haha.

I have a Savox SC 1252 servo. It's around

Cool, it's a good chassis. I'd definitely recommend getting the aluminium dampers to go on it. The difference over the plastic ones is huge!

Soul is brilliant, they always have a decent track layout and the guys are mega helpful. We go up there as much as we can :)

We'll have to sort out an MK drift session when you're up and running then  :thumbsup:

Motor and ESC are now paid for and also on their way. Should get them Thursday.

Opted for the SKYRC Cheetah combo, 60A brushless, sensored ESC, with a 13.5T matching motor. Now I'll spend the rest of my night looking for a relatively inexpensive servo :D 

Quick question if anyone can help, I've just confused myself. :D

So I'm going to be buying 2S lipo, but I can't find a servo more than 6V, 7.4V rated ones are sparse and expensive. I then looked into what i'll be running for my transmitter and reciever and they are mostly low voltage rated too, less than 7.4

I've read a few threads and the way to repair it is with a BEC in the middle? But that can require all sorts of splicing, or a seperate pack altogether, and will clog up my limited space.

My ESC has a 'built in 6V/3A' BEC, does this mean it will automatically drop the voltage from my battery to my reciever and servo through the ESC so I don't blow everything up?

Further, I assume this doesn't mean I can't run 7.4 at all on the ESC, it won't just turn all voltage down will it? That would be a bit of a pain.

Cheers

Triple post :D #soznotsoz

The chassis arrived today. It was shipped monday from Thaiwan and arrived this morning. I'm absolutely amazed at that.

Chucked the wheels on for a few pics. My esc and motor are at my dad's (for some reason eBay selected my dad's address to send them too, weird). Servo and body are in the post, and I'll be ordering my rx/tx later this evening. If all goes to plan it'll be up and running late next week.

hHb8NeE.jpg?1?3178

hteX6BX.jpg?1

1H0ijxU.jpg?1

T6eNeY7.jpg?1

Quite happy with the rims they sent me! My body is going to be metallic green or metallic blue, haven't decided yet, so they will go nicely with the body. 

I'm just crazy excited now. I've wanted to get into this since Soul opened last year!

I'll also order some grease later, just remembered that. I take it the shocks are oiled from factory aswell?

Wow, that was fast!

The shocks will probably have minimal oil in them, it's a good idea to just top them up any way. I've got got a couple of little bottles of 30w oil if you want one to get you going.

I was up at Soul last night, you need to get out on track dude :)

Edited by scratcher

Wow, that was fast!

The shocks will probably have minimal oil in them, it's a good idea to just top them up any way. I've got got a couple of little bottles of 30w oil if you want one to get you going.

I was up at Soul last night, you need to get out on track dude :)

Might have to take you up on that :D

Just went and grabbed this. Once all the parts are here I'll assemble it all. :)

oIXOg2y.jpg?1

Finished prepping/drilling/painting the shell up today

KgvUtvQ.jpg

JJOvPrn.jpg

3s30JuY.jpg

Just needs bits like the wing mirrors and wipers adding on, trying to decide wether or not I like the spoiler enough to put it on aswell.

Really happy with how it turned out. Haven't done one of these in years and I was never one for constantly switching my shells out anyway. Painted up perfect in the end. Didn't have a reamer to hand so attacked it with a drill for body posts. The fronts were a total pain in the ass as the posts align absolutely perfectly with the big vent in the bonnet. So it's not neat but it's functional which is more important for me. 

So yeah a bit rough around the edges but hopefully once I've done all the details tomorrow it'll be looking sweet.

I've had a delay now as I've had to send the motor and ESC back. The motor had the connectors around the wrong way (they needed to be backwards facing to fit into the motor housing) and were impossible to remove as they were tig welded it seems and I only have a soldering iron to hand, so the 'solder' wouldn't melt. Should have my cash tomorrow and I'll order a speed passion ESC and motor I think. 

Servo and RX turned up today so once I've ordered a new motor it's only the batteries that need doing. Probably won't make it to the soul comp but if I've got a bit of spare petrol (absolutely skinting myself out on this! No regrets) I might go up anyway just to soak in the atmosphere and meet everyone.

That looks great! Love the colour :) it's a shame the post holes came through the vent but it doesn't look bad at all.

Hi all I am from Aylesbury and just starting out in the rc drifting ATM I got a flying fish which I got off eBay but looking to get a hpi e10. Where's is the best place to go to learn to drift ?

Soul RC in Northampton is brilliant if you can get up there.

Or find a nice smooth car park and a couple of cans, little cones, bricks, anything really and have a go :)

• Like 1

Ok thank you will have to get hold of them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're pretty close to Soul RC aswell mate! I'm in MK but will be commuting from Sheffield uni in term time to visit the track, a good 2 hour drive :D

I know I'm updating like mad and haven't really got much going but still - I've just ordered the Speed Passion Reventon R ESC, and a Speed Passion Competition V3 motor. Both sensored, I think, not much info on this motor online but the few sources I've found said it's sensored. Fingers crossed but I hardly broke the bank on the two. 

The motor connections are also directly on the back of this motor so I won't get into trouble with the front facing ones that were welded onto the SkyRC one!

Its a really good motor and ESC. I have the Reventon S and the DOKYO drift spec V3 10.5 turn motor. Very smooth. All I would say is I wish I had gone for the standard 10.5 as the drift one has a modified fan on it and it makes 'drift sound effects'. It is just noisy as hell and makes a weird whine, I have one of the plastic fan rotors crack and break and damage a sensor (they did replace it for free though). Just really annoying that it will most likely happen again. 

Cashew. If you are saving for an E10, it might be for saving the little bit extra and getting the sprint 2. It's a far better chassis over the E10.

Edited by louder
  • Like 1

Its a really good motor and ESC. I have the Reventon S and the DOKYO drift spec V3 10.5 turn motor. Very smooth. All I would say is I wish I had gone for the standard 10.5 as the drift one has a modified fan on it and it makes 'drift sound effects'. It is just noisy as hell and makes a weird whine, I have one of the plastic fan rotors crack and break and damage a sensor (they did replace it for free though). Just really annoying that it will most likely happen again. 

Cashew. If you are saving for an E10, it might be for saving the little bit extra and getting the sprint 2. It's a far better chassis over the E10.

Glad to see someone else has a good experience with those motors. Seems bang on for what I want! I went 13.5T because I think 10.5 might be a little too mental for me at the beginning, especially with 2S lipo on board. Even though I used to race touring cars it was years ago and none of us used lipo or motors over 15T stock spec. Gonna be a bloody animal this thing!

Definitely need some adjustable toe arms for the MST I think, I'm trying to get my head around setting up the alignment (any guides? the manual is useless) and with the stock fixed arms the lowest settings is about 4 degrees inwards!

If you are on technical tracks I have seen people run as low as 8.5. Gear it right and you get a reasonable high end without oodles of torque for keeping the fast drifts smooth as you speed up and lots of low end grunt for breaking those wheel free at slow speeds. It is something I have been thinking about for a while. With the 10.5 I adjusted the power so at max throttle its only at 80% otherwise on 2S it is just ridiculous. I have an R ESC on the way for my second build simply because I can run a lower motor and get more power too it and as a result break the wheels free easier to get steeper angles as slow speed. A lot of the american guys seem to run around 8.5 as do the Japs so I think that might be the way to go as they seem to know what they are doing :P. There are a few english guys in the D1RC who run 13.5 which I do find quite crazy as at low speeds that motor has to work HARD! It causes it to pull a lot of power from the system, it gets hot and ultimately responds slower as it's sweet spot is in the clouds. 

I think a starting point is 2 in on the rear and then about 0.5 out on the front. More toe out will make its a more stable in the turns and increases oversteer. Just watch that when changing directly the wheel doesn't bite and rip the car out of the corner. That seems to be the balance between camber and toe.