• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

South West Indoor RC - and the *SATURDAY SUMMER RACE DAYS*

MattyV6

Hi guys this is aimed at anyone who has a 1/10th scale buggy or smaller 001_smile.gif

After a very long process i'm finally opening an indoor carpet track at the end of this month in Cornwall (29th July), roughly 25 mins away from Plymouth, just off the A38 and very very easy to get to. Theres no driving down dodgy unlit lanes. The postcode is PL14 3PU

The track area is 70ft long by 30ft wide and although the track is not 100% finished as of yet it will include wall rides, jumps and a nice 65ft long straight 001_smile.gif

I have a separate pit area if people dont want to work from the back of their cars.

I've got all the timing gear for proper racing. I will update on what transponders work with the system. 

The track has now got a Face book page. Please click on the link below and LIKE the page and spread the word 001_smile.gif The link is at the bottom of this page 001_smile.gif

The track will be open every Thursday every week for 52 weeks of the yeat from 7pm to 11pm. There will be heats and finals at the end of each night 001_smile.gif

The FB page is in its early stages but it will be constantly updated over the next few days.

We have parking for 30 to 40 cars and we don't need to be off the site at a certain time as its my unit and my land, the rules are very slack, just put any litter in the bin 001_smile.gif

Please LIKE our Face Book page below. The FB page is being updated every day so please keep an eye out :)

https://www.facebook.com/pages/South...3948047?ref=hl

If anyone on this forum is interested in racing at the track or has any questions please just ask and i will get back to you ASAP.

The track will be open every Thursday from 7pm till 11pm

Please spread the word and LIKE our page. With all your help we can make this an excellent indoor track in Cornwall 001_smile.gif

Many thanks,

Matt

Edited by MattyV6

Sounds interesting! What classes are you aiming to run?

Any pictures of the track in development?

Hi dude well the aim is to run 1/10th buggies with both 2wd and 4wd classes and also as the numbers build i would love to get a vintage class running (for me this is where it all began, 1993). Maybe along side the newer cars on the same night but in separate races.

What RC is it that your mainly interested in? Do you have anything 10th scale or smaller?

I'm also thinking MAYBE on a different evening in the week running a Touring Car class but this is really well above my head at the moment as i've no clue if there's even a market for this kind of class in the Devon & Cornwall area? Its something that could be done but the main racing will be for 1/10th scale buggies.

If there's any other smaller scale that wants to get involved and race then this can definitely be catered for. Again i've got to look into this but this is definitely on the cards too :)

I will be uploading some pictures shortly i'm literally just waiting the rest of the lights to be delivered and for all the lights to be wired in properly and i'll have some decent light for some pictures, i will also have all the carpet down by then so it will look like an actual track with a layout :)

Its been a LONG time in the making but its finally going ahead :)

If you were ever interested in coming and having a race then just give me a shout dude it would brilliant to get as many people to race.

The smallest I have currently is a HPI E-Firestorm 1/10 truck, maybe to start with you could run a mixed class ;) they're fairly similar in size. 1/10 short course seems to be popular in the area as well but are a good bit bigger.

Thurs nights is excellent for me so will definitely be there, I'm sure an indoor track will be popular, being in the middle of Plymouth/Newquay/Liskeard.

The smallest I have currently is a HPI E-Firestorm 1/10 truck, maybe to start with you could run a mixed class ;) they're fairly similar in size. 1/10 short course seems to be popular in the area as well but are a good bit bigger.

Thurs nights is excellent for me so will definitely be there, I'm sure an indoor track will be popular, being in the middle of Plymouth/Newquay/Liskeard.

Ahhh yes i forgot the mixed class. Yes definitely will run one. I've had a few people ask about 1/10th scale short course and truck/truggy so definatly will one a class of these on the nights :)

Its been tricky choosing the night but going by what other clubs are doing and not trying to clash its been picked for a Thursday eve. I'm pleased your free and like you say hopefully we can attract racers from all around Cornwall. The track once opened is going to be brilliant! I'm so excited about this :)

I will reply to your pm dude :)

Edited by MattyV6

I would just like to thank everyone who has liked our Face Book page so far, the response has been incredible!! I honestly didn't think i would get so much input in less than 24 hours! If you havn't already done so please 'LIKE' and spread the word 

https://www.facebook.com/pages/South...3948047?ref=hl

Just an update on the track that i forgot to mention in the post above. Although this is an indoor carpet track we also have the opportunity to incorporate a large outdoor section just off of the indoor carpet section that can be clearly seen from the rostrum!

Im my eyes this adds a whole new dimension to the track and offers something different that from my research has not been done by any other club/track! The outdoor will still use carpet as a base but will also have a small grass section (cut very short). It adds a very interesting section to the track that on good weather evenings can be opened!

We are so excited about the track and over the next week i will update the FB page and update on here but thank you to those so far that have shown interest and support!

This dream of mine for a track for everyone is happening, its actually happening!! 

Thanks

Matt

Jony if your free After next week then that will be sweet! Will be good to finally meet up and your help would be much apreciated :). I will keep you posted. We should be onto sorting the jump sections by then too :)

Jony if you could make it Friday then that would be better I think they will still me doing the lighting. All fittings have been delivered so will be going up from Monday and the scaffolding will in the unit I think? I will let you know if it's all done by Wednesday. I will upload the new lights this afternoon :)

Updates to the track are on our FB page, link below :). Over the next week you will really start to see it taking shape :)

If you've not already done so please give our Face Book page a 'LIKE' and help us spread the word. This is going to be an epic dedicated indoor track but we need all the help possible to spread the word :)

Thank you everyone so far :)

If your feeling really generous then you could even 'LIKE' and then 'SHARE' our page :)

https://www.facebook.com/pages/South-West-Indoor-RC/262447823948047

Hey dude, sounds great and Thursdays is perfect :) Going to have to buy a 1/10 now!

Yes this is what i love to hear :)!

There's been so much interested and the FB page has only been live since last Friday. At the mo since its gone up ive got a confirmed 9 drivers that are local enough to make it a weekly Thursday race meet and thats only over the last 5 days so fingers crossed this number will continue to grow :). I would love to have 15 to 20 at a weekly meet. I'm in the process of getting some leaflets printed up that will be going into John's shop in Plymouth. My hope is that it will be good for both of us, if he can spread the word about the track it will also get people interested in the sport and put business through his shop too. I'm going down this week to have a chat with him.

I really think this track will be a big hit. I'm not doing any of this to make money. Ive got the space thats not being used so why not put it to some good use that everyone can enjoy :)

You could definitely run a short course, ive had a couple of guys ask about short course. At the moment its 75% buggies but the FB page has only been going a few days so over time the numbers will grow and as the word spreads the difference in cars will grow.

The plan is to change the layout/jumps on the track every month to switch things up a little and keep the drivers on their toes :)

Your very welcome pal. Google maps says you about an hour away, with a brisk drive about 45 mins lol :)

Cheers for that, sounds brilliant. Or less than half an hour from work lol.

You'll be one of the very few in Cornwall that run 1:10.

The only other two tracks i know of - Perranporth and St Pirans - run 1:8 and 1:5, outdoors.

Edited by Pistonhead

Cheers for that, sounds brilliant. Or less than half an hour from work lol.

You'll be one of the very few in Cornwall that run 1:10.

The only other two tracks i know of - Perranporth and St Pirans - run 1:8 and 1:5, outdoors.

Thats the thing i cant think of anywhere down this part of the country/Cornwall that has a dedicated weekly indoor race night for 10th scale (and smaller) on a carpet track.

The weather at the moment is very good so with a bit of travelling you can race on the outdoor tracks but once the weather turns a little it makes racing very difficult if your relying on the weather. The idea with this track is to run it every week and all year round and offer it to as many people as possible who want to race.

You will have to make it down one night once we are open and have a race :). If you leave from work and your early then no probs just turn up and have some practice before the racing starts :)

This sounds great :-) I prefer 1:10 over the larger sizes. I have a classic RC10, truggy and short course trucks all 1:10. I'm only up the road in Launceston, and Thursdays are very good for me! Are you thinking about juniors too? It'd be great to bring my son along :-) when are you planning to be up and running?

In the colder months I reckon the heat from 2 dozen battery chargers going will keep it toasty as well ;)

E-Firestorm is having a full tear down and rebuild at the moment in anticipation :)

cool idea & good luck as the track sounds mint.

however I visit Cornwall area at least 3 or 4 times a year for a breakaway ( well when I can that is lol ), so I will have to drop in asap one night or day if poss.

Edited by subaru-swift

This sounds great :-) I prefer 1:10 over the larger sizes. I have a classic RC10, truggy and short course trucks all 1:10. I'm only up the road in Launceston, and Thursdays are very good for me! Are you thinking about juniors too? It'd be great to bring my son along :-) when are you planning to be up and running?

Ahh ok yes so only round the corner, not far at all :). Bring all your different 10th scale as your be able to run them on the Thursdays. There is going to be a mixed class so all will fit right in. If we get the interest we will deffo run a short course class too :). The main class will be 2wd buggies as this is what everyone seems to be running around this way, your RC10 will be brilliant :)

Yes deffo bring your son along. We are trying to make this a track for all ages and skill levels so he will definitely be able to race too, maybe even race against you in the same race with one of your spare cars :)

In the colder months I reckon the heat from 2 dozen battery chargers going will keep it toasty as well ;)

E-Firestorm is having a full tear down and rebuild at the moment in anticipation :)

Hahaa yes!! I might get a couple of them smoking shelter style heaters for the pit area when it gets a little chilly, or a garden patio heater lol!

We want more pics lol, a bit far for me but might make the trip one day if around that area

I will be uploading some pics to the FB page later today dude with all the progress so far :). Its been a 'little' slower then i would have hoped as work keeps getting in the way but ive had 2 guys down there Tuesday & Wednesday sorting stuff so it is all moving forward :)

I'll go take some pictures in a bit and upload them :)

If your in the area then deffo make the trip along.

How far are you roughly from the track?

cool idea & good luck as the track sounds mint.

however I visit Cornwall area at least 3 or 4 times a year for a breakaway ( well when I can that is lol ), so I will have to drop in asap one night or day if poss.

Its been in the planning for agesssssssss but its finally getting sorted. If work didnt constantly get in the way it would have been done 6 months ago :/

Make one of your tips last until at least a Thursday eve so you can join in on a proper race night :). Failing that if i'm in and your around this way during the day let me know and i'll let you in and you can have a go :)

Gives me a reason to not sell the mad monkey. Matty not ignoring your PM on maxbashing just silly busy in the evenings at the moment.. the only real time I get on the internet is when I'm slacking at work lol.

Jony, depending on days etc I could give you lifts. You might need to get to st austell or something or we can work out diesel money...

And looking at the other comments I'd be up for getting a 10th SCT for using too.... makes me need to reassess my plans to sell up and buy a savage flux tho lol

p.s. you're only 30 minutes away.... maybe I will get into racing after all....

Edited by Samuran