• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

The Dark Knights Xray XB4-2wd

I've always fancied one of these Xray XB4-2wd's, so when MB Models put them on special offer, that was enough to convince me to sell my Schumacher KF and get one.

First impressions are very good, the kit is just oozing of quality and looking forward to cracking on with the build. I should hopefully have time to make a start to the build tomorrow. I'll be building it total stock with the exception of 12mm wheels hexes so I can run my Schumacher wheels/tyres as I kept them when I sold my KF.

Just a photo of the box for now:

1910262_10152476568225210_80352488011331

• Like 1

Sorry but I was so impressed when building this kit, I didn't want to stop to take photos, really impressed with the build quality, easily one of the nicest kits I've had the pleasure of putting together.

I only ran into one small issue, the servo mounts, there wasn't enough clearance for the wire coming out of my servo. I'll be running a low profile servo and I've have to kink the wire more than I'm comfortable doing so I've ordered Xray alloy servo mounts which will solve the issue.

I was going to run my Hobbywing V2.1 120a but decided to sell that and get a new esc. Swaying towards a Much More Fleta Pro at the moment. I'll be running a Team Wave Eclipse 7.5t motor & SMC saddle pack lipos.

I've also decided to sell my Schumacher wheels/tyres and get some more Xray wheels. I already have new rear Schumacher mini-spikes in yellow & green. I'll be ordering front Schumacher mini-spikes in yellow & green and Schumacher low profile staggers in yellow & green.

10398675_10152480961250210_5545437580042

I did almost buy a B5M but having looked at other XB4's at the local club, I decided this was the best way to go for me. No-one else runs B5m's at the local club, only Schumacher K1's, Xray XB4's, Kyosho RB6 & one Centro.

Edited by The Dark Knight

• 2 weeks later...

After numerous discussions with some off-road guys, it looks like I'll be putting this Xray XB4-2wd up for sale and getting either an Associated B5M or Losi 22 2.0

The Xray simply isn't suited for where I'll be racing. I mainly race on grass and very occasionally on astro and I've been told the Xray will struggle in the wet.

Bit gutted as very impressed with the quality of this kit. 

• Like 2

Shame that David, but probably right. That layout has flaws on lower grip.

Between the 22 2.0 and the B5M I'd have the B5M but both are good cars.

About the only high grip car that manages on lower grip seems to be the KF with a low grip chassis, but by the time you buy all the bits it gets really expensive.

Have you actually run the XB?

That's a shame fella, I got my converted XB4 4wd to work quite well in the wet, but in greasy intermediate conditions it was rubbish

I think that they are bring a new losi 22 out as they are being sold out at

Haven't heard anything from the losi guys about a 22 3.0 so suspect that is a bit away...

Anything will sell, just depends on money, for an unused car you'll get a bit more money but won't have the fun of running it.

What do you want/need from a car?

Can you afford multiple cars (ie low/high grip)?

What surfaces is the championship held on?

No sorry I don't have a link as nothing has been said about a 22 3.0 but its logical that when the old ones you down in price a new one is on its way.

I wonder if that's the same story with the XB? As the price drop on the XB was what attracted me to it so I sold my KF to get it.

Haven't heard anything from the losi guys about a 22 3.0 so suspect that is a bit away...

Anything will sell, just depends on money, for an unused car you'll get a bit more money but won't have the fun of running it.

What do you want/need from a car?

Can you afford multiple cars (ie low/high grip)?

What surfaces is the championship held on?

Sorry I missed this comment. 

I'm not really wanting more than one car, I'm just wanting one which can be used as an all-rounder. My theory is that with one car, I'll get to know it and know what to change to suit different tracks.

The surfaces in the championship are grass and astro, possibly one carpet.

As an all rounder you can't beat a conventional mid motor.

They simply work on almost any surface.

I do agree with you logic of concentrating on one car, part of the reason why I sold the Tm2 and the SVR and now got the RB6 as a sole 2wd.

Is the astro long or short pile?

Edited by charlesk

As an all rounder you can't beat a conventional mid motor.

They simply work on almost any surface.

I do agree with you logic of concentrating on one car, part of the reason why I sold the Tm2 and the SVR and now got the RB6 as a sole 2wd.

Well that's me in the middle of taking photos of the XB, removed my electrics so expect a new for sale thread today or tomorrow.

Yeah I just feel that being able to slightly tweak a car which you use all the time and your used to will be easier than having another car which will drive completely different.

Thanks for everyones advice, note to self, do more research before buying a kit.

Km

This is off topic but what paint is that?

It was a half can of Pactra I had spare which I had used on one of my old touring car body shells. Your meant to back it with silver but I love the transparent look  :thumbsup:

Last lot of advice (at least for tonight).

Run what others run (spares and support being the main reason, as well as that they must work!!).

As an average racer that is invaluable esp at the beggining.

Once you get to understand how a car works stick with it for a bit. Different cars respond/want different things, so stability whilst your driving develops is key. Remember your driving is what will make the difference and stability will help that to develop.

• Like 1