• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Old TA Tc3 upgrade to brushless set up

Lo08nyb

Hi everyone,

I have an old TC3 1/10 electric rc car which I built about 10 years ago and fancy getting back into the hobby, it's currently a brushed motor system looking to upgrade it to a brushless system with lipo batterys but I have no knowledge or experience in this!

I have been browsing the forum and seem a brushless motor and esc A hobbywing B6 combo with an ezrun motor which looks like it could work but need some advice on will this work with my old TC3, what lipos will I need and also any other recommendations on potential set ups.

I have a budget of around 200 quid and will need a couple of lipos and a charger.

Thanks for your help!

More than likely just some fun for the time been, I am looking to join a club and start racing.

I've been looking at this brushless set up - Hobbywing Combo B6 EZRUN-60A-SL Brushless ESC + 9T/3650 4300KV Motor 1/10 but unsure on lipos and which ones I should be looking at....And if the old TC3 would be able to cope with it!

Thanks for your help!

Edited by Lo08nyb

The motor and ESC is a popular "fun" setup but may not suit club racing as it is sensorless and most clubs will expect you to run a sensored system.

LiPo's will be any hard case stick pack. Some clubs may insist on them being on the BRCA list but that is rare.

Your TC3 should be able to handle the power comfortably if it is well maintained.

I just bought a used trackstar 60a esc and 3900kv motor off another forum member. I used it to replace the combo that gave up the ghost in my truggy but the setup will end up in my tc3 in the long run. The hobbywing combo you showed interest in seems to be the same as the trackstar just with a newer esc design and a rebrand. The 3900kv motor is quite rapid (for me) and it has enough power to make my truggy pull wheelies from standstill. It runs a bit hot though but the esc remains quite cool (I don't have a temp gun).

If you are buying new I'd say buy a full sized motor as these motors apparently use the internals from motors the next size down in a full sized can, hence the large fins. Then again, the motor would be under less strain than a truggy as you'd be running it on a smooth surface and have smaller wheels.

6CD4478B-6045-4C54-B206-68FEDF124468.jpg

Esc and motor in my truggy

3BE1B703-A034-4919-A08B-0B6E9321D1DF.jpg

The old girl. Currently brushed but will be going brushless when I get another brushless combo for the truggy.

like optimus has said the 4300 motor actually has 380`s internal i.e rotor in a 540 size can but its still basicly a 380 motor with the fins cut into it and in a tc3 it would be ok as they dont weigh very much so not alot of stress will be put on it. i ran one of those motors in a 2wd slash with a 60a esc and it would fly along on a 2s lipo 

Edited by mini-z-awd

Unsure what to do....are you able to run lipos with and older esc and brushed motor? I need new battery's chargers etc so what ever I buy I don't want to be chucking away shorty after because of upgrading to brushless!

Thanks for your help guys

I put my 5350mah 2s lipo in my tc3 and every time I used the throttle the steering servo twitched bigtime. I think the esc might be able to take it (m.r.t VX sport) but I reckon the punch offered by the lipo was so much that the noise suppressors on the motor couldn't cope so the old am radio I'm using with the tc3 still picked up the interference.

I need to try it with a new tx/RX combo. I think it would be alright on 2.4ghz.

Try to think what you might want to run down the line and then purchase equipment to match those plans. I bought a cheap truggy as I knew I didn't want to be restricted to smooth surfaces like I was with the tc3 but I rushed and bought a charger. It was cheap enough at

Hi guys,

Thanks for your help, been looking on line and different esc set ups etc I've come across this set up on eBay 4700KV Brushless Motor + EZRUN Waterproof SC8 120A ESC is this something that I could run in the old TC3 and what lipos would you recommend for this set up?

Cheers

Hi guys,

Thanks for your help, been looking on line and different esc set ups etc I've come across this set up on eBay 4700KV Brushless Motor + EZRUN Waterproof SC8 120A ESC is this something that I could run in the old TC3 and what lipos would you recommend for this set up?

Cheers

that setup would be ok as for lipo`s i would go 5000mah 2s and 30c rating and up check out hobbking for lipo`s and i would go hardcase something like this and fit your own connectors

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__29003__Turnigy_5000mAh_2S1P_7_4v_30C_hardcase_pack_ROAR_APPROVED_UK_Warehouse_.html

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__38479__ZIPPY_Flightmax_5200mAh_2S2P_30C_hardcase_pack_ROAR_APPROVED_UK_Warehouse_.html

that setup would be ok as for lipo`s i would go 5000mah 2s and 30c rating and up check out hobbking for lipo`s and i would go hardcase something like this and fit your own connectors

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__29003__Turnigy_5000mAh_2S1P_7_4v_30C_hardcase_pack_ROAR_APPROVED_UK_Warehouse_.html

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__38479__ZIPPY_Flightmax_5200mAh_2S2P_30C_hardcase_pack_ROAR_APPROVED_UK_Warehouse_.html

Just bought that turnigy for my sons car. Gonna test it tonight.

Edited by optimus

Just bought that turnigy for my sons car. Gonna test it tonight.

there a good battery i use one on my scx10 and dont bother with the nano-tech ones i have the 5300 2s 30-60c ones and they just don`t last long enough after about 40 charges i tried them in a 4x4 slash and they were basicly crap just no ooomph

Edited by mini-z-awd

there a good battery i use one on my scx10 and dont bother with the nano-tech ones i have the 5300 2s 30-60c ones and they just don`t last long enough after about 40 charges i tried them in a 4x4 slash and they were basicly crap just no ooomph

Damn.

I bought a nano-tech 5800 30-60 for myself at the same time. They had decent ratings so I went for it. The zippy ones where even cheaper but I thought if be tempting fate as they seemed almost too cheap to be true. I prefer batteries that have the removable cables incase something goes wrong and the cable gets damaged but my sons car can't use them due to the layout of the battery tray otherwise I'd have bought him the same battery as mine.

Oh well, I'll see how the nano goes...

Edited by optimus

Thanks guys, would it be worth considering a 3s lipos?

Optimus - let me know how you get on tonight! Can't believe how reasonable they are cost wise!

My son is very happy. He has a 35A esc and 3500kv motor but the difference between generic nimh and lipo is amazing. He was happy when I got rid of the old brushed system that was in his car but to be fair I think that system was cheap and nasty anyway as it came with his car. The brushless system saw a marked improvement in speed (old brushed motor was 15T tamiya type and non serviceable with bushes rather that bearings). The issue was that there was no punch compared with my truggy that used lipo's and virtually the same esc/motor. It's amazing how much difference a battery can make. Technology has moved on big time since I was last into R/C.

I will say that my tc3 with a 13T motor was as fast as my truggy when the truggy had the 30A esc/3500 kv in it. I think anything north of 4500kv is going to be mental in the tc3 on 2s. There would be no need to even bother with 3s. Also 2s batteries are a bit cheaper and there seems to be tons of hard case 2s available but hard case 3s seem to be harder to come by (I just like the perceived safety aspect of a hard case).

Edited by optimus

Thing I might go for that combo with the lipos that you guys have recommended, I know it's a tough question but what kind of performance can I expect?

Just ordered a new shell with some wheels :) think ill order all the electronics tonight!

Damn.

I bought a nano-tech 5800 30-60 for myself at the same time. They had decent ratings so I went for it. The zippy ones where even cheaper but I thought if be tempting fate as they seemed almost too cheap to be true. I prefer batteries that have the removable cables incase something goes wrong and the cable gets damaged but my sons car can't use them due to the layout of the battery tray otherwise I'd have bought him the same battery as mine.

Oh well, I'll see how the nano goes...

there a ok battery to start off with but the more charges you put through them the crappier they seem to get (well for me anyway) like i said i have the 5300 2s version and there just no use for anything fast anymore the only real battery i would recommend for fast stuff would be gens ace but they cost nearly double what a nano would be for the same mah 

Also will need a lipo charger for the recommended lipos :)

if your getting batts from hobbyking look at the accucell 6 i have one it will do upto 6amps but most batt`s dont need it but the only thing is you will need is a power supply from something like a laptop 

Thing I might go for that combo with the lipos that you guys have recommended, I know it's a tough question but what kind of performance can I expect?

Just ordered a new shell with some wheels :) think ill order all the electronics tonight!

By performance do you mean speed? I dunno. Pinions, spurs, wheel diameter etc all play their part. I've never raced in a club so none of that really bothered me when I was younger. I had a few different pinions but that was it. For me my current aim is to just have the electrics running as cool (efficiently) as poss on the truggy. I'd like a set of better shocks but that's about it apart from a few hop ups.

I'd say the truggy is around 30mph (give or take) over grass with the current 60A esc/3900kv motor but the set up you are getting would take it even faster. I don't know how that would relate to the tc3 but it will be quick. New tyres will help depending on how grippy they are. The tyres on my tc3 are at least 13 years old so they are past their best. I still have some old tyre additive...I wonder if the stuff still works? Lol.

Make sure you check your shocks, mine make a squelching noise when compressed. They need a service along with the rest of the car.

Hi guys,

Cheers

Sorry to trample on the previous posters advice but DON'T buy that setup for a TC3, it is designed for 1/8th electric cars or 4wd short course cars, the ESC is very large and the motor is of a different design.

Your original suggestion of 1/10th EZRun is much better. You mentioned racing, best advice is to go to a local club and see what class is popular and what brands are well supported by local shops and racers. If you want to race, you will need a sensored system, none of the EZRuns are sensored.

Don't run 3s in a 1/10th car - the pack won't fit properly, and you can have more than enough speed from a 2s. 3s is not allowed in racing either. Standard 2s car hardcase packs will fit, the ones mentioned are probably fine, the Nanotechs from that supplier have a good reputation, but they are not BRCA legal so may not be allowed at every race meeting (although most clubs do not require battereis to be BRCA approved, national and regional competitions usually do).

It really depends if you want to race, racing is what I do in the hobby, so I can't comment on bashing equipment - to me it is all more or less the same.

The best advice if you want to race is to go to the local club and see what is used, and see what you can get support trackside for when you have issues. Budget also matters, 100 is the bare minimum for a raceable setup, and you can easily spend