• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Multiple Electric related Questions

EquinoxRC

So lets, see, i hope someone can help me with this.

Lets say i have a XP SC700-BL ESC / Reedy 540-SL 3300kV combo, on AE website it says that both can take 3s LiPos, but the max Kv on 3s is 3500kV, does it mean that the 3300kV can run 3s without problem?

The motor says: "Max. Efficiency Current: 10~40A" does it mean that 40 is the max Ah it can use? What if i use a battery that gives 100Amps, will it blow up, or will it only use the max Amps that the motor can use?

RC Electronic Specs are very confusing

Edited by EquinoxRC

Does the spec show: <3500kv ? 3300kv will be fine, providing you gear the set up correctly for 3s use.

The motor draws current, so, if drawing 40a max, your pack (at 100a constant) is capable of providing what the motor requires, therefore isn't under any stress, and won't blow up. :)

All electric setups have a 'sweet spot', ie, where packs, ESC and motor are warm at most, with no one part being overly hot; heat leads to failure. Gearing is key to this, over/under gear and you will have issues.

I suggest doing some research on the car you're running this combo in, to gain an idea of which gear set up is suitable. Always advisable to have a range of pinions to hand so you can experiment yourself.

The key is not simply fitting a gear set up, heading out and just ragging your ride; better to do some high speed test runs, regularly stopping and checking the temps of packs, ESC and motor. That way, a problem is highlighted sooner, and hopefully before something expires!

Temp guns are available on eBay/online retailers, cheap as chips, and worth having. Until then, if you can hold your finger on the can/ESC for more than five seconds, you may well be ok :)

Is there any problem with using 2s LiPo on a Stock Brushed car? The car's manual says that the ESC is incompatible with LiPos and the use of LiPos will damage the esc..Why is that? Heat problems? Lower gearing will let it run with LiPos?

Can i use a 200A ESC with a 80A Peak Motor? (Just an example) will the ESC give too much power to the motor? Or will it only give 80A Max to the motor?

Edited by EquinoxRC

LiPos deliver a lot more wallop than nimh. Current and voltage, and there is minimal dip under high loads, so it'll deliver as many amps (within limits) as you want, at 8.4v.

A nimh will start off with less voltage, and then dip as you nail the throttle. So you are restricted on both current available, and voltage.

Lipo compatible escs aren't expensive.

Is there any problem with using 2s LiPo on a Stock Brushed car? The car's manual says that the ESC is incompatible with LiPos and the use of LiPos will damage the esc..Why is that? Heat problems? Lower gearing will let it run with LiPos?

Can i use a 200A ESC with a 80A Peak Motor? (Just an example) will the ESC give too much power to the motor? Or will it only give 80A Max to the motor?

The motor DRAWS as much current as it needs, ESCs don't force-feed current, they simply pass on the current the motor is demanding.

It possibly means that it doesn't have LVC low voltage cutoff so would need to use an external alarm but someone would need to confirm as never used that esc. Edited by stretch

LiPos deliver a lot more wallop than nimh. Current and voltage, and there is minimal dip under high loads, so it'll deliver as many amps (within limits) as you want, at 8.4v.

A nimh will start off with less voltage, and then dip as you nail the throttle. So you are restricted on both current available, and voltage.

Lipo compatible escs aren't expensive.

i just got an Absima 210001 brushed ESC for a HPI 15T motor and that'll accept 2S batteries.. ! nice 3 year anniversary prezzie from the missus...! :) 

What kind of batterys do you guys use for the transmiter? rechargable AA batteries? or NiMH sticks? What is the best?

Normal non-rechargeable batteries will give better voltage ( higher starting voltage- 1.5v vs 1.2v for rechargeables ) so will last longer as a rule ( once the voltage drops too low the transmitter will cut out ), but that becomes expensive too replacing them all the time, even with cheap batts. I use Enerloop rechargeable batteries- probably the best brand around and will last for thousands of charges without losing much capacity.

• 4 weeks later...

New Question!

Let's say i buy this ESC: HobbyKing X-Car 45A Brushed Car

Continuous Current: 45A

Burst Current: 320A (10sec)

Does this mean i need to buy 5000mAh 60C LiPos? Or i just need to buy enough for the 45Amps? What happens if my Battery can only output 200Ams?

Edited by EquinoxRC