• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Losi Mini 8ight-T arrived today

ninjagaiden

Guys

I got come to find my Losi Mini 8T had arrived early - it was expected 20th June.

First impressions are pretty good. It's bigger than I thought it would be. Plastics are decent and the drive shafts are all beefy. The rear wing seems to be small in proportion to the rest of the truggy body. I had a brief run in the back garden with the AVC turned off and it runs nice and smooth.

There's good bite on the tyres and the suspension is nice and supple. However even with the body off, I found the motor was a little hot at the end of the short blitz round the garden.

I'll report more when I get a longer run.

• Like 1

You not alone with the motor heating up everyone is talking about it seems they have made a bit of a boob?.. if your running 2s its need down gearing or at least that what the manual says  :shockingscary: ..

Will be following this to see your thoughts  :thumbsup: 

I'm bidding on a Velineon 380 motor that's going on Ebay at the moment, and I'll likely drop this in. There's more space in the chassis for a bigger can than in the standard setup of the Mini 8 (even withthe nice gearcover that is stock on the Mini 8T) and so I think it would not have cost them much extra to drop in a 2848 sized can. Horizon Hobby don't currently have a 380 / 2848 motor in their lineup but it wouldn't have been too much bother to go to their OEM supplier for one. However for the price of the RTR kit I'm not too fussed, as the kit radio is actually OK and the build quality elsewhere is pretty good.

The reason people are getting annoyed over the electrics choice for this truck is easy to see.

The Mini8 had a heat problem, and when people tried to fit other motor options, it was immediately obvious they had not left enough room to allow a simple upgrade. That meant owners either had to accept what they had, or commence major surgery on the chassis.

Now....It's easy to pick that up. I know from owning one....and just read any threads about Mini8s and motors.

Losi release a truggy version with a longer chassis, bigger wheels, and a setup that naturally lends itself towards running on rougher terrain than the M8 would handle. Just screams out the need for a bigger can to provide the torque and potentially to allow a lower KV option too.

Nope...

My guess is they spent a lot of time testing on hard-packed tracks in the US on the assumption that's where the main market would be, and the setup worked well enough there.

Shame really...as it's totally put me off wanting one. Sure, you don;t expect top notch electrics on a RTR truck, but I DO expect ones that are up to the job, and where repacement is a choice not a requirement.

• Like 1

<snip>

where repacement is a choice not a requirement.

This is the thing isn't it. Supposed this came with a brushed 380 motor setup and a Nimh as an RTR kit, and an SS or roller version, no-one would be moaning would they. We'd buy the SS or roller and fit our own electrics.

Last night's testing was with a Nanotech 2S pack, not with the stock pack, and the motor was hot, which is clearly worrying, because I bought this for a mild 2S Lipo setup.

I have work preparation for the next two evenings, but I will then run the box stock RTR with the standard NIMH and AVC turned off and post motor temps. If the motor still gets hot in this configuration then I think  what Nitoroholic says is right and that the supplied motor is not 'fit for purpose'

Following the US forums, there's a fair few people who still think Lipos are evil, whereas here on MSUK I get the sense most people have moved over to Lipos.

If it's a roller or a ss version then it usually comes with no electrics but upgraded parts so no you would not complian.. However this is a rtr meaning ready to run and if it's not fit for the job then why pay the extra for the electrics that are not fit for purpose ? . It's not like there giving them to you with added extras it's a bog standard kit ..

This thinking around ok it's exceptable to have crap electrics because it's an rtr is just not right.. Guys need to run it fry it and return it, only then will losi think twice when there loosing money!. Just think if it's

OK. Guys. Time to moan. just ran it box stock with the NiMH and and shell on, and did 2 5 minute circuits round the garden on short grass, dirt and paving.

Moan 1

Run 1 end motor temp  = 48 celsius

Run 2 end motor temp = 56 celsius

Battery and ESC were fine

That's not good enough for me, as a Lipo will send it even higher. A decent heat sink might help a little but that's addressing the symptom, not the cause. I would normally stop running a motor at 50 celsius!

Moan 2

On the Lipo it cogged a little on low speed starts, but on the NiMH it cogs like anything.

The chassis and drivetrain are fine, but the motor and ESC are just not fit for purpose.

This is a

I have added my thoughts on another forum where horizon rep was asking what the mini 8 mk11 should have over the original, I added the size of the motor with no response, I have since been back on and put to them the temp problems in the T and asked why they fitted the 24mm can as it is near enough the size of a 1/10 buggy, no response as yet.

I would buy one if they had only sourced a 380 motor, leopard make a perfect 4 pole 2838, if lc racing can put the emb out with a 4 pole 2838 that is actually a stonking motor then losi/horizon have no excuse at all

Si

OK. Guys. Time to moan. just ran it box stock with the NiMH and and shell on, and did 2 5 minute circuits round the garden on short grass, dirt and paving.

Moan 1

Run 1 end motor temp  = 48 celsius

Run 2 end motor temp = 56 celsius

Battery and ESC were fine

That's not good enough for me, as a Lipo will send it even higher. A decent heat sink might help a little but that's addressing the symptom, not the cause. I would normally stop running a motor at 50 celsius!

Moan 2

On the Lipo it cogged a little on low speed starts, but on the NiMH it cogs like anything.

The chassis and drivetrain are fine, but the motor and ESC are just not fit for purpose.

This is a

Think i'll stick my money in one of these seems a much better choice and cheaper !!

http://www.wheelspinmodels.co.uk/i/180089/

Rich, if you want a mini truck why not buy the best, the mini e-revo vxl ? parts and upgrades plenty out there, electronics spot on right from the box, waterproof ... what else you want ? :) On 3s is mental, very tough and plenty of fun. It is a bit pricey but then again, it's a Traxxas... 

Rich, if you want a mini truck why not buy the best, the mini e-revo vxl ? parts and upgrades plenty out there, electronics spot on right from the box, waterproof ... what else you want ? :) On 3s is mental, very tough and plenty of fun. It is a bit pricey but then again, it's a Traxxas... 

Ive had one and never again thanks  :yes:

• Like 1

If it had the lc racing motor I would buy it, I know how good that motor is, losi have just been lazy and chosen a motor that is in the m8 buggy, they must have realised that the m8t is massive compared to the buggy nearly as big as 1/10 buggy and no one would put a 24mm motor in a 1/10 buggy so why have they put it in this.

Can anyone confirm whether or not the stock spur gear is 48dp or mod 0.5. I have seen both written in different places.

I can find 16t 48dp pinions with a 3.2mm bore to go with the Velineon motor, but I can't see any mod 0.5 3.2mm bore pinions...