• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Charlesk's new SC racer

I've built, raced and loved a DESC410 for the past 9 months, but since my local club mainly races 2wd when it comes to SCs I've decided to make the move to 2wd so I can compete with the rest.

My new SC had to have the option for mid motor ( the bulk of races that I do is on astro where mid motor is faster) that left 4 options:

DESC210 drove a few, let's face it 80% of the pack are 210s, but for me it never really clicked

22sct a bit long in the tooth and not as quick as the 210 on atro

TM2SC nice very quick but the one that I drove didn't jump as well and thought quick on high grip, come low grip they are more difficult to drive

SC6. Newly launched, expensive but having built an RB6 I took the gamble:

imagejpg1_zps16696c33.jpg

So here it is, as it arrived from the US

I'll be building it trying to keep a reasonably detailed photo-log.

Goodbye 410, welcome SC6

Edited by charlesk

oh very nice, how much less was it from the US, and are you selling your DESC410 :whistling:

To put it otherwise, no stock in the UK yet and after taxes I saved circa Edited by charlesk

Your wish is my command!!!

The build has started, it builds very much like the RB6 so far (which is a huge compliment)

Did some of the front end tonight.

Unboxing:

imagejpg1_zps2d6feb61.jpg

Front bulkhead and rack. The sc6 comes with the alloy rack as std. Built it reversed to reduce some of the Ackerman based on my experience with the rb6:

imagejpg3_zpsa1c4622c.jpg

Edited by charlesk

Side pods and servo on: (a nice ds1313)

imagejpg10_zpsa8f739d2.jpg

The sc6 uses a servo saver unlike the rb6, I suppose trucks being a bit heavier and a contact class makes sense...

imagejpg9_zpsd2d0717d.jpg

The alloy chassis is an extended version of the rb6 and the attention to detail is stunning, pictures just don't do it justice...

imagejpg8_zpsf8b7dfe7.jpg

imagejpg7_zps89fff83c.jpg

That's it for tonight...

The heart of a 2wd, the diff. A high grade tungsten carbide ball diff comes in the kit:

imagejpg1_zpsf0757cb1.jpg

4 gear box and slipper:

imagejpg2_zps370a1631.jpg

On the car:

imagejpg3_zps019021ce.jpg

That's it for now, more later.

Very pleased with how it builds so far.

I must admit, I'm now a Kyosho fan.(built hobaos, schumachers, team c, durangos over the last year and so far Kyosho is in another league).

Their high end stuff is simply built like nothing else, go together v nicely,last v well and can endure just about anything.

Had my rb6 about 3 months now, and find it v easy to setup and drive ( maybe not the fastest in v high grip but quick enough an very consistent) and haven't broken a thing. For me that is an achievement, since I usually break something at pretty much every other meeting on any if the other buggys that I've had... Even the diff is still buttery smooth without even being cleaned and regreassed...

So far the way the sc6 builds points to a very similar vehicle.

Expensive to buy, but in the long run lower running costs and more time on track rather than fixing/servicing.

Edited by charlesk

What a lovely bit of kit!! I'd love a RB6, I had the pleasure of racing one at the local club :thumbsup:

Wish there was somewhere that raced short course near me, they look a lot of fun!!

Been back in racing for just over a year, and loving every minute of it, but got to admit my preferred class is Short Course.

They may not be as quick as buggys, but they are more fun to drive and better to watch.

Nice!. I race it's predecessor,the scr and love it but the rear motor configuration is a handicap on astro.

Have been pondering over one of these but can't justify the cost

I know what you mean, I think that is the main reason why Kyosho racers are not the norm on the pack. Great cars but for a price...

Anyway, shocks done.

Cartridges:

imagejpg4_zps30bb333e.jpg

Bodies:

imagejpg5_zps9d5cb6e3.jpg

Built:

imagejpg1_zpsa05d4acb.jpg

The velvet coated Kyosho shocks got a lovely smooth action, to begin with I was slightly disappointed that for the SC6 Kyosho gone back to plastic tops (unlike the RB6), but they now have a bleed hole that helps with quick bleeding an setting the rebound you want without messing with the cartridge side.

Is there a good supplier of parts for the sc6 Charles?, I find most of my spares for the sc r have to come across from yanky land......and I get spanked on taxes every time :-(

The big bore velvet shocks are superb you won't be dissapointed

Electrics on.

Went for a shorty setup to keep weight to a min. We shall see if they have enough capacity/oomph for this, should do...

imagejpg1_zps1deb8d77.jpg

Edited by charlesk
  • Like 1

Is there a good supplier of parts for the sc6 Charles?, I find most of my spares for the sc r have to come across from yanky land......and I get spanked on taxes every time :-(

The big bore velvet shocks are superb you won't be dissapointed

Don't know about SC6 specific parts supply yet I'm afraid, but it does share quite a lot with the RB6 (hubs, knuckles, bulkheads etc) so at least some exist in the UK.

For sc specific parts it's the US for me atm too. (I did get a spare set of arms just in case...)