• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Baja 5b by RJJ

RJJ

Hello everybody here on MSUK :)

It's been a long time since I posted a build thread on here, my savage was the last one in 2010.

Some people already have seen one of my 5th scales, the losi and I sold my baja for it in 2012.

I have regretted selling my 5b as it was a good basher with some upgrades for better reliability, so last month I took the 1st steps to rectify the non baja situation.

Been collecting parts for a while & will build myself one from the ground up.

I thought this time I would do a build blog and post all progress in this thread, so what you see is where I am at.

My losi's & this baja are all blue, from top to bottom as it's my thing plus it's totally custom :)

imagejpg2_zps3de14dbd.jpg

So threshold bulkhead, kraken titantium hinge pins, gh front brace, turtle top plate, fullforce body post & IRC braces.

imagejpg4_zps583d1982.jpg

Replaced the plastic nut holder with the metal ones instead.

imagejpg6_zpsad8a2be6.jpg

Edited by RJJ

Rpm arms, tfe ball/cone combo, IRP rodends, gh front hubs, using blue nuts & washers through out, can't be the odd one out lol.

I purchased some ceramic bearings which were on offer, no good for the losi's but they fit the wheel hubs & layshaft so will use them.

imagejpg11_zps277f659d.jpg

Gh front shock tower supports plus a darksoul shock tower.

imagejpg5_zps1c1fb6d0.jpg

imagejpg9_zps88b24923.jpg

• Like 1

I was waiting on the axle extenders, a forum member Kev 'RS Fruitbat' on baja forum uk is making them, excellent work & customer service by him.

So I moved onto the gearbox. 10k ptrc diff oil, all HD gears, kraken titanium layshaft & all housed in a turtle racing quick diff housing, Phatdad cups, will be using the full phatdad system.

Using the tfe Pro bearing kit, replaces the bushes as well with bearings.

5558086F-14F0-4FF1-BD49-9205B1AD2887_zps

imagejpg1_zps36f5efd4.jpg

Yeah my hemistorm max hex is blue :)

Edited by RJJ

Back end has gh supports, turtle top plate, will be replacing the brake mount with the one piece job.

Both ends together.

3D72F855-1E5B-4C27-91D4-4668F5317448_zps

Chassis will be Kraken X3 with a modified rear plate/skid combo.

imagejpg2_zpsad1f7db8.jpg

imagejpg1_zps3e73309c.jpg

Think I will definitely run a proline under tray :)

• Like 3

Looking forward to seeing the finished product Rav.

Those Modified RC rear chassis' are a thing of beauty, couldn't believe the thickness compared to a stock one.

Crack on :D

Yeah I was blown away by it, really nice bit of kit :)

Cheers for the comments guys, hopefully will turn out nice and be up running at some point.

Always in the detail for me, steering assembly :)

Was going to use the turtle upgrade, but everyone I know who have used them ending up either bending or breaking them. Also thinking the plastic hub arms & steering wiper arms in plastic will absorb shock better.

imagejpg1_zpscd140a4b.jpg

Edited by RJJ

Last pic for a bit, need to finish up my radio box and waiting for my engine/pipe to be delivered then I can put the back end together properly.

Savox 236 on steering duty, 1267sc on throttle/brake overkill I know but it's lipo ready and splash proof.

Always nice when other sweet parts turn up :)

imagejpg1_zps9836796d.jpg

Edited by RJJ
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Progress at last :)

Radio box sorted, rx, killer rc killswitch, buzzer, led on the top shelf plus a killer lipo. Have run the kill switch wire below the battery and a rubber grommet where the lead from the engine will enter. Savox servo horns, washers in blue.

imagejpg1_zps35922fcd.jpg

Red switch will make the rx and servos live, green for lights. Both are independent so I can have the lights on without servo buzz and rx on etc.

imagejpg2_zps734212ad.jpg

Internals, have kept the split feed for lights in the lid so that I only have 2 wires to connect, the battery and the switch lead into the rx port.

imagejpg3_zps5e520567.jpg

And I like lights lol,

imagejpg4_zps48f5bf84.jpg

Edited by RJJ
  • Like 2

Front bumper is the igloo one, better aesthetics imo plus the protection.

Proline under tray starts after the plastic skid to reduce stress on it, looking more like a baja now :)

imagejpg3_zps4633545c.jpg

looking good and the infamous undertray that doesnt last long well mine did`nt anyway all of 5 mins if i was lucky and that was on grass  :xd:

Putting the back end together, not looking to bad :)

imagejpg5_zps8b6cee36.jpg

imagejpg6_zps23566d13.jpg

imagejpg1_zps1290feb3.jpg

The sway bar ends are blue, the spacers in the rear chase towers and washers in the savox servo horns are blue, my insanity levels need a check again lol.

• Like 1

That things going to have a spec list that will be too big for one post lol.

Not often I like builds like this but like with Jester, you have a certain way of making overkill look great, top job Rav :)

Thanks matey, very kind words.

Yeah I know my RC stuff divides opinion but it's just me lol, I had some dilemma's as to go for a scale look with logos etc but really it's not me and I like to think a full scale version of this or jester would look pretty cool imo :)

• Like 1