• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Tuned pipe.

Just wondering how I can get a little more speed out of my tomahwak ST runs great at the mo, just want it a little faster found a tuned pipe set but not sure if it will make much difference over the standard one fitted.

http://www.cmldistribution.co.uk/cml_product.php?range=ALL&productId=0000004780

Any suggestions?

I don't think it's going to give you the results you are after.

Look in to gearing, porting and even engine upgrades.

Pipes don't give 'wow' differences in performance although they do help.

I ported my pro BX .15 and it made a huge difference!

Edited by SirusDviruS

Not really looking to port the engine. Not sure what engine upgrade would fit, currently running the stock pro BX .18. Would a .21 fit? If so which one.

Surely a half decent pipe would give it a little more go.

About the gearing would I just get a different size tooth clutch bell? Will anyone fit or will it have to be a thunder tiger one?

As far as a different pipe is concerned, whilst significant power increases can be obtained, to do so requires a pipe matched exactly to the porting of the engine, fuel used, ambient temperature and revs (very narrow optimum band so forget about smooth and flexible throttling - it would be all or nothing). Consequently, the chances of buying something "off the shelf" that will give any significant improvement is slim indeed.

As far as gearing is concerned, yes, it can be just a matter of changing the clutch bell (or spur gear) for one with more (or less) teeth. However, if you gear it up, you will lose acceleration and it might even be slower.

As far as engine upgrades are concerned, you are very limited firstly because it is a "small block" and secondly, side exhaust. A stock .21 is "large block" so would not physically fit. An upgrade for Revo or T Maxx (RB, Picco or even Traxxas 3.3) might be made to physically fit the mountings but would be rear exhaust so that would need modification.

I think, under the circumstances, the best advice is to accept its present performance and be content with that.

As far as engine upgrades are concerned, you are very limited firstly because it is a "small block" and secondly, side exhaust. A stock .21 is "large block" so would not physically fit. An upgrade for Revo or T Maxx (RB, Picco or even Traxxas 3.3) might be made to physically fit the mountings but would be rear exhaust so that would need modification.

I have a tomahawk bx, which has the same engine as the st and am looking to replace that, preferably without major modification because the one I have doesn't run very well at all- I'm not looking for a major speed increase either, but I'm not sure what would fit- is there anything you could recommend?

A little more of both would be good, might try a few different size clutch bells to start they are only cheap, running a 14t at the moment so will order and 15t maybe a 16t too. Might make a difference if not I haven't wasted lots of money.

As for the exhaust can anyone recommend a good side exit manifold and pipe, the ones I mainly find are rear exit.

I have looked into an engine swap before and it seems to much of a hassle. The pro bx .18 is good all round, just wanted a little more and just curious how easy this was to obtain.

If you are looking for a bit more top speed and acceleration, then changing the gear ratio (as said) will add to one but take away from the other....trying a few pinions (clutch bel) is a good plan so you can see the difference yourself....

Changing the exhaust may improve the engine torque and power...or it may make the engine have less power but more torque...or neither..or....Essentially I am trying to say that changing the exhaust can give improvements to how the engine performs and even if you get the perfect exhaust for your engine/fuel/plug/gearing/etc. it is never going to be a massive improvement because of the engine.

As Shudson put it- "I think, under the circumstances, the best advice is to accept its present performance and be content with that."