• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Help wanted about engine failed

Rallyestefan

Hey guys just wanted some opinions on the cause of failure on the engine.

I have ran with a 990 carb and stock carb settings. Run 27/1 fuel ratio with castor 927 oil.

There is loads of little pieces of metal on the inside. And a nice center burn mark on the piston.

Any help greatly welcomed

BF98C3F0-3918-400F-87F3-6BEDEB5A2E11_zps

65E9B61C-9811-42CE-A2B1-6A4918055F42_zps

AEAD6A09-7DEE-454E-85AF-3422B98724A6_zps

44C45ADA-154A-4B85-B7EA-17CEEFB43ECE_zps

Cheers

27:1 a little bit of unusual mix but people run 32:1 without issue. How long had you been running that session and how old is the engine?

Edited by Rossyra

I'm guessing the metal filings are what's left of your cylinder plating.

Looks to me like the result of a mild sieze. Could have been an airleak or a problem with the fuel supply leaning off thye mix. Bit hard to tell.

Not liking the uneven carbon deposits in the combustion chamber. Especially as the clear bits line up with the transfer ports

I used to run that sort of mix but was getting more build up so was told to lessen the mix. Which I have done. It's fine for abit then this happened. It's the 2nd engine to do it to which makes me question if it's a duff batch of heads or pistons???

Nitro man what do you mean by that could that be manufacture error from the head or wrong carb settings which it was running a 990 with low 1 1/8 and high 1 5/8. ???

No way to tell if it's manufacturer error.... and wrong carb settings is something only you can tell us!

To have scraped all the plating off the barrel indicates the motor was on the way to siezing. The ring has picked up on the plating and shaved it all off. That isn;t normal...and is usually an indication of a lean mixture/overheat. That may not be down to the settings on the carb, as any form of air leak or fuel problem can reduce the fuel mix ( and the oil with it) leading to an overheat.

As you say it's not the first time..but the second...I'd say that was more than bad luck

I would also be inclined to wonder as the problem occurred just after you thinned down your oil ratio, which would have helped to mask an overheat issue by giving more lube.

What brand of engine is it? I am also curious about that inlet manifold gasket. It looks home-made. Are you cutting your own gaskets from gasket paper?

That's the standard gaskets fitted from the manufacture don't really want to say brand but it's a big one for most bashers. Obviously I only race with them and at the mo there not holding up to it and it's very costly. The carb settings were as said and fuel mix bang on as previos heads had failed last year and was instructed to adjust. Here is a different branded engine with same settings

6ADA466D-0D6F-47F2-A72F-90352F208670_zps

6C3C1062-2B39-481A-9BE7-4845CCD81E1A_zps

The black on top of the piston looks to me like a carbon build up, is it a chalky substence? Its hard to tell from a picture, if that is the case i would pressume its a ignition problem, timing will be out in that case so i would look at flywheel/coil/crank.

That issolator block gasket does look really erm weird, it looks to be sticking out the sides (alot) and not stright, doesnt appear to be sitting flush either with the head ?? Can you post some pics of that block/gasket ? Give us a better clue.

ive seen a lot of this in the motocross world, a highly tuned engine and a leaner mix will give momentary better results, but as you are finding out you need to finish a race! racing is flat out a lot of the time i would run a higher oil ratio and detune the hsn a little

You need to measure the bore diameter then we can perhaps get an idea where that metal came from. I've never seen a engine seizure that's left the piston skirt looking almost undamaged like that one appears to be. Are the bits on top of the piston steel or aluminium?

looks to me like the iso block with that gasket wasn't anywhere near sealed, leading to nearly a lean sieze/ failure if this is how the engine came it feels unfair for you not to name the tuner etc so that 1) they can defend themselves and 2) people may want to avoid them

Edited by norcoforever

It does tbh I noticed that. The bits are defo alloy fragments and melted to it both inside the head and top of piston but mostly exhuast outlet side. The engine is a obr well both are. ??

odd, neither of my obr's came with gaskets like that, but that does look like the culprit, my obr wasn't great either and died a death