• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

A little help needed..

Hi gents, dont really use the forum much but need some info on rock crawlers/scalers.

im just about to get into the hobby and im looking for the best way to, ideally i'd like to get a scaler and convert the body into a D90, but i've been told that the maverick Scout is a good place to start and is good money for what you get, im not really looking to spend massive amounts of money as im not to sure whether i'll enjoy it yet (and the 5b has strangled my wallet lol) but what sort of thing would i need to look at getting to convert the scout to a scaler bar the shell, wheels and suspention

thanks in advance gents,

Josh

hi josh. 

depends, the old D90 are a ladder design upper subframe 

the scout is a transveral plate system  

the main change would be the transveral plates into a ladder section box,

its not to hard, you will use..

axles - transferbox - shafts and couplers, gearbox and motor, shocks, mounts, battery tray,

possibly electronics and other parts inc the axle link bars and cross links. 

really the whole thing can be reused.

google the term " maverick scout scaler " and check the videos out

Scx10 dingo all day long, scouts are good but to convert it to a scaler is a little more work involved, a scx10 you just cant go wrong with, loads of parts, hopups and body choices, the world is your oyster.

Cheers gents and I only said scouts as I'm not really fussed on entering comps so a tvp chassis wouldn't make much odds to me I was just after some more info on shortening the ride height and moving the toe rods to a more suited position as I saw one at the weekend but didn't have a clue where to start,

@watchman, I love the scx10 but way over budget for what I'm looking to spend

@TamiyaCowboy cheers for the heads up on the vids I'll have a butchers at them

Hi gents, reading back I didn't really say I'm after making a scaler on a budget more than anything and the scout being just over a hundred nuts isn't a bad place to start but I'm not clued up on the bits/changes I'll need to make it a scaler as the crawlers just don't look right lol cheers again gents

to turn the scout into a scaler you will need 1st of to make some chassis rails,,then re-locate all the donor parts's from the scout,,,,,OR you could try looking around for another chassis on the cheap it would be tidier and less effort that way.

• Like 1

to turn the scout into a scaler you will need 1st of to make some chassis rails,,then re-locate all the donor parts's from the scout,,,,,OR you could try looking around for another chassis on the cheap it would be tidier and less effort that way.

Would there be no way of sticking with the scout chassis but them limiting the articulation of the axles to make it more like a scaler? Apologies in advance it's that's a dumb question but as I said I've never tried the crawlers before only nitro's and largescale so feel free to give a stupid answer lmao

no mate you carn't use the scout chassis plates...you need a rail type chassis...or the cheepest and easiest would be to buy some steel or ally type tubing from bnq etc and make your own then you would just need a mounting system for the shell to sit on the chassis

Ive seen a lot off people convert scouts into scale trucks and to be honest most off them have spent more converting than I would have cost to just buy an axial dingo in the first place

Best bet buy axial and you have something good to start with rather than trying to convert a crawler