• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Car refuses to move unless i turn it off and on again

Speeeed

I have a mt maverick evo s and about 5 times per run, it will just randomly stop and won't move until i turn the car off and back on again, the steering still works though, it just won't move.

Any help would be appreciated

Speeeed

Could be a couple of things:

Overheat cutoff, how hot does the motor/ESC get during driving?

Low voltage cutoff, what type of batteries are you using?

It could be either but from what you said I'm guessing it's a thermal cutoff. I believe the general rule is if you can't keep your fingers on the motor for more than a couple of seconds, it's too hot!

That's interesting, I wouldn't expect it to get that hot when standard. Do all the wheels spin freely? Make sure there's nothing binding anywhere and putting extra strain on the motor.

The only other thing I can think of then is to open up the motor and make sure it's clean inside and spins as easily as it should.

Before that though, try driving it for as long as you usually do but quite gently, not using full throttle at any point, and see how hot the motor gets and if it still cuts out. That should tell us if it's definitely the thermal cut out.

There are a few things that can lead to overheating:

Gearing too tall (unlikely if car is stock - usually factory settings are okay for the stock motor).

Binding in the drivetrain (quite likely if car was RTR - sweatshop assembly is often a bit hit-and-miss, especially with budget models).

Driving conditions (grass, sand and mud are more difficult for the car to push itself through than tarmac, carpet or wood floors for example, leading to higher temps and possible).

Equipment malfunction (it could just be a duff motor - it does happen).

ok, just tested, never hit full throttle and right near the end it just stopped again, waited for the engine to cool enough that i could rest my hand on it but it still wouldn't move. also when it's working and is stopped, the light on the ESC is off, however when it's not working the light on the ESC stays on, any ideas now?

• Like 1

If the motor is getting hot, it is working harder than it should be. If the motor is working harder than it should be, it is pulling more current through the ESC than it should be.

The ESC most likely has a built-in sense of self-preservation - rather than allowing itself to get fried by this excessive current draw, it shuts itself down. This is a common feature on many ESCs. (The red light probably indicates that it is in thermal mode.)

Even if the motor cools down to the point that you can touch it, the ESC's internal temperature might still be too high for it to feel safe and comfy, so it stays shut down until it feels ready to continue playing. (Or until you reset it.)

All of which leads us to the conclusion that, in order to keep the ESC calm, comfy and in the mood to play, we need to figure out what is making the motor work harder than usual. Have you checked the whole drivetrain for binding? (Not just the wheels - the gearbox and shafts too.)

Edited by XV Pilot

Problem is, a lot of stock gearing is either designed for a brushed setup or just there to get you moving, try a smaller pinion gear. My ripmax husky and jackal were the same, the brushed setup got so hot, it turned the wires into hot cheesewires, carved my fingers right up. Id say gearing plus the diffs need regreasing, could be causing internal resistance. Also clean and oil the bearings if you can.

Surely if the gearing is the problem, then it would have happened right from the first drive rather than only recently. I agree with checking the diffs and bearings, as I'm not convinced it's the gearing. I could be wrong though!

Ok, thanks for all the help, i opened up the gear box and everything looked fine, the drive shaft has a bit of grass next to it, but i don't think that the problem, my car isn't waterproof, but i haven't been driving it in very wet conditions, do you think i should open up the engine and take a look?

i think i might have found the problem, the front differential is very full if grease and dirt, it also has been dented where the pins touch it, i would send a picture but i don't know how, do you think this is the problem?