• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

using a lipo battery instead of nimh as my rx pack

MAZ

Does anyone use lipo for their rx packs?

Having problems with my 6v nimh rx battery and would rather use a lipo as a replacement. Does anyone else run a lipo pack for their rx?

Cheers

Also, the ones you have been looking at are down on capacity compared to average NiMh.

What about these - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ansmann-RC-Receiver-Battery-1500mah-Straight-RX-Stick-Pack-Red-BEC-Plug-6-0V-/370784962905?pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN&hash=item5654818959 ?

Can't go wrong at that price.

Also, the ones you have been looking at are down on capacity compared to average NiMh.

What about these - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ansmann-RC-Receiver-Battery-1500mah-Straight-RX-Stick-Pack-Red-BEC-Plug-6-0V-/370784962905?pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN&hash=item5654818959 ?

Can't go wrong at that price.

That's actually a pretty good price lol

The nanotech I linked to isn't that far off and to be honest I'd prefer to run lipo if I can. Also I'm not a heavy rc user (don't get the time) so the nanotech should be fine (hopefully!)

So if I want to run a lipo rx pack I'm gonna need a compatible rx (I use flysky) a lipo or life battery and a regulator for it - is that it or do I need anything else?

The nanotech I linked to isn't that far off and to be honest I'd prefer to run lipo if I can. Also I'm not a heavy rc user (don't get the time) so the nanotech should be fine (hopefully!)

So if I want to run a lipo rx pack I'm gonna need a compatible rx (I use flysky) a lipo or life battery and a regulator for it - is that it or do I need anything else?

Should cover it, but make sure regulator can supply at least stall current of both your servos as well.

nope just those things.

i use one of these just cut off the jst connector and add your own connector 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/380879714285?hlpht=true&ops=true&viphx=1&lpid=95&device=c&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=95&ff19=0

Edited by mini-z-awd

Should cover it, but make sure regulator can supply at least stall current of both your servos as well.

Now it's getting technical lol

Not sure what I'm looking for but will have google/ebay/hobbyking search!

I run Li-ion packs in my nitro's with a BEC (and petrol) the reason I do it is because they don't self discharge. I haven't charged it for 4months because it doesn't get used much and know the next time I do want to fire her up I only need to charge the glow starter

Because I'm a cock lol

Well...you could have dressed it a little differently.... :)

You must have a charger for nimh already?...that is it really....plug and play as they say (with a wait in between). :) 

The Life/lipo packs are only really going to offer an advantage in weight on a nitro car....and only a small % difference then...nimh will work fine unless you going pro man! :)

What about a LiFe pack? They have a nominal voltage of 6.6v and are readly available with the correct connector

flysky rx`s dont like them too much even though its 0.6v`s over what they can take and like i siad earlier i tried a li-fe with a flysky rx and it went funny after a few run`s sometimes it worked and other times it didnt. even the new fs gr-3f rx`s are rubbish and there supposed to take a lipo without a bec mine stopped working even with a bec until i had to turned it of and back on again and then it done it again and the on/off didnt work that time until a few hrs later 

I'm using a LiFe in my Hyper, no problem whatsoever. Nice to have the power to the steering servo all day! If your worried about voltage drops just pop a Lipo alarm on the balance lead. Bleeps like mad when it drops below set voltage per cell. Plus side too if you have a Lipo charger you can boost it in half hour whilst have some grub and get back out with it!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

I'm using a LiFe in my Hyper, no problem whatsoever. Nice to have the power to the steering servo all day! If your worried about voltage drops just pop a Lipo alarm on the balance lead. Bleeps like mad when it drops below set voltage per cell. Plus side too if you have a Lipo charger you can boost it in half hour whilst have some grub and get back out with it!Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Have you got any pics of your setup? And links for the life battery etc? Also, are you using a voltage regulator? What radio gear are you using as well?

Have you got any pics of your setup? And links for the life battery etc? Also, are you using a voltage regulator? What radio gear are you using as well?

I'm using no regulator and it's a ACE Cougar 2.4 tx/rx. Why would you need a voltage regulator when a LiFe pack charges to 7.2v max? My hump nimh charged to 7v??

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Had it been the beginning of the month it would a different story lol

To my mind, it's a "no-brainer" any time of the month!

The alternative is to spend a lot more money for lower capacity, more complication (regulator, alarm, etc.) and hence more to go wrong and the only advantage is lower self-discharge. Just use a switch with a charger connection fed outside your radio box and put the NiMh on trickle charge every couple of weeks so that problem is solved.

• Like 1

To my mind, it's a "no-brainer" any time of the month!

Tsssh...you old timers talking sensible...eh? :P 

We should just give up and wear our trousers below our waist too... :)