• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

tuning at different temps

bjsparks

ive found that my car needs different settings at different temps, so ive found the best way round this is to run down the road with a screwdriver turning the needles when I catch it on the move, is this normal (this is made harder when I have to remove the shell )?

so basically rush evo t-15 was going well after being broken in but after 7 minutes or so im guessing when reaching full temo she would cut out when eased back to idle and be hard to start often needing more air on the trim.i found leaning the lsn sorted out this issue but now I have next to nothing coming out of the exhaust when I run it next day or from cool same day.

so question, does leaning lsn sound right for that sort of problem and do I need smoke when starting from cold next day, (I do get it at med throttle)

cheers bjsparks

Plus you'll never be able to accuracy tune a cold engine. Don't tune it just by looking for smoke either (or temp come to that), tune it by how it runs. You eventually recognise the sound and feel of a nicely tuned engine.

are u saying the smoke out the exhaust is irrelevant rockhopper?,

as for yiour reply henry did u mean to lean the hsn as u trim down idle gap (I assume u increase idle hsn and richen to get started?

Tuning a motor when it is cold is pointless and a waste of time.

A correctly tuned motor should run OK when it is cool, and get better when it gets up to temperature. It should start and idle OK, then you just use the throttle to keep it running as it warms up. Once it's warm, you may need to tweak the needles to get the motor to ru perfectly, as different weather conditions will need fractional tune adjustments. All of this should ONLY need minor adjustment to the HSN.

Once you get your LSN tuned initially, you should be able to pretty much leave it alone.

Smoke is normal for a nitro motor. You should always have some .... but amount will vary according to tune, fuel make and throttle opening. If you are running flat out with no smoke...you are too lean. Otherwise....forget it.

Spend some time warning up your engine....then tune it. THEN LEAVE IT ALONE unless it's no longer running well!

constant random screwing about with the needles, especially the LSN, will just leave you with a car that runs badly. ALL the time.

I'm saying that the amount of smoke an engine makes is a poor indicator of its state of tune. Mine only makes smoke on initial acceleration out of corners. It's a Nova P5 running on Byrons 25% and it's running beautifully! If I run it on Optifuel Race it'll smoke like its on 60 Capstan full strength a day.

• Like 1

from all these posts I can say if my car is running ok it doesn't need smoke for first 1/4 of throttle? I had read a post previously saying smoke helps protect the engine, is this only when opening it up?

from all these posts I can say if my car is running ok it doesn't need smoke for first 1/4 of throttle? I had read a post previously saying smoke helps protect the engine, is this only when opening it up?

As said above, there's several factors why there's smoke, I now run optifuel and I get a nice smoke trail regardless of it being hot/cold/throttle position etc

Just get out in the open with a little guide and go from there, when you think its on the edge of running too lean, pull her back abit and you'll be sorted :)

Could also have smoke from the head whist it's overheating lol

Edited by sean-vrs