• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

What to do next?

Markswebpages

Having ended up with five different rc vehicles I seem to have not achieved what I set out to when I started getting into RC stuff again. The intention was to have stuff I could just chuck in the car and go use. So I know I need something more robust as the Turnigy SCT broke first time out (and waiting two weeks for parts is a royal pain in the ass), the nitro stuff is OK I love the noise, but hate the setting up. Also brushless is quicker and easier. The problem I have is I'm on a limited budget so buying used and getting bits as and when I can kinda suits me and I do get some satisfaction from tinkering and fixing stuff. But I hate dragging stuff out only for it to not work or break. So is it really better to just buy new good quality rtr (I've been looking at HPI firestorm flux and savage sx flux) as they come with a warranty and should be quite robust. Just wondering what people's opinions are when trying to get something fun and reliable on a budget. Should I sell up and pool my funds for something new or has anyone got any good suggestions for something I might be able to pick up reasonably second had that won't break 10 minutes into it's first use. I like the look of the normal size savage but they are nitro stories of what people seem to spend on them put me off a bit.

Edited by Markswebpages

It's great to have one car that's low maintaince and rarely fails, in spite of whatever else you have going on, other project cars etc.

For me, it's my E-Firestorm. A RTR flux would do you well. I brought a regular RTR off Ebay about 4 years ago and mostly all I've done is change electrics (day 1), tyres, and just setup changes for wherever I'm using.

If I brought a flux model tomorrow, all I would add is a wide front bumper and wheelie bar. And don't forget your lipo/charger.

Has anyone tried the savage xs?

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/index.php?product_id=40100&gclid=CKuUj5OE7L0CFefMtAod8mUArg

They look good fun and the one I've seen looked like it was built like a tank!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Errr did you try searching for 'savage xs'? Lots of threads on it http://www.msuk-forum.co.uk/topic/145213-everything-savage-xs/

Look for a roller second and add your own stytem as it will work out much cheaper.

Yeah maybe that's the way to go!

Is it worth buying new to get a warranty though?

As I've now realised even when you rebuild stuff it doesn't always work right.

tinkering, rebuilding, maintenance is all part of the hobby and if done correctly should work the same as factory.

Warranty covers manufacturing defects/failures etc you will still need to do maintenance, the xs is more complicated than the fs have a read through both threads i posted and search the forum and make a decision.

If you want a short course truck style instead, then you could get the Blitz. It is identical to the Firestorm, except for a slightly longer chassis and a different body (obviously.) Just giving you some other options. :)

tinkering, rebuilding, maintenance is all part of the hobby and if done correctly should work the same as factory.

Warranty covers manufacturing defects/failures etc you will still need to do maintenance, the xs is more complicated than the fs have a read through both threads i posted and search the forum and make a decision.

Yeah it's not so much the tinkering it's what you uncover when someone else has meddled with stuff. What seems to happen is a bargain quickly costs more than new with warranty.

I know stuff will need maintaining and I will naturally break stuff, but having a warranty means if say a electronic component dies or a gearbox component surely as long as it's not been messed with it should be up to HPI to fix?

I have seen a savage xs and can see it's all well packed in so probably a right sod to work on.

Yeah it's not so much the tinkering it's what you uncover when someone else has meddled with stuff. What seems to happen is a bargain quickly costs more than new with warranty.

I know stuff will need maintaining and I will naturally break stuff, but having a warranty means if say a electronic component dies or a gearbox component surely as long as it's not been messed with it should be up to HPI to fix?

I've never had a warranty on any RC I've owned, not a single component on any of them has ever died due to a manufacturing defect. I've either crashed it or it's worn out.

You would have to be extremely unlucky for a second hand model to end up costing more than new with warranty.

I have seen a savage xs and can see it's all well packed in so probably a right sod to work on.

get a second hand firestorm roller and put your own electrics in, they are so simple to work on.

Edited by stretch

I dunno i dont think another car/kit would solve the current problem. Look at the cars you have- i am pretty confident that if you sank

I've never had a warranty on any RC I've owned, not a single component on any of them has ever died due to a manufacturing defect. I've either crashed it or it's worn out. You would have to be extremely unlucky for a second hand model to end up costing more than new with warranty.
Funnily enough there was a guy in my local shop with a six month old savage and a knackered servo (not the gears either) which will be replaced under warranty. I think I've already spent almost as much the RS4 and the Wheely King would have cost new RTR Edited by Markswebpages

Shock towers? Front and rear are in stock now and so is the rear alloy upgrade.
No stupidly I didn't think of that, I ordered alloy bits for either end of the suspension (got hubs but couldn't get the front carriers/uprights) and two lots of wishbones. Maybe if I keep it I'll order the alloy suspension uprights just in case. Mind you I was also thinking it was getting a bit much price wise as I didn't know if I would keep it. Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk Edited by Markswebpages