• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Baja 5b - help / advice PLEASE!

dagswe21

1. post in the petrol or largescale where most of the baja owners on the forum tend to be

2. be abit more specific on what you want to know so we can give you a general idea with some kind of flow instead of jumping in randomly like a blind fly.

3. welcome to the forum

Oops not sure what happened.. I just posted the title for this forum thread.. Sorry!

So I have been dabbling in the world of RC cars since i was a teenager in the late 80's. After a break, due to work and all,I got back into it as I needed a hobby.

I am now the proud owner of an HPI Baja 5b. Here's my question:

Having had huge fun with the standard model for about 2 years, I keep reading about the "Kings two speed engine version, around 30cc or so ( mine is the standard 23cc). So... Does anyone know where I can get these in the England (I live in the South East, in Kent). More important, I need someone dependable, who knows what they're doing, to either do the swop, or assist me In doing it, as I'm not very confident. ANY help is HUGELY appreciated, thank you in advance!!!!

I can only assume you mean what's the King Motor engine like?

For an upgrade, you may want to look along the lines of the CY (Chung Yang) F270, it's a very good engine, nice amount of power and seems to have a nice torque curve.

As for getting help doing it, it's not that hard once you've done it once.

Worst thing you can do with an RC IMO is take it to the shop, unless it's new bought from there and has an issue they need to rectify, but for fixing things, just get stuck in and do it yourself.

If you never do it, you'll never learn.

Theirs plenty of videos on Youtube about building them and engine rebuilds and stuff, you can also download the manual which shows it all as well.

More than enough information to make an engine swap quick and painless :)

I reckon before buying a new engine or investing any money spend some time in the petrol & largescale section of this forum. You'll gain a ton of knowledge here & then hopefully later you can make a more informed decision on what you want.

Or if you let people know what exactly you want from a new engine they can help you decide what would be best for you.

Btw what I can take from 'kings 2 speed' is that it's a KM engine with a 2speed. (Which are the gears) that's a separate thing in itself.

The man above is all the help you'l need in your surrounding area fella :) problem solved if you're close enough.

I agree with Maesterio though, maybe I jumped the gun a bit on the engine, but I found it to be a nice all rounder, so unless you want silly torque or silly top speed, it's a good choice, especially for the money!

Hello everyone,

Thank you all so much for so many helpful replies - and all so quickly!

I've been given lots to think about/investigate, not least, exploring the resources of these pages and forum (thank you maestereo!).

I have almost certainly decided to ditch the two-speed idea. I think I will be looking at buying an hpi 26cc pull start, and possibly custom pipe, to give it some more oomph.

Hi Thunderwolf; I don't know if we could come to some arrangement where you could assist with the more delicate parts of an engine replacement? Not sure what form this would take, but is this something you would consider? I live about 25 min straight up the M20 from ashford, 5 minutes from the motorway. With three Bajas, I'm guessing you're something of an expert. Would you be willing to consider helping out a relative "novice"? No hurry - please do think about it!

Thanks again to all,

Dag.

certainly not an expert, even after 4 years of largescale i still learn things new.

i'm fine with you coming around with your baja and going through it, engine change is fairly easy but its only one thing you can do to up the power, happy to go through them if you like.

just drop me a pm and we can sort out a time and date, just don't forget the car, transmiter and fuel ;)