• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Storage charge rate

loftuz

Hi all

I've put my battery's on to storage charge this morning. So far it's been on for 120 mins and cut out due to a time limit on the charger. Can I increase it to more than 0.1a

Would it be safe to go this?Posted Image

If this is like my one, when you select lipo storage and press the enter button, you can press the right/left button when 0.1A flashes and ramp it all the way up to 1amp, but that is as far as it goes.

What is the final voltage set to? If you need to go UP to the final voltage, throw it on balance charge until just before that voltage, then take it off balance charge and do the last few 0.1-0.2v on storage charge at 1A (thats the fastest way)

if you are coming DOWN from a higher voltage to the lower voltage, either use the battery or have a long wait!

by the way, while its on storage (as per your image) press the left button to find the target voltage the charger is trying to achieve.

Just feel for me, my ESC has blown a minute into running a fully charged 5200mah battery.... discharging at 0.7A (because for some reason it won't go to 1A) is taking HOURS! (4hours maybe at 0.7A) pain in the backside!

Posted Image

It's set at 11.4v. I'm coming down as the battery was almost full. If I increase it from 0.1a will it be safe then as am new to lipo and don't want to burn the house down.

I'd have some explaining to do with the wife.

Yeah, from the top of my head the discharge rate of that battery is 30c so technically you could discharge it at 30times the capacity

30 times 2200 mah  (2200mah = 2.2 Ah) therefore you could technically constantly discharge it at 60A plus safely 

(please correct me if i'm wrong anyone) so 1A won't harm it.

charge rate, you want to charge at 2.2A (2200mah = 2.2 AMPhour) you charge at 1x capacity (1c) therefore you charge at 2.2Amp (2200 ma) safely.

Should take less than an hour from storage charge to fully charged. 

Edited by vibrating_cake

Thanks for that. This lipo business is kinda like a mine field to me at the moment. Ask me about nitro issues and I'll probably have a good idea how to sort it. But electric it all new. You just hear horror stories about lipo's exploding or catching fire.

Yus, i'm new too! But it's all good fun!

I'm the opposite, nitro is doing my head in but electric is lovely! (compared)

One last question, do you know what the counter in the bottom left corner is for? It seems to go up by 1 every 5 second or so?

bottom right you mean ;).

the 00030?
Its the amount of Mah it has put in or taken out of the battery.

so if you drained your 2200mah battery fully flat then charged it (dont go below 3v per cell by the way) theoretically that should display 2200 at the end of the charge, saying its added 2200mah into the battery.

From storage charge it'd probably put about 1100-1300 into the battery.

if you press the Right button while charging etc you can see the induvidual cell voltages also.

That charger is only 5w discharge up to 1amp. So will only dischage a 3s pack at about 0.2/0.3 of a amp so it will take ages to get to storage charge 3.8/3.85v per cell from fully charged. You will be better off useing the pack for 5-10mins and then do a storage charge.

And yes you will need to connect the balance lead so it can balance the cells out.