• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

HPI Bullet Problem!

JamesBryan

Bought a HPI Bullet ST 3.0 last weekend from Modelsport.

Been running it in the past few days.

Took it to a big unused car park today and something weird has happened...

It took off full throttle into a kerb and smashed the front up.

It did this all on it's own with absolutely zero input from me.

I applied the brake and it did nothing, i then switched the radio off thinking the fail safe would kill the throttle and that didn't do anything either.

What has happened??

All batteries are brand new.

Fail safe was working when i first used it as i tested it by pulling full throttle on the radio and then switching the radio off and the servo went back to neutral.

Brakes are working perfectly.

Only thing i can think of is interference, but surely that should be pretty rare...

Could the servo horn come loose or even the throttle linkage to the carb could of come loose?

When setting up the failsafe really you want it to be applying brakes not going to neutral position, if you are doing 30mph + and the failsafe kicks in and moves to neutral the chances are your still going to be doing some speed when it hits something.

So you are using 4xaa batteries that came with it? did you have it switched on while you were breaking the engine in? if so my guess is that the batteries are getting low and under pressure they gave up. Go for a rechargeable hump pack as soon as you can.

Yes sure it works o/k when it sat in front of you but put the batteries under strain then they may not work so well.

• Like 1

Yeah the 4 AA's

It's only been ran for about 10 tanks of fuel, wouldn't have thought the batteries would be dieing yet.

I'll get a rechargeable pack though.

I'm going to check the fail safe too and set it again if need be.

Fair bet that the batteries are dying under pressure, when you are driving the car you are putting in multiple inputs. AA s do not last very long. You say 10 tanks of fuel say 10 minutes per tank 1 hour 40 minutes the batteries have been running for plus the time you was driving it for before the acceident .

Just an update on this, put new batteries in the Tx and a brand new hump pack battery in the RX and still having a weird problem.

Basically I tested that the power was working by holding full brake and the servo would go to brake then back to neutral then back to brake in a repeating fashion. It also plays up on full throttle and and steering.

Anyone got a clue what is happening.

Obviously batteries are ruled out, is it a dodgey receiver or transmitter.

Would re binding the pair possibly work?

Just an update on this, put new batteries in the Tx and a brand new hump pack battery in the RX and still having a weird problem.

Basically I tested that the power was working by holding full brake and the servo would go to brake then back to neutral then back to brake in a repeating fashion. It also plays up on full throttle and and steering.

Anyone got a clue what is happening.

Obviously batteries are ruled out, is it a dodgey receiver or transmitter.

Would re binding the pair possibly work?

hi, I had your same problem with my trophy truggy, holding the brake and after 2 seconds it was going to neutral on its on, for me was enough to change the battery as they were almost gone, I use a pyramid 2+3 from HPI and they fit both Trophy truggy and bullet MT, when I changed them I had only the HPI stock one (4AA 2700) which worked pretty good and are still lasting, similar thing on my rally game car, in that case would not steer , new battery pack and back to work as usual

on the truggy I also noticed that when the battery was almost gone even the wheels would not turn full and smoothly, but as I said new battery solved the problem

I have new batteries in both the transmitter and the receiver though...

could it be that the servo horn has worn-out some of the teeth? just guessing at this point

just a question, can you set the idle to let the car stay still when you leave it on the ground?

Edited by antonio76m