• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Motor can end cap

mydoddy69

Been waiting for 5 weeks for my new motor to show when it finally does it's damaged .. Now i may have to send it back but that is going to cost a pretty penny so here is the damage 

8b6ca5967a644e2295584a49be727b9d_zps36ca

14981ad020deebe57a88b7eb322be53c_zps634d

67e4bf1806236d235e95ca5e63d03382_zps25b4

Now the motor spin's fine and i can just tap the other 2 holes back in shape but this one is a no go shaft seems fine and all wires are fine .. Question is will it make much of a difference if i have 2 good holes and one that is just pinching the outer can ?? Or is it toast and i should just bite the bullet and return it ?? 

• Like 1

bite the bullet pal or try get em to send you another i have in the past theyve given me freebies due to being late etc 

or just tell em it hasnt arrived if its from chinatown and ask for a replacement mr rm failed to deliver lol

Have to agree with above mate open a PayPal case item not as described never know seller might change his mind with regards to sending a replacement once case is open? Worth a try, and regardless of what he puts in his advert about covering return postage if the item is clearly damaged can't see why PayPal wouldn't refund you, good luck mate.

Sent them an email with pics and all the info will just see what happens, if they still insist on returning it tracked i'll open a paypal claim or a dispute with ebay.. It was clearly wrapped by the seller in a damaged condition then sent out .. I have just rooted through the bin and found the original outer packaging as well so going to take pics of that .. There are no marks tears or anything on that.. 

Would not touch that motor with a bargepole!

Only way that can happen is for the motor shaft to have been smacked hard into the end cap, knocking it off. That's not a gentle tap doing that...it's split the outer casing. The hole punched in the box bears that out too.

Consider what it will have done to the bearings, the magnets, the shaft ....

If you run that motor and it fails in short order, you would have no comeback as they can easily say you have run the thing incorrectly and ruined it.

Start a PayPal dispute anyway. I have found more than once that a company did not want to listen to me at all, but as soon as I opened a dispute, they listened to PayPal. Ultimately, they will have grounds to claim off the shipping company anyway....so they are unlikely to be out of pocket. The insistance on return postage stance is to weed out scammers trying to get a free motor by claiming it's faulty....but in your case...the pictures clearly show what has happened.

So after a little back and forth emails the seller has now agreed to issue a refund and i can keep the motor  :thumbsup: .. Mind you i'm yet to see this refund but i'll give them a few days .. Should i just toss it in the bin or run it see what happens.. Perhaps mount it in a vice and give it full beans once i sort out those bolt holes  ?? Or do you think it might burn up my ESC, the motor spins OK in the hand thou no binding at all just the normal resistance ??  

So after a little back and forth emails the seller has now agreed to issue a refund and i can keep the motor :thumbsup: .. Mind you i'm yet to see this refund but i'll give them a few days .. Should i just toss it in the bin or run it see what happens.. Perhaps mount it in a vice and give it full beans once i sort out those bolt holes ?? Or do you think it might burn up my ESC, the motor spins OK in the hand thou no binding at all just the normal resistance ??

have u got an old esc??? I'd fix the cap and run it up..n never know it might b fine or it might b toast......

Got to admit i am temped to use my old sc8 and just give it a blast on 4s see what happens.. Think i'll wait till the refund comes then give it a shot got nothing much to loose i guess ? 

So i finally get my refund and i can keep this motor  :thumbsup: .. So what to do with it ? well being the tight sod i am i have repaired the outer can as best i can and have given it a blast on a 4s, not in a truck just on the bench and all is fine.. Seems to spin up OK and hold a constant rpm even at full throttle there was no nasty noise.. Now i know its not under load but if there where any problems they should have shown up right ???.. So do you think i should fit it in a truck and try it under load ???

Couple of pics of what the end cap looks like now i have hopefully fixed it 

DSC02093_zps77e78861.jpg

DSC02092_zps9fd05673.jpg

This was the hole that was oval it broke a tiny piece off when i tried to fix it so its only really just pinching the outer can with a washer .. I may just re-drill a hole and re-tap it ??..

So i finally get my refund and i can keep this motor :thumbsup: .. So what to do with it ? well being the tight sod i am i have repaired the outer can as best i can and have given it a blast on a 4s, not in a truck just on the bench and all is fine.. Seems to spin up OK and hold a constant rpm even at full throttle there was no nasty noise.. Now i know its not under load but if there where any problems they should have shown up right ???.. So do you think i should fit it in a truck and try it under load ???

Couple of pics of what the end cap looks like now i have hopefully fixed it

DSC02093_zps77e78861.jpg

DSC02092_zps9fd05673.jpg

This was the hole that was oval it broke a tiny piece off when i tried to fix it so its only really just pinching the outer can with a washer .. I may just re-drill a hole and re-tap it ??..

I reckon if u u take it easy and build up the load and see how it copes. .....jus run it up n down the road to start.....chk that screw now n again to see if it works loose.....that's probably gonna b the issue if any thing. ......if so drill/re tap...try again.....

It's good to hear this ended well. :thumbsup:

I ordered some diff oil and it arrived 1/3rd empty as it had leaked out.

I got a replacement FOC :)

I hope your damage repaired motor gives you a lot of happy r/cing!

So been out for a blast took the first couple of pack's easy and kept checking all was well then for the the next 2 i let all hell loose on the trigger finger.. Guess what happened ? Nothing all is well motor ran like a charm i'm well happy  :thumbsup:

• Like 1