• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Hubsan Q4 Nano...

jari

Unfamiliar posting territory... just bought my first quadcopter. Total impulse purchase. Went into hobby stores in St.Albans to buy some diff shims.. got a demo of the hubsan and just had to have it.

Trying to get used to it....

has a good ground effect too. i.e. close to the floor you get more lift from the blades.

btw. the struts that hold the motors are the pcb itself... i.e the circuit board is structural

it has low, medium and high response for the controller. I am using it on low at the moment... this is 30% of full response. I guess like turning the end points down on a car.

Struggling to get my head round how it actually flies and rotates though.

i.e. why when you rotate left or right does it drop? Less lift presumably but why?! Same with elevator or aileron...

Can't find the rotor spares anywhere online at the moment though :( and I can see I will need some. hence the striping on the white rotors.

It will apparently loop the loop. not tried yet!

Edited by jari

My X4 did the same until I ran it through a re-calibration of the gyro.

It shouldn't drop, as the turn is just varying the relative speeds of the props. There is sometimes need to compensate on the throttle for a turn, but you soon get used to that!

These things are fairly durable due to the light weight. Just get used to throttling back to idle in a crash situation ( Stalling props will lead to a fried board ). That and not flying into solid objects :)

I'd agree with Jon, re-calibrate it if it's losing height, it shouldn't really, well nothing particularly noticable, maybe 1cm or so at most.

Also having it on the lower setting won't help, you should start on medium or even top in a nice open area to save against damages and just go gently with the inputs.

Googled this a bit ... and it looks like the Q4 uses the same process as the X4 for calibration. Lots of You-Tube vids for that.

Also...one guy tried binding a Q4 to an X4 TX and it worked. I got a spare TX if you want to try it. You might find the controls a bit easier to get to grips with.

Googled this a bit ... and it looks like the Q4 uses the same process as the X4 for calibration. Lots of You-Tube vids for that.

Also...one guy tried binding a Q4 to an X4 TX and it worked. I got a spare TX if you want to try it. You might find the controls a bit easier to get to grips with.

Do you think the X4 transmitter is comfortable?

I find it really nice in my size hands... For such an unconventional shape lol.

Be great to try the spare transmitter. Next bash maybe? The small one fits my children's hands perfectly.

on the subject of dropping on turns...

the manual states you should have to compensate with throttle when manoeuvring. Makes sense to me - presumably the rotors must be running at different speeds when turning or using elevator/aileron? 

I have tried recalibrating, but nothing seems to change. Must be doing it wrong. There is no feedback from the quad at all.

From the manual you are supposed to keep left stick down and to the right, then waggle right stick left/right/left/right. Then the quad is supposed to blink its lights at you. No blinking happens. Is there a sequence to get right? i.e.d o you need to turn on tx before rx or vice versa to calibrate?

Tried a few times at work today. It is the perfect flier for a 5 minute coffee break... charges up from the USB from the laptop, then a quick breaks worth.

Sounds like a horde of mosquito's though and draws everyone's attention... not quite as anti-social as my bosses quad. He's got a Parrot AR Drone 2 that he flies round the office sometimes when all are gone home. Very good way of enforcing a "clean desk policy" as long as you don't mind coupling it with a "paper covered floor" policy...  (We don't have either policy btw. ... )

i've never had a decent heli / quad before. had a two channel heli before.

trying to get to grips with "how" to fly it. 

I think because it can hover and go backwards it is that bit more mind bending than a plane. At least with a plane you know you can't hover or go back. Maybe I'll try flying it like that... always forwards! and get used to the yaw/rudder.

great fun.

Edited by jari

Hi there. Just joined the forum and it's great to find a site like this full of info and advise

I also have a Hubsan Q4 which I have enjoyed for the last 3 months, can't say the family feel the same way, ha.

Recently one of the motors has stopped working.

If you power up it doesn't rotate, give it a flick With yer finger and it starts to spin. Power down and back up again nothing.

I also tried the sequence with the paddles in different positions to re calibrate the giro with no joy? Any ideas.

I work away in the Middle East so I am using the time to research my next upgrade for when I get back to Blighty.

I live on the edge of the new forest and have been walking the dog there for over 14 years. I know where the buzzards nest, badger sets are and where the deer like to meet. Would like to use my next quad to have a better view of them.

Sounds like the motors had it mate,had it happen on my x4 after a crash.motor would only sometimes spin if I gave the propellor a flick to get it going but soon wouldn't even do that .i picked up 4 genuine motors for

• 1 year later...

Be great to try the spare transmitter. Next bash maybe? The small one fits my children's hands perfectly.

on the subject of dropping on turns...

the manual states you should have to compensate with throttle when manoeuvring. Makes sense to me - presumably the rotors must be running at different speeds when turning or using elevator/aileron?

I have tried recalibrating, but nothing seems to change. Must be doing it wrong. There is no feedback from the quad at all.

From the manual you are supposed to keep left stick down and to the right, then waggle right stick left/right/left/right. Then the quad is supposed to blink its lights at you. No blinking happens. Is there a sequence to get right? i.e.d o you need to turn on tx before rx or vice versa to calibrate?