• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Pharrel's Losi 5ive-T - *Update*

Pharrel

Hello there. It's about time I created this thread.

If you are planning to buy a 5ive anytime soon, this might be a thread worth looking at.

I bought my 5ive a few months ago and only had it out twice. I got it off Ebay used, but in perfect condition. It came with a Savox 0235 for steering, stock 26cc engine and a Bartolone tuned pipe. All that + a DDM black magic receiver battery and a Spektrum DX3S with 2 receivers.

Some pictures when it was still like new:

20130910_143659.jpg

20130910_143624.jpg

20130910_143807.jpg

When winter came and there wasn't a day when it wouldn't be raining... I decided to do a full strip down and rebuild, along with a couple of upgrades.

A list of all the upgrades up to date:

Silverback Monkey Nuts

Silverback V3 outer beadlocks and inners

TGN Air filter cover

OW Crankcase/Flywheel Cover

Pullstart cover

KILLER R/C 7200mAh 7.4v RX Lipo Battery

FullForce RC Losi 5IVE-T Aluminum Rear Skid Plate

FullForce RC Losi 5IVE-T Aluminum Skid Plate - Front

DDM Racing "Pro" Throttle Linkage for Losi 5ive

5ive-T Rear Springs 10.7lb. Rate, Orange

5ive-T Front Springs 14.2lb. Rate, Orange

Vertigo Quick Release Gas Tank Posts for Losi 5ive

Copper RC Exhaust Gasket

Outerwears Losi 5ive-T Shockwears - Black

Bartolone Clutch Bell

Bartolone Losi 5IVE-T Engine Mesh Plate

Bartolone Pre-Drilled Clutch Housing

DDM Billet Gas Cap

Full-Force RC v2 High Flow Fuel Line Kit

Losi 5IVE-T DT-1 Low Profile Filter

TGN Velocity Stack

Bartolone XP Big Bore Silenced

And lastly...

OBR ProStock 30.5cc Billet cased.

Currently, the truck is running 30k/100k/15k differential oils. I am still yet to try this setup.

For 2-stroke oil I went with Maxima Castor 927 after being recommended it by a lot of people and my engine manufacturer.

I've also bought some TLR Shock Oil 40wt which I am yet to try out.

Since I like being able to easily remove the engine and I hate the Dark Soul quick release connectors... I bought these Kent connectors which are perfect. They seal automatically when disconnected and are much better quality. You get what you pay for.

Also, the KENT connectors have large diameter holes which makes them perfect for use with the high flow fuel line kit.

A link for those interested: http://rc-car-online.de/shop/en/products/y0040-y0040-kent-hose-quick-couplings-for-all-1-5-1-6-cars.html

The clutch carrier had 3 holes drilled into it for extra cooling, which will hopefully eliminate clutch fade.

I will be running a Bartolone XP Big bore(silenced) pipe but I haven't fitted it yet. I have cleaned it thoroughly to get rid of any rust, and I will hopefully get to paint it with very high temperature resistant, black matte paint.

I recently got the Killer RC 7.4 7200mAh LiPo which will give me more torque and help with servo fade:

20140307_173536.jpg

And now.. for some up-to-date pictures, 95% complete.

20140307_174008.jpg

20140307_174051.jpg

20140307_173335.jpg

20140307_173309.jpg

20140307_173258.jpg

20140307_173225.jpg

20140307_173146.jpg

I do apologize for poor quality pics here but it was getting a bit dark.

So this pretty much sums it up, I will update this thread when I paint and fit the pipe and when I buy more stuff obviously :P

Some upgrades that I am still planning to do:

Silverback 5imian wheels

Insulator kit from Killer RC

Silverback beadlock screws

Hostile MXT tires

The first three things I will be ordering quite soon. As for the tires, I will wait for the stock ones to wear our, and I'm pretty sure I will be waiting some time as these tires are near indestructible.

Short Review

To finish off for now, I thought I might as well share some of my thoughts on the Losi 5ive(note that this is a short review and doesn't cover everything):

To start off with, this is my first 5th scale truck. When I first saw the truck on the day I went to pick it up, I was amazed how big it was. Mainly because I was used to 1/10th scales, but this thing is a beast. Everything on it is BIG and seems almost oversized. The plastics are very thick, and the overall build quality is above anything I've seen before.

The truck was designed for the track and uses the same chassis layout as the Losi 8ight. Maintenance on this truck is very simple and it's possible to disassemble the whole thing in less than an hour. This also helps a lot when it comes to cleaning the truck as most things are held in place with no more than 5 screws.

My first day out with the truck was amazing, I was impressed by how scale it looks when it drives past but I noticed that the rear end of the truck bottoms out a bit too much. This was solved later on when I fitted Orange springs all round with max-preload.

The stock 26cc engine had just enough power with the tuned pipe to make bashing fun as the truck was neither too slow or too fast but I did get a feeling that it struggled quite a bit on hill climbs and when cornering. The 5ive is very planted on the ground and is a pleasure to drive. People will constantly say that 4WD isn't as much fun to bash as 2WD but IMO they're wrong. The things that make the 5ive a lot of fun to bash, are it's scale looks and it's size+weight. When it goes over rough terrain it just looks like the real thing. As for jumping, it is very controllable mid-air unlike the 2WD trucks, and it just flies. There were times when I had a bad landing but that was all my fault for hitting the throttle too early or too late.

With my new differential oil setup I am hoping that the truck will wiggle its tail a bit more, especially since I bought a much more powerful engine and now more power will be sent to the rear wheels.

All I can say for running costs, is that 1 tank of fuel lasted 40-50 minutes the first time I ran the truck. As for spare parts, I haven't broken a single thing yet, and I am one of those people who only buy spare parts when stuff breaks. The 5ive is very tough and will withstand a lot of punishment which makes it a great racer/basher truck.

Now for things that you should consider doing when you buy a new one those:

1. The radio tray will bend upwards when breaking. Personally I haven't done anything about this yet, but you do lose some servo torque when this happens. This problem can be solved by a DIY mod or by buying a Rock Armour brace from freeprawnracing.

2. The stock engine will wake up when you install a tuned pipe and it is worth playing around with differential oil settings to get the best results IF you don't want to buy a new engine. The motor is a genuine CY and is very durable so will last a very long time if maintained properly.

3. It is worth reinforcing the body shell with tape, shoo goo or what have you. The fenders may crack on crashes and the body shell/panels aren't cheap. The good thing is, you can buy body panels and roll cage parts separately so you don't have to spend

Edited by Pharrel

Very good write up there bud agree with most of it, some bits I don't agree with but each to there own and I won't point fingers ;)

Do feel free to share your opinion :thumbsup:

All of that just for a basher  :shockingscary:

That said I cant wait to see it ripping around next time I see ya  :thumbsup:

Well, we might end up racing soon :whistling:

Wow, an OBR. I thought you were a poor Student lol  :xd:

I am... :030:  Got a good deal on it + I managed to sell my old engine so I thought why not :sweeeet:

Are you not tempted to do something with the panels/body to make them more your own?

that may happen at the track when he brings it along  :whistling:  :whistling:

you know iam only joking iam not that bad of a person 

Edited by mini-z-awd

Why not indeed, if you has the cash, splash.

Are you not tempted to do something with the panels/body to make them more your own?

I am indeed. I bought the orange beadlocks because I am planning to repaint the body Orange+Black at one point. Can't really decide what's it gonna be yet.

Seems like I might have to strip it down again... The pinion gear is not aligned correctly and I fear it might be something in the clutch carrier.

The pinion wobbles side to side a bit too much at the moment.

The pinion sits very tightly in the clutch bell, I made sure it went in the slot. But the pinion should spin more freely... I had a problem yesterday trying to mount the engine, when I tightened all the bolts from underneath, the gears were at a wrong angle and made a gritting noise when I turned the wheels.

I was replacing the clutch carrier bearings and I am sure they went in correctly but I will check again.

The writings on the 19T inserts are facing the air filter side and the gear mesh is correct.

I managed to get rid of the noise by installing the 4 bolts from underneath but not tightening them and then installing the Bartolone mesh plate first to have the engine sit in one place. Then I tightened the engine bolts and the noise went away but now the pinion still wobbles a tiny bit.

It seems as if the rear mounts in the engine are not aligned correctly... might have to replace the fan cover perhaps?

I ordered some Fast Eddy clutch shims. I'm pretty sure the cover is CY although the engine is an OBR Zenoah. Something I will need to have a look at again I guess...

I'm thinking of replacing a couple of parts on my 5ive, what do you think of this combo:

Turtle Racing HD Clutch Carrier
Vertigo Hex Drive Pinion
Vertigo Hex Drive Vented Clutch Bell

Not sure what you mean. What you want is the Bartolone pre-drilled housing or you could drill and tap any other housing, to fit a mesh plate that is.

Edited by Pharrel

Well, the pinion is still wobbly so I guess I will need to look into the bearings again.

As a test I installed the carrier on its own without the rest of the engine. I realised that the carrier is at a slight angle causing the weird gear gritting noise. When I manually pull it back and straighten the gears out the noise is gone.

I had closer look at the chassis and everything seems straight, I'm confused as to what's wrong..

Now awaiting arrival of:

DarkSoul Open clutch carrier

Verigo Hex Drive Bell

Vertigo Hex Pinion gear

and the Killer RC Insulation kit.

My stock carrier is damaged as it turns out so this will be getting replaced.

Well, since the 5imian wheels by Silverback are on limited stock I thought hell, let's get some.

DarkSoul open carrier still on backorder, hopefully it will arrive soon.

Now also awaiting arrival of 5imian black wheels and beadlock screws.