• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

oodboo's Mog

It's arrived:

f3669ded3914d6470b76dc6fd5a45e6d_zps9944

I've made a start on the build but I'm in no rush to finish it. Going to get it build up as standard (plus bearings and a 55t motor) then look at mods and upgrades.

The intention is to mount a camera in the cab for some FPV driving.

Steering mod is a must by all accounts, but what else should I be looking at?

• Like 1

I'll get it a bit more built first, it's at work where the missus can't see it so I only get to work on it for an hour or so at the end of the day. Might get some progress photos if I remember.

I've sat all day at work and finished the initial build. A quick test run round the office tells me it's too fast. I was hoping it would be slower with the 55t motor but it's too quick for what I want. I've been looking at the GRU from RC4WD so might get one of them, but that means more mods to make it all fit.

I also need to look at how I'm going to fit my battery in. I've stopped using nimhs and the lipos I was planning on using are a little bit too long. It might fit with a little bit of trimming on the chassis but I don't want to cut it then find it still wont fit.

Sorry, no pictures as I don't have a camera with me.

Have you tried these?

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/overlander-7.4v-30c-3250mah-lipo-sport-track-pack/rc-car-products/379011

They are a teeny bit longer than Ni-mhs, but fit in almost all Ni-mh chassis. They fit perfectly in my TT-01 for example, although I had to trim off the jutting-down bit from the battery bar.

ood,

you want a 60t-80t motor, dont bother with the extra money on the gru, its a waste to be honest......

i found the same issues when doing my chassis, i blocked up the hole in the side and built a tray so i now use the turnigy nano tech 2200 lipos, last around 30odd mins each but for 7 quid a pop, cant grumble....

looking forward to seeing this progress mate :thumbsup:

Cheers big Gaz, I think the small, cheap lipo will be the better option. Guess I'm looking for an 80t motor as well, probably cheaper and certainly less faf the a gru.

The overland sticks look ok but I think I'll go with the cheaper option.

Time for some photos.

Chassis and controller:

DSCF3893_zpsb6be1302.jpg

With the body sitting on it:

DSCF3895_zpsc11ae2ee.jpg

Another shot:

DSCF3896_zps58726bec.jpg

Running video:

Still needs a lot of work, I haven't secured the electronics as they will be changing. Not sure but I think I'm going to go for the mtroniks tio rock esc and an 80t motor. I'd also like some bigger tyres on there. I think they look too small. The standard tyres are 96mm, I was going to go up to 108mm.

I've left the rear diff unlocked for now but that might change when I get it out and start running it. Could be worth just locking it anyway, not sure. The whole slow thing is new to me but that seems to be the right thing to do from what I've read.

I need to get something decent for cutting out the body as I don't want to make too much of a hash of it, then I need to spray it.

Not too far off complete but it's probably about 6-8 weeks away from nearing completion.

Edited by oodboo
  • Like 1

Bizarre controller! How easy is it to handle? I guess on a slow model it probably wouldn't affect you much.

Agreed on the tyres, some big ones with nice chunky tread would look the part.

Good thread! :good:

• Like 1

Thanks, it's pretty easy to use really, just need more space than the office. I used it at the weekend with my lunchbox and that's pretty quick but it was intended to be used on slower models. That's the first of many alternate controllers I have planned.

Speaking of alternate controllers; the gadget show entered a Robot Wars-style competition a while back using a wii-mote as the transmitter, and it worked really well! They used the motion-sensor technology for throttle, brake and steering. Ever thought about something like that?

80t motor fitted and I'm much happier with the top speed. I've also cut the body out and I'm hoping to get it painted sometime this week. Ordered some new masking tape which should be here tomorrow so I can make a start masking bits off ready for the first coat.

Cheers big Gaz, I think the small, cheap lipo will be the better option. Guess I'm looking for an 80t motor as well, probably cheaper and certainly less faf the a gru.

The overland sticks look ok but I think I'll go with the cheaper option.

I use Overlander 4800 mah pack, non-lipo and it lasts me  well over 30 mins of run time