• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

MSUK lifestyle change thread (ok, diet thread)

Bigjimknickers

Well I figured as I noted a few of us here struggle with weight I'd start a thread on it to see if we can help each other, now I know diet is a swear word & it's all basically about input & output, but having being a fattie most my life I know this is easier said than done, so let's here from you, let's do a weekly weigh in & let's hear from those who have successfully list weight & kept it off more importantly.

Oh, & let's keep it on topic please!

I'll begin.

I'm Jim & I'm fat. I'm 5,9" & I'm 18 stone, I have recently joined a gym & I now have a program to use & plan to go every other day. Not at the weekends though. I'll admit I'm a fast food junkie, pizzas mc dees, kebabs, beer, curry. That's a normal evening...

Joking!

Yea, I'm pretty out of shape, but my PT thinks as I'm so active at work it'll be easily repairable if I get hold of my eating habits. I'm currently using exante shakes to help me shift enough to stop me being emabarresed at the gym, I'm too heavy to run so I need a loss before I can hit it hard, it's a vlcd program so it requires lots & lots of water. So there you are.

Jim. 18 stone 0 lbs.

• Like 1

I'm up for it to! Been on and off a diet the last few weeks.When it's going good it's great but it's so easy to slip.

Cut out all my junk although i do have the odd pack of crisps or chocolate now and again.Not touched pizza,burgers and all that carp either.

Also tried these lipo burn pills (about

You can count me in as well. I've let myself get out of shape and now I'm somewhere north of 16st. At about 5' 9" that's a bit much. I've got a severely disabled son so I need to get myself fit and keep it that way so that I can look after him better as he get older. He's nearly 5 now so still small enough for me to lift and carry easily but my wife is struggling.

My job is pretty sedentary. I work in IT so most of the time I just sit behind a computer. I used to ride to work but stopped that as it was a 30 mile round trip and travelling between sites at lunch time. Now my job has changed and I'm only at one site and it's a bit closer to home so I want to start riding again. In the mean time I've started using the gym. The lad I work with used to go a lot and he's taking me as if I go on my own I've got no idea what I'm doing there. So he's helping me out with workout routines, etc. My job will be changing again in the summer, I'm hoping by then I know what I'm doing at the gym and can keep it up. I've got free use of the gym at work and all the council gyms so got no excuse not to.

My main problem is diet. I eat far too much crap so I've been trying to cut out the sweets and coke. So far I've cut down but not cut it out. I heard somewhere you can't out train a bad diet so I know I need to sort that out before I really see some results.

As a target I will be doing the Total Warrior again this year. Last year I walked the course and struggled with the obstacles. I got round and didn't skip anything but it was tough. I want it to be easier this year and I want to run it. This is me, stuck in the mud:

resizecompare0_zpsf09c5bfe.jpg

Well done guys, I can understand it isn't easy. 

I'm on the complete other end of the spectrum from most people.

My diet involves trying to intake around 3500-4000 calories a day, protein shakes and weight training, recently I've not been feeling great, so I haven't worked out.

I'm 5,9" and last time I weighed myself I was 8st 2lb which was an improvement on around 6 months ago where I barely got close to 8st.

I think I have an overactive thyroid, or my metabolism is too excited.

Either way, I'd share what I had if I could.

A good app I found for helping is 'my fitness pal' available on android and apple stores, its really handy I lost 3 stone over the last 18 months, you use it to log or scan everything you eat and it adds up the calories so just work out your daily intake it takes into account exercise and lifestyle as well.

Good to start a thread though guys as everyone can share tips and support and there progress.

• Like 1

Count me in too.

I'm 27 (today) and I am 5ft 11 and weigh a stonking 19st 4.

I left the army at 23 having just returned from Afghanistan with a load of money in the bank and a load of time off and most of that time and money was spent in KFC/Burger King/MCD's.....insert fastfood outlet name here.....

I Have always been quite muscular and broad even when I was running 8 minute mile and half PFT's and I don't think I look like 19st, I certainly regard myself as alot fitter than the average 19st person but sometimes I do feel the weight! 

I currently cycle into work every day and have done for a while and will continue to do so, when the nights are lighter I generally do about 15-25 miles a night on the way home from work which should help but my (skinny) missus has just joined slimming world so hopefully my diet will start to improve also.

Look forward to the updates people  :thumbsup:

Said this before and I will say it again:

DIETS DO NOT WORK

I have worked with children with serious overweight, many of whom tried dieting and fell foul of the diet/binge cycle. We used a set step program, and solution focused techniques to support these guys to beat overweight, and the results were fantastic to see.

Incorrect portion sizes is one of the main causes of overweight, as a rule of thumb, use your fist to gauge how big a portion you should be consuming. Most people discover they are having perhaps two or three times the portion size required...taking a spoonful out each time allows gradual reduction and less of a shock to the system.

Try using smaller plates as well, modern dinner plates are huge, so a smaller (normal) portion seems tiny...swap for a smaller plate and the brain is fooled into thinking all is normal. Taking the full 20minutes works well too....not that a bowl of cornflakes takes that long... Maybe a piece of fruit as well??

Skipping brekkie is a BIG no no....when we wake, our body is in starvation mode and expects food; by skipping brekkie, the starvation mode increases, therefore, the first thing eaten will be stored as fat, regardless, as the brain has no idea when food will be consumed again.

Having a health brekkie is better for you than not.

The biggie is energy in vs energy out. Get this right and overweight becomes less of an issue.

Overweight is not what we are, but something we have, ergo, can not have anymore.

Currently 15/16stone, which always concerns my GP, as I have CHD, ergo need to keep weight down, and also I take prescribed statins, which maintain a low cholesterol level...

I also love fried and fatty foods; moderation is key. Deny yourself what you enjoy, beating overweight becomes a chore, and people return to what feels comfortable ie eating crap,not exercising and staying the same as they are.

No one is perfect, we all have little 'slips'...if you do, don't be hard on yourself, just do some extra energy out to readdress the balance...

Please hit me up for more info/techniques if required lads, appreciate it is a long road, but if we can support each other, then the gains will be easier to achieve

I am Noj, and I hate moobs ;P

• Like 3

Having a go at this myself after noticing how porky I was on my wedding pics last year and decided to do something about it . I've since ditched the junk food pretty hard when your parents own a pizza/kebab shop so junk food is free lol. My diet now consits of cereal/veg/meat/rice/fish and fruit our lass is a good cook so its pretty easy. I use the gym around 3 times a week more cardio than weights and a bit swimming now and then seems to be working as I've gone from 16.4st to 14.5st I plan to lose about another stone before I go on holiday in June and stay around 13 1/2 as I'm six foot.

• Like 1

Achievement indeed Bill! Did you find it hard to ditch the junk food?? Our pre wedding shoot didn't cast me in a good light...my weight has quickly increased lately, took the photo to really make me notice....

Suggestions for increasing energy out:

If you have two toilets (up and downstairs) go up when you're down and vice versa (if appropriate, stairs and half asleep are a potential death trap)

Use stairs instead of lifts/escalators

Bus user? Get off a couple of stops early and walk the rest of the way

More you put these small lifestyle changes in place and they soon become second nature, gives you confidence to make larger steps that suit you.

If it encourages me then I'll add my name...

I'm Paul, and I'm fat. I'm 185cm (roughly 6'1"), and I weight about 105kg (roughly 16.5stone). My big problem is willpower. I can stay off chocolate, crisps, and biscuits for a few days but then I just cave and binge eat. Easiest solution to that would be to not have them in the house, but that would be unfair on my daughter. :(

Until late last year I got plenty of exercise. My weekly routine included badminton, swimming, 3 sessions of weights, and 1 or 2 sessions on an exercise bike (each session being about an hour long). That stopped for a while due to illness and injury unfortunately. Trying to get back to that at the moment, but the motivation isn't quite there. :( I also have a dog who like walks, so that helps. However, I've been following that routine for nearly 3 years with little to no results. My weight over the last year has only fluctuated between 109kg and 104kg, so I don't really know how to proceed to see actual results.

Stil, any little bit of encouragement helps, even if its in the form of a public 'shaming'. :)

• Like 1

Some great replys here guys! Wasn't sure how the thread would go down but yea, well done & thank you all for sharing!

I've had a mental few days at work & home so I don't think I'll be hitting the gym later, but I've more than made up for it at work, been fitting a flue pipe over 3 floors, up/down round & round I've been non stop all day!

Yesterday I fitted a door after work & man that made me sweat!

So I'm looking at a good loss this week, I've been drinking 3 liters plus per day of water too, nice flush out alwsys helps.

Achievement indeed Bill! Did you find it hard to ditch the junk food?? Our pre wedding shoot didn't cast me in a good light...my weight has quickly increased lately, took the photo to really make me notice....

Suggestions for increasing energy out:

If you have two toilets (up and downstairs) go up when you're down and vice versa (if appropriate, stairs and half asleep are a potential death trap)

Use stairs instead of lifts/escalators

Bus user? Get off a couple of stops early and walk the rest of the way

More you put these small lifestyle changes in place and they soon become second nature, gives you confidence to make larger steps that suit you.

Cheers noj ! But no ditching the junk was pretty easy I just take a bit bait to work with me now instead of picking and taking pizzas and stuff home at night (I work at the shop doin deliveries) crap job but I get a free vrs to use for work and bashing as a second car lol .. And yeah the wedding pics defo show ya 'figure' haha also

On another note I've just joined a new gym today as my six month contract was over and the bloke who ran the one I was in in was a tit ...turned out to be a good move 21 quid a month well stocked gym,sauna,steam room,squash,swimming and loads of classes well pleased :)

A weekend of pure excess....my stag do, was always going to happen lol. Having a proper roast dinner with fresh veggies last night was absolutely delightful!

Going to have to get some serious energy out this week to redress the balance...being fitted for my wedding garb this evening, which will be an immediate indicator of the state of affairs with the waistline.....eeek!

I had a bad week last week, didn't eat very well at all (still quite abit better than before though) and didn't cycle to work once but upon weighing myself this morning I was surprised to see that I lost 3 lbs!! (this now takes my loss to 1 stone as I started my diet a little before the thread started)

That is all to do with cutting down portions and just eating healthy in general...I plan on getting back on the bike this week as long as the chest infection clears up so the loss should continue.

I am also toying with the idea of joining a gym again and trying to get back into that routine again, I do enjoy weight training but it would be solely CV that I need to do.

Guys download the myfitnesspal app on your smartphones.It's brill -  You enter in all you details once,and then on a daily basis enter everything you've eaten and it predicts how much weight you can loose within a certain amount of time,but also tells you your maximum calorie intake!

Started it yesterday,according to this i can loose a stone in a bout 5 weeks if i carry on the way i have been with the stuff i've been eating.To be honest my food intact has improved greatly,replaced all junk with fruit,oats,soup and whatever other good stuff i can get my hands on :lol: but the app does give you a sense of comfort and keeps your intake in line :good:

2nd session in the gym after work tonight and I died. Seriously, died. Got better though, not fully recovered yet. About half an hour after I got home my body went into shock and my temp dropped to 34.2 deg c and I went really pale, was in a cold sweat and really shakey. Crashed out in bed for a couple of hours before I could muster the strength to go and finish my tea.

Lesson learned, I'm not 18 anymore.

I have had to change my diet due to high cholesterol and very close to having hypertension. I have been over weight for a number of years, I blame it on having a desk job and boredom.

But all change I start my new job, March 21, back out on the road and wonderful shifts again. So three weeks ago I totally change my diet, no more saturated fats, it is great I have lost nearly stone and feel some much better. Although at the weekends I might let my guard down for a few biscuits.

I did exactly the same at the gym, I joined up, got a PT worked so hard on my first session I had to sit down! Went all light headed & nearly keeled over, very embarrassing, so I know how you feel!

Done my back in this weekend decorating so the gym is out of bounds ATM

I did exactly the same at the gym, I joined up, got a PT worked so hard on my first session I had to sit down! Went all light headed & nearly keeled over, very embarrassing, so I know how you feel!

Done my back in this weekend decorating so the gym is out of bounds ATM

Ah, so that's why you were so keen on decorating!!