• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

my hyper 7 budget build

sean.b

Got a joblot of spares and turns out there was almost a roller there and being as I've wanted to build one for a while thought why not torn as to if I should go brushless or keep it nitro but being as I've got a 2 stroke and a nitro at the moment I'm swaying towards the brushless apart from the fact I don't want to use lipos

anyway heres where I'm at after a couple of small purchases

The box of spares

20140208_183945_zpsf55aebfe.jpg

Trail fitting to see what I had and what I needed

20140208_210519_zps0c3440f9.jpg

20140208_213954_zpsc06f799a.jpg

Wheels on just missing one steering knuckle and a couple of small bits

20140209_162220_zps283c798c.jpg

Being as the other chassis seemed straighter after inspection decided to carbon wrap it to hide the marks to the underside

20140209_162530_zps0e79c3e9.jpg

Have now got the last of the bits to get it on all 4s along with servo tray and top plate for diff carrier so started to assemble

Still need to oil diffs etc but will do that when I decide on what route to go

Heres whats been done today

http://i1342.photobucket.com/albums/o780/seanbrand87/20140212_122356_zps9564ef9a.jpg%5B

20140212_122356_zps9564ef9a.jpg

20140212_122416_zpsb25309f0.jpg

ends of the wing have also been wrapped

currently only upgrades are

cvds up front

cnc wheel nuts

carbon shock towers(to be fitted), diff plate and plate on top of servo saver

Edited by sean.b

This makes me want to attempt a budget hyper ST build

Hyper 7 spares are never in short supply and are pretty cheap, so building a budget hyper ST/7 hybrid is pretty doable :D

I'll be watching this :)

Go the brushless route. Contrary to my sig that's what I'm doing. Got a similar hybrid build going on, same as yours, mainly from parts bin. I say going on, it's been 3yrs now  :whistling:  Only real cost is motor/esc combo and batts but that's not much more than a decent engine and few litres of fuel.

Lipo's aren't as bad as they initially sound. I was reluctant but since starting flying planes, you realise, for the most part it's very similar to any other batteries. They do need a bit more care, like not charging to full if not being used and storing at correct voltage but other than, they're pussycats. I've damaged two quite badly, unfortunately neither went bang or flamed out. The one currently in the bucket of saline is only like that because it decided it no longer wanted to be a 3 cell so had to go. The rest live on the kitchen side, sometimes in a lipo bag, more often not.

Like the idea of the carbon wrap on the chassis looks a tidy job was it hard? Where abouts did you get it from and does it wear well/last long?

As said lipos are not as bad as people think there's plenty of info on here on how to treat them and how not to, as long as your sensible you would be extremely unlucky to have problems.My first car was lipo and I've never used anything else,just read the general rules and so far so good.

Sure your fellow leccy bashers will vouch for lipo if there using them.

There does seem to be a conversion kit shortage at the moment, I put a wanted ad up and got lucky so that's always an option mate.

I've noticed there doesn't seem many about but being as I have the other 2 to use I'm in no rush.if I have to wait a while for a cheap on I will lol would like to get it finished for as cheap as possible

As for the carbon wrap a guy I go bashing with done his a year ago and its still going well just bought it from ebay for a couple of pound it went on easy only thing I messed up with is when fitting things I just pierced it and pushed the screw or bolt through and when tightening the wrap under the screw etc started to twist but the rest is fine.

Edited by sean.b

I wonder, if you were to cut out all of the used screw holes after wrapping the chassis, then screwing all the bits back in aftwards, whether that would stop any of the wrap from twisting?

Time to purchase a sharp pointy craft knife thingy :D

I've noticed there doesn't seem many about but being as I have the other 2 to use I'm in no rush.if I have to wait a while for a cheap on I will lol would like to get it finished for as cheap as possible

Just so you know I got an email from modelsport today saying they got more stock of the conversion kits in thought if tell you in case they don't last long.

Cheers mate but this has been put on hold apart from the parts on the way already.engine went pop in the car on the way to work this morning so need to put money together to replace it :( I'm gutted as this would of been finished within the next 2 weeks otherwise

Edited by sean.b

Servo saver and tray in and a temp servo fitted.will pull it back out monday when I can get over my in-laws body shop to shorten the tray and make it neat

20140214_152133_zps966678a3.jpg

Shame I need every penny to replace my car for work or I would order the motor mount now.