• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Andys Wraith Log Thread [##PICTURE HEAVY##]

Andyking

Starting as a bog standard PS wraith, lets see where this goes!

Here's a taster of what's to come

k5mp.jpg

TH3Rqeg.jpg?1?3390

WbYhpyc.jpg?1

uXNs0nO.jpg?1

fEfiIwG.jpg?1

And finally my big pile of parts ready to be added

G4dW1M5.jpg?1

There is still more parts on the way as soon as customs get there grubby little mitts of my stuff!

Edited by Andyking
  • Like 1

Well this morning was wheel day. Got my Baja Claws mounted on my RC4WD Stamped wheels. These things are sick! Well happy with them. I have more wheels and tyres coming but I'll update once I get them

I changed from pin drives to hex drives so I swapped the mounts on the wheels

kdpv.jpg

Here is the standard tyres and stock foams that come with them

8i2p.jpgwrcq.jpg

Stock wheels

tbba.jpg

I weighted the front two wheels with a full ring of weight with 90g in on each side

j5sy.jpg

The wheels were a pain in the rear end to get going so I used to long bolts to get a grip and get them going

16ol.jpg

Full set mounted up

zzdi.jpg

So this afternoon I installed my vanquish c-hubs, knuckles and lockouts. What can i say? The machining on these products is absolutely sublime! My photos don't do them and justice at all, simply magnificent. They have a superb fit that just slotted straight in with no movement at all, completely tight fit.

Here's what I installed

cbmw.jpg

9j40.jpg

3ivk.jpg

zun6.jpg

So when I ordered my parts from across the pond i ordered some Fast Eddy bearings as they are very highly regarded so this was as good a time as ever to install them.

e8ia.jpg

and finally a couple of shots installed

dd0j.jpg

e03a.jpg

9uie.jpg

5w5k.jpg

Edited by Andyking
  • Like 1

Gotta love VP parts, wish I could have afforded them when I built mine, but I cheaped out on the chubs etc and put the money I saved towards beefing up the tranny with MIPs and RRP gearing :)

I've got the MIP shafts but cheaped out and went hotracing centre gearing. Also got the axial universals as I just couldn't justify the $99 for the Vanquish, as good as they are.

Every bloody time! Cheers for that rawalker

tyres stand too big fella.....

cant understand your thinking on the vanquish parts though fella, yes the might look nice but they do the same job as others costing 1/2 of that, sometimes less.

the only necessary product from vp is the exo motor mount thats it!  :yes:

also you did good going for axial univerals, there much longer lasting than the vanquish anyway.

otherwise, im enjoying this,

oh and your c-hubs are on upside down  :tease:  (i know i`m late)

tyres stand too big fella.....

cant understand your thinking on the vanquish parts though fella, yes the might look nice but they do the same job as others costing 1/2 of that, sometimes less.

the only necessary product from vp is the exo motor mount thats it!  :yes:

also you did good going for axial univerals, there much longer lasting than the vanquish anyway.

otherwise, im enjoying this,

oh and your c-hubs are on upside down  :tease:  (i know i`m late)

Already got the c-hubs swapped around.

Rookie mistake!

Still got some wheels, tyres, more electronics to come. Stupid postman taking an age!

Last update for today

Got the c-hubs flipped the correct way now and at the same time installed the Axial Universals. I snapped a quick picture to show the gains in turning angles.

First stock

4obe.jpg

Now with universals

8d1t.jpg

Tomorrow I should be able to get my shocks fitted and the ESC and motor wired up.

Edited by Andyking
  • Like 1

Another small update for today

Got my new servo. Haven't had time to properly test it under full power put it seems pretty good.

xayc.jpg

Im going to be using the axial servo horn as I like the colour of it. and its built very solidly. Took a while to get onto the servo but its solid as a rock now I tightened it up.

kxh8.jpg

hd68.jpg

Also took the opportunity to install my vanquish drag link and steering link. What more do i need to say? the usual vanquish precision and quality.

hd68.jpg

Finally some shots of my steering set up.

Note this is full steering angle. Crazy angles!

w69u.jpg

j32i.jpg

Edited by Andyking

No more updates today. Got my new wheels. Axial 8 hole, this might give you an idea of the tyres are to come tomorrow.

Electrics should be here by friday so ill be able to tear the heart apart and get my new steel gears fitted and new shafts.

Anyway, just a little picture of the 8holes to wet your appetite.

kpdp.jpg

Nice to see more people are using quality.

Vanquish is all I use dude  :thumbsup:

Looking very nice so far, Will be watching this.

Just sold my year old chubs and knuckles and got rrp back on them, Can't fault that.

Loving this mate, keep it up!

Nice to see more people are using quality.

Vanquish is all I use dude  :thumbsup:

Looking very nice so far, Will be watching this.

Just sold my year old chubs and knuckles and got rrp back on them, Can't fault that.

Loving this mate, keep it up!

There is a lot more to come so keep an eye out!

On another note. NEW TYRES  :xd:

Here they are in all there glory. PitBull Rock Beast II with CrawlerInnovations Double Deuce foams

k1zg.jpg8w97.jpg

These things are SUPER wide. 

The car is almost ready for electronics just waiting for the plastidip to dry before I assemble everything.

Edited by Andyking

As of now she is finished.

I skipped the shock mounting and the changing of the gears/electrics but if any one wants the pictures of those I'll happily upload them.

Anyway, here's some poser shots. I'll get some outdoor shots next week.

Tested the PitBulls in the garden and they have insane grip!

ybvd.jpg

k2uv.jpg

Took the wraith out for a little run today and she performed amazingly. The PitBulls are incredible at finding grip where the Baja Claws straggled. They have certainly made a very big impression on me.

Conditions where very muddy but I was surprised at the amount of grip the PitBulls find in every situation. 

The truck climbs incredibly well, even with the non weighted pits. I did get a low quality video of the wraith with the Baja Claws just for a bench mark but the driving skills are nothing to write home about because I was single handed steering/throttle.

I'll hopefully be able to get out and try them on some dry trails in the next week weather permitting depending on how the Baja Claws perform I may have a full set for sale because they really did struggle today.

• 2 weeks later...

So the thread has slowed down for the time being, mostly due to the fact I'm in the stage of running the car and finding out what needs tweeked/upgraded. 

I got my light bar put together, debating if I actually want lights because they'll never get used. Got my brother to paint the lettering.

4ieo.jpg

I've also been playing with different methods of cleaning my wheels

As can be seen from the following I used 4 different methods for cleaning my wheels.

wb3n.jpg

left to right the methods where

1. Soaking in water over night then blasting with hose pipe

2. Straight hose pipe blasting

3. Dunking in water straight after the trail (still wet mud from use)

4. Un-mounting the tyre and removing the foam and very thoroughly getting the most of the mud off. Still sticky to touch.