• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Maverick Scaler Scout!

When buying the scout i Set out to change it into a scaler as i  couldn't find one cheap enough!

so after buying this scout a couple weeks back, i finally started modding my Scout.

i will be posting some pictures of what i done in a days work as i went along. please give me some tips and share some pictures with me!

Edited by XxSWAINY96xX

cheers mate, im just using my imagination on what to do im only 17 lol, im just going along with it and taking the challenges on as they come. just thaught if people are gonna do this styles chassis it should be done right, looks so much better

what are you mounting shocks to ? 

you may want to look at using the shock mounting points on the old scout chassis.

cutting these off and dilling a couple mount holes will give you shock mount stand offs.

BODY, i would sit a body shell over so you can get a rough idea of how the wheels and axles sit when

mounted , nothing worse setting everything up then when it comes to a nice shell its dont line up with the wheel arches.

in the emages above you have the battery sitting in some sort of chassis plate tray,

you may want to cut this in half and use it to strangthen /add laddering between the front and rear side ladders.

will help beef the chassis length wise and help stop the plates twisting.

there is also another way to mod the original chassis plates to a ladder style using alloy L formed ribs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kE_WRdXzQZU#t=0 

good build keep going

Edited by Tamiyacowboy

thank you guys! :) i will be posting some more pictures tomorrow as i havent had much time i have started making mock up mountsfor the shocks which is all going well and i have put 2 braces in the chassis to keep everything straight! everything is looking and coming along great!

the only issue i see is that when using flat bar it can tend to bend more whereas using "u" channel it tends to stiffen it up more.

some decent chassis braces in there and you should get away without too much flex.

here you go buddy a picture here shows a half decent way to mount shock frames. 

notice the adjustment is in shock hight , not dangle angle.

t-rail%2008b.jpg

to adjust dangle angle they have added shock mount holes along the rail side. 

there is another way to gain more travel. you could add an L bracket to the top of the shock mount.

then fix your shock to this. now on the other end of the L bracket ontop of the shock mount you place a second shock.

once the first shock is compressed, the second starts to compress giving more axle swing and degrees.

this same design comes on the Tamiya TLT ( little crawler) it also uses a system like i mention but has a single long bore shock

and a solid shock rod link connection, where i removed the solid link bar and have replaced with a secondary shock.

thin out those shock tower mounts to a mire Spire shape like above image tower unit.

hope this helps and the picture gives you some cool ideas for your chassis design and layout