• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

VRC clone side pipe?

Trip...

This is the pipe I'm talking about.

http://www.rovanrc.com/Performance_Side_Mount_Tuned_Exhaust_Pipe_p/rv95180.htm

I know you guys have other sources for it, but I'd like to know about the performance, sound, appearance, ect...

I read a little bit about it on here, but I'd like to talk to the guys that have ran it. How does it compare to the actual VRC pipe? Is it thin and weak (flimsy)?

Thanks guys,

Trip..

Lakie runs one as well.

Gives good power and noise wise...it's about as loud as the clone Dom pipe I run, but has a different exhaust note. Bit higher pitched.

Less bottom end than the Dom, but what it loses low down it gives back through the mid/upper rev ranges.

Here's a vid from our bash last weekend...

Lakie's is the Baja at the start with the sidepipe. Just before the end you get my yellow home-brew cage with a clone Dom just before another burst of the clone sidepipe. Should give you an idea of the tone

For speed....I'd go for the side pipe. It seems to hold on for longer when the Dom's power has tailed off. This would give you a bit more flexibility in gearing as well as what engine you mate it to.

I'm running a lightly ported 29 ... Lakie's running an OBR motor.

I'm also thinking of swapping to a sidepipe......as I reckon the Dom's low down kick is givng wheelspin not grip, and then running out of puff where the sidepipe is letting the motor rev out more...which I think mine would like

For speed....I'd go for the side pipe. It seems to hold on for longer when the Dom's power has tailed off. This would give you a bit more flexibility in gearing as well as what engine you mate it to.

I'm running a lightly ported 29 ... Lakie's running an OBR motor.

I'm also thinking of swapping to a sidepipe......as I reckon the Dom's low down kick is givng wheelspin not grip, and then running out of puff where the sidepipe is letting the motor rev out more...which I think mine would like

Well I've started running on a flat field with another Baja, rather than short blasts between jumps on gravel, so I'm thinking of putting a 29cc head kit on my KM engine, and a clone side pipe and maybe about 18/56 or even 19/55 gearing.

Here's something a bit interesting for the Dom guys. 

272longrodtesting.jpg

According to Dan at OBR (I just got off the phone with him) he said the VRC clone is very, very close to the VRC pipe. ...Not the Pro pipe, the VRC side pipe. I figured he'd be the man to talk to since he's the one that built my motor.

So now I have a clone of the CPI Tuned pipe and I just bought the Rovan VRC clone... We'll see I guess eh?

Nice power curves.... and kind of backs up my gut feel about the revs.

Obviously...the OBR full mod will react differently to a stock motor, but the relative curvestell the tale. A stock motor would respond well to a Dom compared to a stock can or ...say...an SS pipe. Soon as you tweak the motor and push the power up the rev range a bit more, the Dom stops working for you and starts working againt you, as it is limiting the motors ability to rev. Hits a brick wall a clear 1000rpm  earlier.

The VRC side pipe is letting the motor spin higher, and if your motor is making it's power up there...,.you have to have a pipe that lets you go there.

What I like about that power curve though, is not the peak....it's the the spread of power. It's making power lower down the rev range and matching the Dom's power earlier in the rev range....then holding on with the same gradient on past the Dom. That actually makes it a very flexible pipe.

Guess I had better start saving the pennies

• Like 1

Nice power curves.... and kind of backs up my gut feel about the revs.

Obviously...the OBR full mod will react differently to a stock motor, but the relative curvestell the tale. A stock motor would respond well to a Dom compared to a stock can or ...say...an SS pipe. Soon as you tweak the motor and push the power up the rev range a bit more, the Dom stops working for you and starts working againt you, as it is limiting the motors ability to rev. Hits a brick wall a clear 1000rpm  earlier.

The VRC side pipe is letting the motor spin higher, and if your motor is making it's power up there...,.you have to have a pipe that lets you go there.

What I like about that power curve though, is not the peak....it's the the spread of power. It's making power lower down the rev range and matching the Dom's power earlier in the rev range....then holding on with the same gradient on past the Dom. That actually makes it a very flexible pipe.

Guess I had better start saving the pennies

I couldn't agree with you more!

Edited by Trip...

You can do whatever you want, but the 30.5cc prostock from OBR is about 200 quid. (free shipping) That will come with the OBR/Turtle racing cnc case. http://oneillbrothers.co.uk/product.php?id_product=36 5.5hp This is the obr uk site.

Here's the case that will come with it. http://www.oneillbrothers.com/rc-car/engine-parts/bottom-end/tr-obr-4-bolt-billet-piston-port-crankcase.html

"To help kick off the new TR/OBR billet crankcase we will be upgrading every piston port engine or long block to a billet case for the rest of the month at no charge. Starts now Saturday the 8th through the end of the month. No codes or anything special you need to do while ordering. This includes engines on sale, not on sale, prostock's and full mod's."

972187_571498349562106_1538842321_n.jpg

After tearing my stock 30 apart, I see the "Machining" they did to this... Looks like they used a hatchet on the gasket surfaces. I wouldn't spend big money on a ported headkit and stab it onto my stocker.. It would be a waste of a good head.

The crank bearings are loose in the KM case, so the crank flops around. I can grab the crank snout and move the crank up and down about .5mm! Crankcase volume is massive too and that's not a good thing!

If you're looking for a cheaper alternative, try a Zen g270 or a CY f270. Both are great motors and will outrun the KM stock motors. From what I hear the CyF270 will rev it's nuts off! Excellent for car park and fields. I have no experience with this motor so I cannot confim or disconfirm this though.

Good luck!

Yup I run the 30.5 OBR ProStock with the billet crank case & Sonic from OBR UK did me a great deal last year.

I ran it with the clone Dom for a while but it was just too much bottom end & flat at the top.

The clone side pipe dropped off the bottom end slightly & made it sing at the mid / top.

I run 19/55 gearing with ease, it really chips on an open area & still has plenty of poke around the woods etc.

I bought mine from Ali-Express for

Trip, its been a while.

I presume you're the same 'Trip' who used to frequent LSF a few years ago?

Tell us more about that Clod - the photo looks interesting. Monster truck section I think.

Al.

Yup I run the 30.5 OBR ProStock with the billet crank case & Sonic from OBR UK did me a great deal last year.

I ran it with the clone Dom for a while but it was just too much bottom end & flat at the top.

The clone side pipe dropped off the bottom end slightly & made it sing at the mid / top.

I run 19/55 gearing with ease, it really chips on an open area & still has plenty of poke around the woods etc.

I bought mine from Ali-Express for

Contact Sonic2810 on here .... he's the man running OBR UK.

http://oneillbrothers.co.uk/

Same gear, cheaper postage and no customs hassle :)

The link I posted was to obr uk. I wouldn't send you guys to a US site unless it's just to show you something. :)

Trip, its been a while.

I presume you're the same 'Trip' who used to frequent LSF a few years ago?

Tell us more about that Clod - the photo looks interesting. Monster truck section I think.

Al.

Yup it's me... I can't talk about clones in the US so I came over here with you fine folks. Now you have to read my drivel.

Not much to tell. 2013 re-released superclod with an old Chevy grill and tailgate with repro decals that I bought from someone in the UK off ebay. Chassis is an ESP Clodzilla3. E-Maxx shocks and an EVX-2 with lipo cutoff. I have about $700 into it and I can't even run it because of the stupid speed control doesn't want to work half the time.

In this pic it still has the pogo sticks from the kit.

post-33258-0-41635600-1389796586_thumb.j