• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

James' Slash 4x4

J.K

So after spending most of my time in RC with nitro, I decided it was time to stick a toe into the dark side and buy myself a leccy basher! I've never really liked the look of the traxxas cars, the chassis' just look so plasticky, I like the gun metal and carbon on my nitro's!

After reading numerous threads about it and receiving a few recommendations, I decided to give the Slash 4x4 a go :)

image_zps5587af6f.jpg

I decided on the normal 4x4 (ie not the ultimate/platinum) firstly due to the cost difference and also because I like to upgrade bits as they break along the way as opposed to buying a fully sorted machine. The Greg Adler edition shell wasn't my first preference, but they were running out of stock everywhere and i'm too impatient to wait until the new year!

image_zps716a10ea.jpg

image_zpsb341f242.jpg

image_zps3d7bee55.jpg

The first thing I did once out the box was replace the traxxas rx with my flysky one which was nice and straightforward. After reading around a lot, it's recommended to get the anodised bearing adaptor, which replaces the plastic sleeve that the spur gear bearing sits on with an anodised blue one. It's believed that the plastic one can beat and melt.

image_zpsa8663710.jpg

image_zps68b1cc01.jpg

I then installed the battery tray extender which allows you to use 3S lipos or greater. A 3S does seem to fit in the stock tray, but the clasp seems to put a LOT of pressure on top of the lipo, Jensen the extender.

I was also advised against running 3S without an ESC fan, however the traxxas one is the only one which fits and the velineon ESC and they want

Bin the stock electrics, fit an eighth scale set up (something around 2650kv), mod 1 gears from the revo, with the revo spec slipper, some proline badlands (or 17mm hex adapters and nanda blocks), dry wall tape and shoo goo the underside of the shell alla round the rear end and back arches, and rpm bits to the rest as/when you break them  :thumbsup:

Thanks Noj, I'm going to run the stock electrics until they go up in smoke, I like the fact that they're waterproof especially going into winter! I'll get myself some of the Revo parts once I've gotten used to it in stock form, there's a big difference in the way leccys put the power down compared to nitro!

Just given it its first run. I love it! The motor ran a little hot on 3S and stock gearing at 100c so may drop a couple of teeth on the pinion.

I've got some nanda blocks sitting around from the buggy so I may look at the 17mm hex conversion, although the stock tyres didn't seem too bad on damp grass surprisingly.

image_zpsa2254512.jpg

Just bought an outerwears shroud as its going to be a nightmare cleaning this up after each pack! :xd:

image_zps55ab83cc.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Right chaps, a little help needed! So I've got myself a 1:8 combo comprising of the WP-SC8 ESC and 2400kv motor which has a 5mm shaft so I'm looking at the mod1 gearing.

I'll prob go with the 40t spur but not sure what pinion to start off with. I'm running 3s, would an 18t RW be a good place to start?

Yup, though I reckon you could go higher as the kv has dropped from 3500 to 2400.

Thanks chap, I may start with a 20t and go from there!

How's the scorpion??

0.5 x 26400 = 13200 at the shaft.

0.25 x 38500 = 9625 at the shaft.

So if I'm anywhere near the ball park, preferably in it, then it'll definitely be faster on your chosen gearing.

As I say, I'm not an expert at this.

Thanks chap, I think you're right! It makes sense anyway. I'll prob order an 18t and a 20t so I can experiment a little.

I'm loving the slash, but I've only had about 5 or 6 packs through it in the 2 months I've had it! I'm making the most of the crap weather and doing a bit of work on it so I've got a solid basher in time for spring!

Thanks chap, I think you're right! It makes sense anyway. I'll prob order an 18t and a 20t so I can experiment a little.

I'm loving the slash, but I've only had about 5 or 6 packs through it in the 2 months I've had it! I'm making the most of the crap weather and doing a bit of work on it so I've got a solid basher in time for spring!

Yeah, I'm trying to do the same with the Scorpion, not much out there in the way of hop-ups. T-Bones are on their way, but they're all I could find. I'll take that as a good sign. Kyosho do CVDs for it, but I'll wait and see how the drivetrain holds up.

The Slash is a proper laugh. Craig and I used to have top laughs with ours, would've been superb to have had yours there to make it three of them on the fly!

20T will be fine James, and very rapid....which is where the front end lift can take over before top speeds are reached...downwind always helps! The new proline truck shell would cure that.....should you fancy spending more money  :whistling:

Cheers guys, 20T it shall be! All the parts are coming together now :)

I do like the new shells Noj, the flotek ones look great! I'm gona wait until I've destroyed the stock one first tho :good:

I've been busy today, I stripped the Slash down to a bare chassis and dyed it black! This exercise made me realise just how easy this thing is to work on, love the modular construction! I didn't think the dye would be overly effective but I'm very happy with the result! :good:

image_zpsc97eaab0.jpg

Edited by James1986
  • Like 1

Looks good.

Ive recently just got mine working, SC8 with a 4600kv tenshock motor in it, it fair goes on 3s :lol:

Also those covers are a saviour, means you can just hose down the drivetrain parts and away you go again :thumbsup:

My SC8 turned up today as it goes! The red card which the postie put through my door last week turned out to be some champagne glasses! :sly:

The motor is somewhere over the Indian Ocean and the gearing from MS will prob be here either tomorrow or Thursday :thumbsup:

Can't wait to get everything together!

UPDATE!!

The combo is in!! :lol: Hobbywing WP SC8 ESC & Tenshock X802 v2 2400kv. It's a tight fit, but its in!

image_zps46b6b20a.jpg

I also installed the Revo mod1 gearing and RW racing hardened pinion. I gave her her maiden run this afternoon and she's an absolute animal!!! On dry Tarmac, at the back of B&Q's car park so it was a little dusty. A bit of initial feedback:

I'm learning A LOT about this parachute effect everyone talks about.

I had to turn the punch down quite a bit as it was almost impossible not to backflip it!

Rear shocks are far too soft, she's dragging her ass along the ground when on the gas - perhaps heavier oil and/or stiffer springs may even reduce the nose-up and delay the parachute?

Stock rubber is surprisingly decent on Tarmac, going to get some Badlands for off road!

Motor temp was a little high on the 20T pinny, about 85-90C towards the end of the pack so may try an 18T.

LVC is crap! :xd:

Edited by James1986

Nowt you can do about parachuting, a few holes drilled in strategic places in the shell helps a little....something all sc shells cause...my beast does it at top speed, which is quite hilarious!

Iv had my slash for 2 weeks got same shell as you but first thing i did was removed all the stickers wasnt a massive fan bit like your self couldnt wait for another one etc.iv had problems with the wheel bearings so far.iv only replaced rear hubs and front and rear arms to rpm ones.wanting to make it faster soon hopfully