• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

thunder revo from the beginning.

RCbutcher

found some old pictures of my revo 3.3 so thought ide share its history and keep it going since I doubt ill ever part with it and its nice to see how far its come and remember it in its various forms.

I got it around February 2012 in a trade for my old tv I thought it was amazing after only having a clone buggy and a Schumacher rascal this felt like the end of the line. But then I quickly found out it was the oldest model but I still loved it.

myrevopinkshell.jpg

Within afew weeks I burst the gearbox I think it was reverse that went it was never right. I would click the switch and nothing it was still in forward so I would click it back then anytime after that whilst half throttle it would spring into reverse and stay in reverse until I clicked the switch afew more times and held the truck off the ground. Opti drive more like norty drive.

I learned about the foc got hold of one and set to my first rc fix I was pretty nervous ide ruin it especially once I opened up the gearbox but managed to fit the foc and put it all back together. Proud moment lol. I then got a complex about having a pink truck but couldn't throw a nice shell away like that.

Proline crowd pleaser 2 I think painted by the lady who owned it before me she was a member here if you remember this truck let me know lol. I started to strip the paint off that shell and after half a day of soaking and scrubbing with nail varnish remover I began my first paint job, pretty scruffy but much better than pink.

I wish I could find better pics but found these on a website I used before photobucket and forgot about the other site I chanced upon these viewing another members thread.

7477452524_8a368ddfd7_zps0ad3ffe8.jpg

This is the 2.5r with black shell truly amazing rc just bang on it did wheelies was more fun to drive with its laryness but my 3.3 was my rc so in the end the 2.5r was stripped down I kept what I could use and job lot the rest. Mistake tbh.

The black 2.5r was and still is my rc best buy 95posted, and started me upgrading my 3.3 the 2.5r donated its pipe . Wheels and wheelie bar to the 3.3 back then I preferred to buy new rcs than upgrades but slowly started on upgrading.

7520023790_0212efee67_zpsaee016d9.jpg

By this point I thought it was the bees knees altho the 1st trx3.3 started giving me trouble and not running after a tank down to barly running a tank to finally snapping the con rod :( gutted then a member on here put a new 3.3 refurb from traxxas so I got that in. But never tried to run it in fearing ide only mess it up. Im still pretty bad at tuning anything over .18 size but now starting to hear the differences and see the changes so ill have it down soon. At this point ide also fitted a new resonator . Trx temp sensor ,bright shock sox, alloy brake kit and front alloy arms. The arms were a 5er off ebay so I couldnt refuse awhile later I found a set of blue alloy rear arms for around

Edited by RCbutcher

That's true it got me plenty of wolf whistles lol. Its probably 3x thicker than anyother shell ive had too it was crazy rigid.

Edited by RCbutcher

Here it is with the parts from the 2.5r some rear alloy arms another engine one already run in the maxx tires. Which made the truck bog down in medium grass and put me off big joes. I dashed the yellow socks for some blue ones which didnt highlight the dirt as much
Also finally got the rc bolt on I wanted before I even knew of the revo truck. Rc solutions roll cage which weighs in at 180grams about the same as my shell with shoo goo. Not bad I think the whole truck weighed 12lbs around this time.

REVO1.jpg

Somewhere around this time I replaced all the screws with ss, added alloy servo gaurds . Skid plate and 2x alloy tank plates plus upgraded the servos to the 2075s mayb the steering bar too if its blue.

20130125_015149-1.jpg

Fitted another brand new engine I think sold to a member here.

REVOTOP-1.jpg

Fitted yet another engine which came with the most difficulties out of any but I had to crack on with this one after giving up or not even trying on the 3 before because I blew the very first. The picco carb would stick open no matter what which I eventually sorted out with an integy double bearing throttle slider and flipping the carb handle and screwing a longer m3 screw in there which sorted that out.
Also fitted the badlands , carbon effect wing (pants) and some platnium boxes.

20130125_015046-1.jpg

20130612_020652_zpsbe27f635.jpg

Along with the platnium rx boxes I got the platnium shell too which pretty much spun my direction 180

Edited by RCbutcher

I run the latest motor saver air filter. Fits and looks good.

I bought your last TRX 3.3, I have now pirted , polished, fanged and notched the engine.

It runs well, came alive within a few small turns of the HSN. probably tweek the stinger next.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Have a look at my REVO CARBON build thread.....

• Like 2

Sounds good mate did you get a noticable boost in power from the engine mods. Whats planned for the stinger?

The pipe i have has a removable stinger but i havent played around with it yet. It does sound beefy with it out tho.

Ive just orderd the rest of the rrp gears so now need to get the grease and find out where to get the collet from. 

Im unsure wether to lose the roll cage or not too i like it alot and it makes the truck look ace but its usually off the chassis for maintence or whatever. 

I might get alloy rockers too from asiantees.

The one thing i do want i cant find thats the new era mount a usa guy made some gave a price but now wont ship over here. I told a guy on here he paid for one but was refunded and told he cant send it over. 

First ill get it to big block status then worry about the big block mount ready to get an lrp 28 in there. Not that the picco isnt enough its wild but its 28 sized revos hitting 70mph lol.

The engine runs well, it seems to be easier to tune and keep tuned. Fuel economy is good as well.

Got a slight leak at the header to block, i have tightened it up but not ran it as yet.

Going to bore out the stinger a bit to help with the breathing.

power wise; if you run it on the lean / hot side of tune, it really sits down at the back and goes poo.....

I have the yellow RPM arms and they seem fine, no noticeable flex at 'normal' use.

andy

• 2 weeks later...

Did you dye the rpms mate ive never seen yellow rpms before I wouldnt mind having them

suppose they will most likly flex as much as the teknos i have ready for the rears. The alloys do need to come off my hinge pins have bent afew times now its become a drag but couldv been worse for sure. I was told to expect cracked chassis or bulkheads lol so the odd slightly bent pin is ok but ive never propperley batterd my revo since i only have a boring feild the hardest time it has is half throttle up trees.

If youve got a good reliable tune from the 3.3 your winning man alot say it cant hold a tune for long i will definitely get something to try porting on I got a jato 2.5 here I paid 50 for its like new tho so not sure if i should on that.

Ive wanted to raise my wing for awhile after the cage forced the shell up. I got some m4 threaded rod. Some alloy tubing , penny washers and anodized nuts. It all came together pretty well except I had the dethread two m4 nuts and use them to take up the slack the wing holes left. Acting like the plastic bits on the wing mount the std screws go into. That made the wing wobble tho and not contact the bottom washer well so I put a countersunk washer on each side and that firmed it all up nicely. Its all reversable too nothing is permanent on this mod and it has made the scale look how I wanted it so im happy so far. Strengh feels good the actual wing has always felt flimsy mayb raising it will speed up its demise. Then ill buy a hpi baja wing tho alloy if poss carbon. Youll see a before pic up top of the wing sitting under the shell line didnt look right.

20131120_191355_zps6fda3810.jpg

I put an rpm rear bumper mount on too to act as a wheelie bar and a carry handle its really comfortable carrying it like that. Thanks to the metal mod mr terminator for posting that mod way back whem.

I did the rear chassis brace too using 3mm carbon from ebay and a p3 push rod. The screws are 35mm to make up the extra 3mm from the carbon. The pushrod on the pipe side had the ball removed and nitro fuel line added to take up the slack with an m4x12 screw in. Then just a normal m3 screw into m3 but on the shock side of the rod. I fitted the rc best long yellow springs too they look nice but im not sure about them yet ill post up once i figure out whats annoying me. 

20131120_191542_zpsaaaf2539.jpg

20131120_191601_zpsed1794bd.jpg

They was cheap mods but i like them alot cos i made them lol they feel more rewarding especially if they hold up.

Next job will be these but i think customs is holding 1st gear as i orderd 2nd a week after i did 1st i hope customs has it anyway.

Im going to need help on this tho as im not sure where to get or if ill need a silver collet thing shown with the full set. Im going to use graphie grease with them too.

20131120_191632_zps7732aa54.jpg

I just need a great deal on a vantage chassis and under armour next. Then the centre cvds. Long way off i think.

Edited by RCbutcher

The rpm arms and hubs were dyed with yellow rit dye.

Simmer for 30 minutes.

I watched your vid on the rear brace. I was impressed. I might have a go my self over the winter.

The NATO's are rocket ships. Seen a few vids on YouTube.

Are the rcbest springs for show only, or do they come with different ratings.

The metal gears look good. Should be an interesting build if you are missing a collet. Have you contacted RR to see if the collet is required?

Vantage chassis are the mutts......

Nato?

Yh the springs come with 3 sizes i put the longest set on but didnt put preload on im not sure but when i bolted them on im sure i heard a nasty nokk sound im hoping i havent bust a shock lol. It looks like it but hopfully it just needs preload i havent checked yet.

All the gears are here now and i didnt get taxed on the final 2 so the price isnt as bad as i expected i was thinking the last 2 would carry a

No I was wrong the collet spacer thing was included lol I just hadnt opened the gears and checked properly.  Its alot smaller than I expected. So I have everything needed to crack on then all but a decent thread to follow for setting it up.

I got a bunch of shims too so i think i definitely need a thread to follow I expected a youtube video but can't find one.  Theyll be one on their soon tho ;)

I used up all the fuel ready for winter and getting an electric. Plus a better camera I look a right .. trying to hold a pphone and beast the revo.

But ive looked into the key chain cam and the #16 #18 models are supposed to be the true camera costing

Have to make do with some old vids from aug time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZxSKaX5a9s

Youve probably all seen these tho when i uploaded them but thought ide put them here too. 

The carb wasnt set right so too much brakes stalled it but i wasnt botherd and didnt propper hammer it once it switched gear ide back off but it definitely goes well for being double standard weight.

Last time i weighed it on wii fit it was 13lbs. Should be heavier now tho but i have removed the alloy rear arms. I put teknos on but having trouble setting them up propperley theres so many ways and i dont know if it needs longer push rods or rockers to get the most from them. 

Edited by RCbutcher

I had me one out today. Gave the carb a bit more of a lsn tune.

Raise the push rods to the middle position for better clearance. Didn't notice any adverse effects on the steering.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Which chassis is it mate ide love a 2.5r chassis brushless converted one day. My lil black revo was seriously mental wheelies down hill and 180

I like the ultimate basher tank mod. Makes a big difference not stopping for a pit stop. I am easily getting 15 minutes, and i am running mostly flat out.

I have read about mid tank lean with the big tank, but i did not notice anything untoward, 

I am going to leave the slipper and drive shafts, If the give up then i will upgrade them.

I am considering a new shell, your old one still works, but it is 30% gaffer tape now.  To change the air flow, and keep the engine warm.

ANDY

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Ive messed this thread up putting pictures into different albums, ive tried to repost some pics.

Not much has happend with the revo this year ive fitted the bits i mentioned and steel transmission and made a start on fitting the new era mount, Which isnt happening the picco doesnt fit even if it did then the exhaust wont fit with the cage so i might have too go with a side pipe. I really like rear exit pipes tho so ill try to figure something out and last resort fit a shell that will enclose a side pipe. Ive seen one or two revos with side pipes in the shell slightly raised up. we'll have to see. any suggestions fire away.

Heres some recent pics as ive lost some from page 1

20140621_201534_zpsmwfrpwge.jpg

how the picco sits with era and cage very snug i hope the next engine will fit. the cb doesnt reach the gearbox and you can see the pipe fitment problems, not the best pic tho,

20140620_112328_zpsaojxammw.jpg

20140621_202444_zpsm3eqkmwx.jpg

the improvised wheelie bar mod by mr terminator a mod from here its one of the best simples mods ive done and works very well you can add a bumper to so the bumper takes the gravel rash and gives more surface area,

20140621_203355_zpsxvkzi3cl.jpg

Bit silly.

20140621_202904_zpsdfrf8koo.jpg

if this had a nice back ground itd be a sweet pic the revo is pushing 15lbs ish with these joes i hope the lrp 28 will be upto it.

20140621_203102_zpscxsp4vye.jpg

Ive not run it all year tho just been messing with other rcs mainly building a savage xs and the savage 25 im very bored of the flat feild accross the street and still none of my mates like rc theyll happily thrash one of mine but not buy one for themselves.

• Like 2