• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ninjagaiden

ninjagaiden

MSUK Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts
  • RC Cars:E-Baja, Vader XB, Alza Flux XL, DEX 408, ET48,GTP2e, Kershaw T-revo, R1, DEX410, TB04 Pro II, M8T, EMB-1, GT10DT

Posted 08 September 2013 - 08:58 PM

Guys,

I decided I wanted to go with a 1:8 sensored setup for my new 1:8 truggy. I ordered the Turnigy Trackstar 2100kv sensored motor. I thought that it's a shorter and fatter 4270 can, with 4 poles for better efficiency, and I would be happy to take a punt on it for £42. I figured I could get it up and running with an old sensorless HW150 I have lying about somewhere, and then move up to sensored mode when I choose a sensored ESC that's good for 6S.

Anyhow, I looked at the options for a 150A 6S sensored ESC on Hobbyking, and the high performance sensored version of the HK150 they have which can do 6S.

http://www.hobbyking...idproduct=10370

Turns out the ESC can't handle 4 pole motors in sensored mode. Without the sensor wire they are fine, but it says running sensored 4 pole motor will end up with bad things happening. They have another 150A 6S ESC which can run sensored motors, but it says nothing about the 4 pole restriction.

http://www.hobbyking...ss_Car_ESC.html

Both are out of stock

I never heard of an ESC that couldn't handle a specific motor pole configuration like this before. My other choices for ESC are the HW Xerun 150A sensored ESC

http://www.hobbywing...show.asp?id=238

or the very similar and slightly cheaper Skyrc Toro TS 150A.

http://www.skyrc.com...&product_id=178

Can anyone vouch for 4 pole sensored operation on any of these ESCs?

Thanks

N

#2 Juggernaut jims

Juggernaut jims

MSUK Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,930 posts
  • RC Cars:Original Blackfoot, mad "sand" rat, 3x tt01, 2wd slash, hubsan (angry bee) X4, schumacher mi1 hyper 7/virus mix

Posted 08 September 2013 - 11:22 PM

Could you not just pull the sensor wire when you run 6s?

#3 ninjagaiden

ninjagaiden

MSUK Regular

• Members
  • 1,177 posts
  • RC Cars:E-Baja, Vader XB, Alza Flux XL, DEX 408, ET48,GTP2e, Kershaw T-revo, R1, DEX410, TB04 Pro II, M8T, EMB-1, GT10DT

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:11 AM

I could do, but that kind of defeats the object. I wanted to see how smooth a 1:8 sensored setup can be.

I am figuring I will have to go with an HW XERUN 150A sensored ESC, as this is actually sold as a sensored combo with a 4 pole 4274 sensored motor.

#4 barnetbasher

barnetbasher

MSUK Addict

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,014 posts
  • RC Cars:kyosho twin force (the most unique monster truck on here)

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:21 AM

IMO....running sensored in a high voltage setup on 8th scale wouldnt really be worth it.....

it sounds like you are looking for scary fun speeds and mahyem (a man after my own heart !)

My truggy runs 5s unsensored and I've not noticed any issues with throttle response at lower speeds or braking...

I may be wrong but i thought sensored setups are for more sensitive RCs like race spec stuff or drifting...

#5 NuttyProfessor

NuttyProfessor

MSUK Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • RC Cars:XTM XT2e,Kyosho inferno VE,FTX Blaze 1/18, mardave V12, Tamiya TT01E and a Tamiya TL01

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:24 AM

I use the HK150 on a 4 pole sensorless and its fantastic, once you get above walking pace, its as smooth as double cream even on 6s :)

#6 Tug

Tug

MSUK Addict

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,282 posts
  • RC Cars:T4, e-revo, 2x e-maxx, BL Baja, HPI Super 5sc flux!

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:27 AM

I find my Xerun ESC very smooth at low speed, not quite as good as CC, but good all the same.

I'm waiting on delivery of an 1800 kv sensored motor, I'll be pairing this with the Xerun, I'll let you know how much smoother it is, if it is at all.

#7 oodboo

oodboo

Veteran Member

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,323 posts
  • RC Cars:Broken ones

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:42 AM

Don't the sensors only make a difference at low speeds? My truggy has two modes of operation, either flat out or broke. Ok broke technically isn't a mode of operation but I don't see a sensor making much difference.

#8 ninjagaiden

ninjagaiden

MSUK Regular

• Members
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:52 AM

Yep it's  only for the low speed stuff, amking the most of all that torque at low RPMs. Ideally I'd have a Tekin RX8 with its clever dual drive thingywhatsit that switches to sensorless operation at speed, but they aren't cheap are they!

#9 ninjagaiden

ninjagaiden

MSUK Regular

• Members
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 10:00 AM

Son of a gun. Just pulled the trigger on an unused RX8 for 90 quid off Ebay. there is a God!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users