• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

esc up in smoke

Cod head

What were you running it in, what was the gearing? Your original question is a bit how long is a piece of string.. Kinda vague..

Is this the esc that had a loose connection that you soldered up?. If so, chances are the damage was done back then with the loose bullet.

Not really that tall gearing then, was the esc repaired? Should be okay in a buggy with a 17t pinion, any esc can let go at the drop of a hat regardless of quality or price, couple of hard knocks can do the trick sometimes and poof.. Not that any of that helps you now of course, buy a new one and get back out with a temp gun to check your set up..

Although it's only a 17 tooth pinny, the spur sounds kinda small, ie quite a high gearing. Need buggy owners to throw some gearing options in to the pot.

Did you not do some test runs? Five minute bursts, then stop to test temps?

Sounds way over-geared, by a clear mile! I've run a 2650 in a Monster Truck with no issues! Just had to gear it accordingly!

gotta agree there bunt esc and puffed cooked lipo means massive amp draw which would suggest heavy over gearing and or inadequate lipos..

Yeah my hyper runs a 47/19t combo on a 2000kv can and 120a sc8..

No temp test just took it out as usual and gave it a bashing, no temp gun unfortunately, look like I'll have to invest in one aswell as a new esc

More money down the ****ter :(

you've gotta get a temp gun mate its essential really..

Standard spur size for virus buggy is 46t so you should have been ok with 17t I would have thought, maybe a little hot in the current weather but not out of the way..

If stock is 46 spur, and the 2650 requires conservative gearing, then I'd reckon we're definitely looking at an over-gearing issue, especially considering the weather temps at the mo.

IMO it was over geared as its puffed the lipos because they have got too hot. the lipo spec is ok max at 150amp with the 120amp esc but a higher c ratting would be better. 40 spur and 17 pinny on the 2650 motor does sound like rather tall gearing, not helped with very hot outside temperatures.