• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

first plane advice please

I am looking at buying a plane this week. i have had pritty much every other type of rc but its time to try a plane out. i have looked into it a bit and thing i have decided on a hobbyzone super cub. any advice or better options nothing is final yet so whats your opinions. thanks

dx4 not bad a dx5 would have been better, if you can save and grab a dx6 

as for model choice yep good on that front, remember its nothing like driving a car/truck.

wind is your unseen enemy

Tree's ARE model MAGNETS oh and so are buildings, no scrub that anything above ground becomes a magnet lol.

sometimes left is right and right is left, but if up become down and down becomes up ( you dizzy and confused yet ? ) 

its not a huge learning curve but easy on turns and gentle on throttle. 

• Like 2

dx4 not bad a dx5 would have been better, if you can save and grab a dx6 

as for model choice yep good on that front, remember its nothing like driving a car/truck.

wind is your unseen enemy

Tree's ARE model MAGNETS oh and so are buildings, no scrub that anything above ground becomes a magnet lol.

sometimes left is right and right is left, but if up become down and down becomes up ( you dizzy and confused yet ? ) 

its not a huge learning curve but easy on turns and gentle on throttle. 

Yeah...lol... trees jump up at your plane and Kids will stand, where you want land it ..

I switched from cars to planes a month or so back. Super cub was my first plane, buy it you won't regret it.

It's a great plane because it comes with a speccy 4 channel controller, spares are cheap and it is so upgradeable, so it can grow with you as your flying skills improve.  It is great fun to fly stock but you can upgrade it to be 4 channel with a simple aileron mod, then you can add a brushless motor for extra speed and bigger wheels for better take off and landings.

Some mods here :-

They used a home brewed brushless mount but you can buy the entire kit here http://www.ebay.com/itm/Super-Cub-Motor-Mount-Upgrade-Kit-no-battery-/261220194028?pt=US_Radio_Control_Control_Line&hash=item3cd1efd6ec

or just get the mount from them and get the esc etc direct from Hobbyking.

Then when you need more of a challenge consider this :-

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__36743__Wing_Wing_Z_84_EPO_845mm_PNF_UK_Warehouse_.html

Which is 40 quid odd, your cub battery will fit and all you will need to get it in the air is a 4 channel receiver 

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__28441__OrangeRx_R410_Spektrum_DSM2_Compatible_4Ch_2_4Ghz_Receiver_UK_Warehouse_.html

Ok thanks alot for your help people. I can see the up down left right bit getting confusing lol. There's a pritty big field near me and country park. What's the restrictions on where ur allowed to fly?

As I understand it if you are on privately owned land you need the land owners permission (national trust, uk heritage, local farmers etc) public places you don't but you need to abide by certain rules

http://www.bmfa.org/ANO/

These rules look vague and basically mean that if someone complains you are flying in a public place and it is noisy or dangerous you will probably get moved on if they called the police.

I started flying on public footpaths through large fields near where I live, in remote sections. But I had farmers complaining I was flying over their fields, a lady who complained she could here my leccy super cub half a mile away in her garden and a bird watcher who ranted at me for scaring the birds off. So in the end I located my local flying club joined and haven't looked back since.

We have 4 sites some open 24 x 7 and most owned by the MOD. We pay them a set amount a year and get to fly hassle free in some great sites.

Not sure if that answered your question. To be honest if those parks and areas you mentioned have few to no people around I would go for it. But I would get insurance via the same link above and avoid any areas with people, kids and trees all obvious stuff.

If you are challenged by Joe public you can tell them you are fully insured. As long as you are not flying dangerously then the worse that can happen is you will be asked to move on.

Oh and on your first flight with the cub set the rates to low on the dx4 and hand launch it into the wind with the prop going around 3/4 throttle.

Hand launching is easier than a rolling start. And keep your flying area in front of you don't flying it over your head and behind you. That way you will never get caught downwind with your cub disappearing into the horizon (as I did!)

Good luck! Report back how you get on.

restrictions, 

be aware of your suroundings 

DO NOT fly close to airports be them large or small. 

abide by ATC rules ( fly atleast 3mile way ), and contact them if your unsure.

its good to let them know that your model is in the air. 

STAY BELOW A CERTAIN HIGHT : 400FT is your max ceiling hight as set out by the civil aviation authority

ok thanks people for your advice. regards to the hand launching i want to give that a miss as i really want to master the take of and landing first . my mum is the manager at the land i will fly on sometimes and the other place is local council owned field thanks

best way is have mum or a good friend with you, 

have them hand launch your model and you stay at the sticks.

make sure they launch the aircraft into the wind and not throw, but

push the airplane into the air level. 

when the plane leave there hand you add a little throttle and pull back on the right stick a little.

now your flying .

taking off from the ground is NOT so easy you have to content with cross wind, air speed and the ground itself.

landing is simple come in slow under half throttle gentley add a little up elevator and low throttle slowly. just before

you touch down CUT motor throttle OFF, be ready to pull back on right stick a little and you should land.

it may not be graceful as flights go but, more airtime the better the skill becomes and the more enjoyment you have.

can anyody help. i rang around a few model shops today to see what stock was around locally for the super cub most of the ones i have looked are white with a blue stripe on and come with dx4 and are around 120

The red one is the old model with the 3 channel radio. The latest model is white with blue and comes with the dx4e 4 channel radio.

Don't get the old model! Apex models sold me mine had them in stock in the store. They do mail order too. Plenty of places have them in stock. Do you what a local shop or did you want mail order?

Inwood models will have them in stock by the wkend they said and they do the one with blue stripe. The red stripe one was from modelzone i asked if it was the old version he so no no lol

picked up my new super cub yesterday all built and ready to fly but it was really windy yesterday and the same today! this is just not fair at all  :xd:

Ya I would wait. My super cub was blown away from me on its maiden. Found it approx half a mile away in some woods. Was very lucky. :-)

The good news is once you improve you will be able to fly in pretty strong winds. I was out for a good hour and a half today in strong wind flying my wings and my radjet like kites.

Trick is to always keep the plane upwind and don't panic when the wind is behind the plane.

The stock super cub does struggle to cut through the wind but my brushless super cub through wind like a knife through butter :-)

Msg me when you can fly your super cub with your eyes closed and I will send you some links on how to cut ailerons into your wings and how to make the brush less upgrade.

Edited by gavinc

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I would also strongly recommend joining a local club. I've bought park flite models in the past with no success what so ever. The most I ever managed was 7 seconds in the air before the inevitable.