• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 S40bul

S40bul

MSUK Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts
  • RC Cars:Losi 8ight 2.0T,Ansman vapour , LOSI 5ive Losi mini 8ight. Heliguy viper quadcopter, DJI Phantom , DJI F550

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:27 PM

Been pushing the range a bit on the phantom lately (FPV) , seem to be getting well over the recomended 300m mark ok on stock set up

http://m.youtube.com...h?v=7CZytDzD6AA

http://m.youtube.com...h?v=FK2yVaXsK7o
  • richarddenton1982 likes this

#2 hebby

hebby

Oldham`s answer to Tom Cruise

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,487 posts
  • RC Cars:Losi Mini 8ight-T with Velineon motor. EMB-Desert buggy. EMB-Short course

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:58 PM

Must admit I've had a fair distance with mine :-) but now I got the 600mw transmitter so should double it easy :-) heard its over a mile range :-0

#3 S40bul

S40bul

MSUK Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts
  • RC Cars:Losi 8ight 2.0T,Ansman vapour , LOSI 5ive Losi mini 8ight. Heliguy viper quadcopter, DJI Phantom , DJI F550

Posted 13 June 2013 - 08:38 AM

Must admit I've had a fair distance with mine :-) but now I got the 600mw transmitter so should double it easy :-) heard its over a mile range :-0

Nice , was thinking of upgrading Tx /Rx to futaba. I've watched a couple of YouTube vids which makes the task look a bit less daunting ....... What you running with ??
Planning an OSD when back in stock , then can keep a closer eye on the battery level ect. Never really pushed it by the 8 minute mark

#4 hebby

hebby

• Gold Member
  • 5,487 posts
  • RC Cars:Losi Mini 8ight-T with Velineon motor. EMB-Desert buggy. EMB-Short course

Posted 13 June 2013 - 05:57 PM

Nice , was thinking of upgrading Tx /Rx to futaba. I've watched a couple of YouTube vids which makes the task look a bit less daunting ....... What you running with ??
Planning an OSD when back in stock , then can keep a closer eye on the battery level ect. Never really pushed it by the 8 minute mark

Got one running stock and one running a DX6I 

Only use mine with Fatshark and Gopro but currently awaiting on a GPS unit off a mate of mine  :thumbsup:

When i use my FPV i use my iphone as a timer of around 7 mins then i know i got at least 2 mins to get back  :yes:

• S40bul likes this

#5 Tamiyacowboy

Tamiyacowboy

MSUK Addict

• Members
  • 5,027 posts
  • RC Cars:canon 350D

Posted 13 June 2013 - 06:48 PM

FPV range you can push way beyond a mile and a half, BUT 

the problem lays with your antennas , them rubber duck antenna are useless.

so first off you need a decent cloverleaf thats correct for your TX, 

next is your RX or whats call the ground base, your going to need a Patch antenna.

this is like a flat panel and gives out a small cone beam, fly out of this beam you loose signal.

now with the above method your focusing the beam alot more and this means a longer range ability, but

at a cost to a smaller cone beam size and the constant moving of patch antenna to have best focus of beam onto target.

#6 S40bul

S40bul

MSUK Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 10:12 PM

FPV range you can push way beyond a mile and a half, BUT

the problem lays with your antennas , them rubber duck antenna are useless.
so first off you need a decent cloverleaf thats correct for your TX,
next is your RX or whats call the ground base, your going to need a Patch antenna.
this is like a flat panel and gives out a small cone beam, fly out of this beam you loose signal.

now with the above method your focusing the beam alot more and this means a longer range ability, but
at a cost to a smaller cone beam size and the constant moving of patch antenna to have best focus of beam onto target.

It all gets a bit 'James Bond like' Tamiya ....
I take it the cloverleaf / patch antenna set up is for flying the thing and not for the video link ??
Got a couple of spironet antennas for the video tx / rx which made a huge difference

#7 Tamiyacowboy

Tamiyacowboy

MSUK Addict

• Members
  • 5,027 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:25 AM

It all gets a bit 'James Bond like' Tamiya ....
I take it the cloverleaf / patch antenna set up is for flying the thing and not for the video link ??
Got a couple of spironet antennas for the video tx / rx which made a huge difference

nope for the vid link buddy, you keep a planner cloverleaf on the quad side.

at the ground base your antenna changes to a patch antenna. it goes from the clover leaf design to a flat panel 

what its doing is focusing the beam to a narrow angle, and adds that extra range, the beams angle is less

but range becomes more. 

check the video below at Ali's backpack antenna, notice its a flat panel not a clover.

then look if he shows his aircraft, notice they carry the cloverleaf. 

what this does is turns you into an antenna tracker

#8 S40bul

S40bul

MSUK Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 11:36 AM

nope for the vid link buddy, you keep a planner cloverleaf on the quad side.
at the ground base your antenna changes to a patch antenna. it goes from the clover leaf design to a flat panel 

what its doing is focusing the beam to a narrow angle, and adds that extra range, the beams angle is less
but range becomes more. 

check the video below at Ali's backpack antenna, notice its a flat panel not a clover.

Ahh nice Tamiya, got you now. Cheers
Take it the OSD has a signal strength showing so you can turn to keep the patch antenna pointing in right direction

#9 Tamiyacowboy

Tamiyacowboy

MSUK Addict

• Members
  • 5,027 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 12:31 PM

yes osd overlays data. 

your able to set them up and choose what you want shown on the screen layover.

alt - speed - airspeed - gps signal - voltage - amp draw etc etc.

if say everything goes to pot, you loose the vid feed like a good 1/4 mile out.

you scan body to try get the cone beam  but cant, ( this happens in a few seconds )

you will auto start to search a signal, banking craft either left or right and back towards home.

if not you slam the get out of jail switch ( RTH ) , and wait for craft to come back, at same time keeping eye

on goggles/lcd for the signal return from vid

Edited by Tamiyacowboy, 14 June 2013 - 12:34 PM.

• S40bul likes this

#10 S40bul

S40bul

MSUK Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 04:51 PM

Well ...... Had the phantom failsafe kick in yesterday. Was FPV'n along a cliff edge when I must have dropped below line of sight behind a tree. Lost video link and Tx control ... Wooops !

http://m.youtube.com...h?v=rsEZDzH56D4

The phantom stopped in its tracks , flew vertical then started its return to home ...... Where I regained control before it landed
What a bit of kit !

#11 hebby

hebby

• Gold Member
  • 5,487 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 09:17 PM

Yeah they have a new feature when the sticks are not moved for 20 seconds OR the phantom recognises no movement from sticks for 20 seconds fail safe kicks in :-)

Never needed it or needed to hit fail safe but have tested ;-) and can say mine also works a treat :-)

#12 Tamiyacowboy

Tamiyacowboy

MSUK Addict

• Members
  • 5,027 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 11:16 AM

here you go S40bul, i adjusted link to direct play .

yep handy is that rth, i did notice your on the hill top nearly and the craft was getting below the 

surface horizon.

#13 S40bul

S40bul

MSUK Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 06:28 PM

[quote  
here you go S40bul, i adjusted link to direct play .
yep handy is that rth, i did notice your on the hill top nearly and the craft was getting below the 
surface horizon.[/quote]
Ah nice one bud, wondered how the youtube links I post show differently

#14 S40bul

S40bul

MSUK Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 08:16 PM

New transmitter arrived today , hopefully will get it hooked up to the Phantom soon ........ And hopefully without any glitches
null-3.jpg
Should be a tad better for range

#15 S40bul

S40bul

MSUK Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 06:01 PM

Finally got round to hooking up the Futaba T8J to the Phantom (Was stretching the range a bit at 400m with the stock set up) Had a wee range check today of the T8J and was still getting good signal at over 1km distance .... Well happy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users