• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Styrene LR 101 Forward Control Build

Many of you will have seen this on Scalerc already but thought I would post it on here for those who have not.

Basically I'm scratch building a Land Rover 101 FC body like the one in the photo below, it will sit on an SCX10 Dingo Kit chassis hopefully running leaf springs. For the dimensions i printed off some photo's and scaled them up to the Dingo wheelbase (290mm) and printed off. 

BF+101.jpg

Here's where I'm at so far.

photo_%2810%29.JPG

photo~3.JPG

Comments and advice welcome as ever. :)

Edited by Dom C
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Looks good. :)

I've been busy too.

Finally done a bit more, the front bumper/light surrounds have been a total PITA to make but after a couple of goes I think they look pretty good, just needs a bit of sanding still. cool.png

1384887_681267835219179_799447931_n_zpsb

• 6 months later...

Not updated this for ages but here's how it's sat atm. 

photo234_zps4596e137.jpg

photo12_zps131fcfa4.jpg

I ended up buying a Sawback instead of an SCX10 as they are on leafs so correct for a 101 and supposedly the wheelbase was the same however it turned out to be 300mm not 290mm so I had to drill the chassis and move the front hangers back. 

• 4 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 9 months later...

3 years... I guess you could say I'm taking my time with this one. There's really not a lot more to do I'm just being lazy aha. Minor update today, finally fitted some RC4WD DUKW tyres I got off Martin a few months ago. Wasn't exactly a direct fit to the Gmade wheels I'm using because the lip is smaller on RC4WD wheels and wouldn't mount up with modification. Ideally I needed a lathe but don't have one so made a ghetto lathe out of a cordless drill and a Stanley knife and it worked surprisingly well! :)  

Wheel weight wise I've for 385 grams each up front and 280 at the rear (including tyres and wheels), this is what I ran in my defender and the shell weighs pretty much the same as a hardbody defender shell with interior. 

IMG_1696_zpsbpha49up.jpg

After and before

IMG_1699_zpsoho1bx9m.jpg

Also painted the gash silver pumpkin to white - how it would have been on a 1/1 for when in convoy. Not sure how long it will last but looks loads better.

Who said leafys don't flex? 

IMG_1701_zpsndidcnq1.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 6/14/2016 at 15:24, Oh How Original said:

Nice job on the 'ghetto' lathe Dom :lol:

Can't believe I viewed this on the day you started the thread and three years later I still want to see it finished and muddy!

Haha, I'm sort of doing stuff on it for a few days then leaving it for a few months and so on... Few more little updates now, I'm hoping to finally finish it next month. :) Sorting the canvas was a bit of a challenge, finding the right colour/texture took a few attempts but I'm pretty happy with what I've got it all just needs stitching together now.

A couple of updates that look minor but felt quite major! First up and hard to get a picture of, the interior which is home made from styrene with seats/floorpans and a V8 engine cover, along with the mad gearstick like on a 1/1 101 is glued in. I've also used a D90 kit steering wheel I had spare.

IMG_2214_zpspnpbwnrz.png

Also chopped up the front as I'd miss measured the very front panel by about 5mm and it just didn't quite look right. Was a bit scary taking a hacksaw to it, still needs filling and painting etc but looks loads better. 

IMG_2217_zpsirhgrion.jpg

I've also started making canvas mk2, this one is going to be made in sections and stitched together because it was proving near impossible to make accurately in one. Should start stitching tomorrow so will update with results soon.

• 2 years later...