• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Carisma GTB - 1/16th belt drive offroad micro thread

c0sie

BFzmZcqCAAER5eM.jpg

(Phil Sleigh's championship winning Carisma GTB ready for its RRCi magazine photoshoot!)

There doesnt seem to be much talk on this forum about the new belt-drive GTB from Carisma so I thought a thread might be on order!

The newly released GTB won the last 2 rounds of this seasons BRCA Micro Championship, and won the overall 1/16th 4WD Championship, a 3rd championship in a row for the Carisma team.

More details about the car can be found at the following link: http://www.cmldistribution.co.uk/cml_product.php?productId=0000007197

If any of you have any questions about the GTB, or micro RC racing here in the UK please let me know and I'll do my best to answer them, or atleast get some of the team to answer them :)

Cris

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

i was thinking about getting one of these but then i went off the idea :( 

but now, i want one again! looks sooooooo nice:D

but this is where you wanna buy one - http://www.modelsport.co.uk/carisma-gtb-4wd-1-16th-scale-belt-drive-buggy-kit/rc-car-products/373263

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
My New bodyshell, done by 'Custom Blitz'

temporary_zps18587743.jpg

I got my new Front Tower from DMS today, looks awesome and fits like a dream :)

temporary_zps0511b783.jpg

Its thicker than standard towers, but with the recess at the bottom the gearbox mount fits fine. Also i think it looks way cooler than the standard gear.

temporary_zps085da204.jpg

(Ignore the bald kit tyres, its what i use to rage around the yard at work when not busy :) )

Ive also got the new Rear Tower from DMS today and once again it is thicker but with a recess so it fits properly. (Havn't got a close up) However there is 3 different wing heights so you can mount it higher or lower, also once again its been made to look alot prettier and follows the shape of the rear wing.

Can't wait to try it on Monday!

sam ill be getting one of thease after i sell my mini 8. any necessary upgrades ?

CVD'S. Standard drive shafts are *****.

Thats it. Btw were planning another winter series at Wycombe sponsored by xfactory

• 2 weeks later...

I would be interested in body off shots too if you can,the guys that are using the 5700kv and 6800kv carisma motors what gearing are you using on them.

Si

Right i got some pictures, alot could be neater (like shortning wires) but im really not gonna bother doing that.

The ESC is a bitch to fit, you have to dremel down the cooling fins to fit. The battery strap, is normally a full length of chassis strap but i trimmed mine down (as i use smaller batteries, being a racer not a smasher i they only have to last 5minutes 30seconds) this means i was able to move my reciever down from the top deck onto the chassis for a better weight distubution and CoG.

The servo strap is also custom made as the standard one is pretty ***** and only fits one type of servos, if you make a strap like i did this opens up every single servo which fits the Losi Mini 8.

Any questions, please ask

WP_20130811_004_zps872a309b.jpg

WP_20130811_006_zpse99414f3.jpg

Edited by karting
  • Like 1

Hi Karting

Thanks for posting the pics of your buggy,seeing that brings home just how small these are!

I'm going to buy one but I've got a couple of questions.I'm getting it to take to the beech on holiday as I would not want to run my 1/8 race kits on the sand,however I may race it during the winter. I spoke with Harry and he said I should go for the 6800kv motor where I was thinking of the 5700. I'll only ever run 2s so what's your thoughts on this? Also I see you had a little trouble fitting in your esc, I notice the carisma esc is a lot smaller. Have you seen one of those and would you recommend one? Hoping some of your fellow racers might use them.

Thanks for your help

Hi Karting

Thanks for posting the pics of your buggy,seeing that brings home just how small these are!

I'm going to buy one but I've got a couple of questions.I'm getting it to take to the beech on holiday as I would not want to run my 1/8 race kits on the sand,however I may race it during the winter. I spoke with Harry and he said I should go for the 6800kv motor where I was thinking of the 5700. I'll only ever run 2s so what's your thoughts on this? Also I see you had a little trouble fitting in your esc, I notice the carisma esc is a lot smaller. Have you seen one of those and would you recommend one? Hoping some of your fellow racers might use them.

Thanks for your help

(i've never bashed, so can only give you advice on racing) Depends where you are going to race, at our club (Wycombe) we all run the kit 4500kv engine, not for fairness, but it gives us great torque around our short track. However whenever we have been to the Nationals and racing on the bigger straights, a slight gearing change and a bit of timing added on and all is fine again. I've seen the bigger Carisma motors and they work fine.

TBH when i fitted my esc, i made a complete hash of it, i rushed to get it ready to race that night, so it looks *****. I will be buying another esc soon (Hobbywing 40amp) and will be doing a neater fit. I've never seen the stock carisma one, but if its anything like the stock Losi one, then it is a very capable unit. But for less than

Edited by karting

There is a solution to the esc problem as lc racing have done in the emb-1 they have put the heat sink from the 25a esc onto the 35a esc as there are no fins on the 25a it saves alot of space and as far as I have seen with mine it has no temp issuses and I would see no problems in fitting the 25a heat sink to the range of 35,45 and 60amp versions of these esc's they all share the same housing and could well be better than taking the dremel to the fins,you can pick a 25a up for cheap money and take the top off and swap it over.

Si

• 1 year later...

Does anyone had a up to date pictures of their GTB's??

I've gone from a Mini 8 to the Carisma GTB and glad to have made the change :)

They dive so much smoother and the on off power is much more precise.

Anyone got any more pictures of theirs??

I've been racing mine for about 3/4 weeks now and love it! What motor you running?

Hi mate i'm running the Carisma 4500kv motor and that seems to run pretty well. I had this in the Mini 8 but it such a better drive in the Carisma.

What hop ups have you bought for yours and what motor are you running?

Ive done a bit of reading so just ordered the below

ALLOY BALL DIFF LOCKER T-NUTS

Carisma GTB Aluminium Pulley Set

GT14/GTB Assembled CVD Set

GT14B Anti Roll Bar Set

Would you recommend any other parts?

CVD's are a must! I have the roll bars too. Went for this servo https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=29339 as it fits with standard mount.

Just ordered the Carisma 4500kv motor today!

Been running a hobbyking 4500kv 2040 2 pole motor and it seems ok. Needs to be smoother though.

Next up for me is the weight kit, should make it more predictable. Also I would recommend hard springs on the front

• Like 1

Thats what ive heard and already experienced lol. I dont think i've gone a single race without the bar popping out and wedging the steering  :shockingscary:

I have the same servo as you but the slightly higher spec'd one but i run it along with an external BEC to get a true 7.2v operating voltage, its very quick. My esc is 6v.

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__29343__TGY_393V_HV_Metal_gear_Coreless_Digital_Servo_w_Heat_Sink_4_3kg_10sec_22_5g_UK_Warehouse_.html

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__31593__7_2V_2_5A_UBEC_2_5S_Lipoly_6_23v_UK_warehouse_.html

I'm running one of these ESC's and it seems pretty good so far. There is a lot more room to play with in one of these, my mini 8 is tight for space!!

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__7188__Turnigy_Brushless_ESC_60A_w_Reverse_prog_v2_2_.html

Ahh ok so the weight kit is something to think about too. I've just had a look and buying the full weight kit is a bit of a mission, they all seem to be out of stock :(

I will have a look for some hard springs too. I'm not sure what the standard kit comes with?

The Carisma motor is a sweet motor! You will really like that! 

Edited by MattyV6

Yeah the weight kit Im looking at is the Thumb Designs one. I race at a couple of clubs against 1/10th 2wd/4wd and it holds up pretty well.

The ESC is next on the list. I have the 25a version but currently running a turnigy 18a esc. What pinion you running?

• Like 1

Yeah the weight kit Im looking at is the Thumb Designs one. I race at a couple of clubs against 1/10th 2wd/4wd and it holds up pretty well.

The ESC is next on the list. I have the 25a version but currently running a turnigy 18a esc. What pinion you running?

How needed is the weight kit? I've only had mine on the track for 1 night so far and that was just a shakedown for the esc to get that programmed correctly. I'm guessing the weight kit would help a fair bit, my batteries are pretty light.

Mine is the 60amp version and it fits in JUST lol. I think a lot of people get away with the 35 amp but the 60amp had the same footprint so i got that one, was only 10 quid more.

I think i'm running a 15 tooth with the standard spur and it has plenty of speed on our straight but for longer i think it will need gearing up a little more, i'm not sure what tooth the spur is though? I've ordered a 16 & 17 tooth pinion.

I can not believe how epic these cars are! Yeah we had one down last week that was only a lap down on the 2wd KF's. This is my new love for RC :)

Edited by MattyV6