• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Kyosho Rebuild

Tav

Hey guys. Recently I had the urge to get an R/C car again. I have a nitro car already but it has been unused for about 4/5 years.

The car in question is a Kyosho PureTen GP Spider MkII 4WD. I looked on the R/C docs site but no avail. Has anyone had one of these...and might happen to have the instruction set?

I have the exploded view, motor instructions and servo instructions....but no main instructions. Would quite like to get a scan of those.

It comes with the GS11R engine....I wonder if that is now defunct?

I also wonder if I will be able to get spare parts and hop ups for it?

I wouldn't like to just get rid as it was expensive when I bought it and I am sure it has some life left in it....whadda you think?

depends on its life if the engine hasn't rusted...

as for after run oil wasn't used....

Try having a strip down look and do a complete search for any screws and other stuff that look like there on there way out...

Ziggy

Most of screws on the underside are on their way out I think. Scraped off the ground and looking flat. No signs of rust on the car at all. It has been stored in a dry warm loft for the last few years.

Going to strip and clean the chassis tomorrow.

Here are some pics <blurry I know...no tripod and I hate flash!>...getting a shopping list together for parts.

Need a new foam air filter. Can't find them any where at the moment. A little different to the other type I have seen. Anyone able to point me in the right direction? A picture of this part is at the very bottom.

I also need 4 new rims and tyres....6 year hardening time on the glue which was to keep them on under hard cornering has meant they really don't want to come off!

Pictures:

kyosho_01.jpg

kyosho_02.jpg

kyosho_03.jpg

kyosho_04.jpg

kyosho_05.jpg

Edited by Tav

To get the tyres off try boiling the wheels ;)

And that air filter is seriously weird, never seen one like that before :wacko:

And is the thing on the rear the pipe?

The air filter might be big looking but you could probably get a Motor Saver air filter to fit on.

http://www.wheelspinmodels.co.uk/shop.php?category=22

Yes it is the pipe,a lot of the cheap Tamiya cars have those type as well.

Looking at the old fuel in the tank I wouldn't have thought it would bode to well for the inside of the engine :(

I am not holding out much hope for the engine either. The filter is a really good design...although perhaps overly complicated compared to others.

The rear exit pipe is unusal I know. Works well enough though. I know they did a performance pipe hop up which sits in the 'normal position.'

Speaking of old fuel...how the hell do I clean out the fuel tank? Nitro fuel is stubborn and obviously doesn't like water.

Edited by Tav

Speaking of old fuel...how the hell do I clean out the fuel tank? Nitro fuel is stubborn and obviously doesn't like water.

I would say flush it out with some old fuel.

In the past I have washed a fuel tank with water,you just need to make sure it is totally dry before re-using it though.

Dont know if the parts here go back far enough for your car.

http://www.tamiyaparts.co.uk/tamiyaparts/tpx/kyosho.htm

Engine spares

http://www.ripmax.com/PriceList/X0200.html

looking at the state of the tank and pipes you woulb probably be better off just getting new ones mate :good:

Def. getting new pipes. I think the tank is fine. New engine might be on the cards...or just new liner and piston possible yeah?

My old kyosho truck had been stood a couple of years. Just cleaned the tank out with a automotive brake cleaner (good de-greaser :good: ).

Never heard of after run oil before i saw this site, so took a chance put new fuel and batteries in and away it went.

Best it ever run tbh and still going now :lol:

(throttle took a bit of cleaning though (brake cleaner again))

Edited by okeydokey

Cleaning the fuel tank...

Do wat i do... unplug and take out - go to sink and flush several times untill the water isn't cloudy as the nitro and water react....

and for pipes just run them under the tap

Ziggy

Well I got the engine off last night. As I turn the output shaft it feels smooths and pinches at the top of its travel...I read that's what it should do? Never heard of after run oil till I signed up hear as well...

...I think the fact the car is cacked in nitro helped it from rusting!

:lol: I dont see how, as when the nitro evaporates, then the oils and that left is what cause the rusting.

I think thats right anyway. And the pinching at the top is a good sign

Well I would thought the oils would...prevent oxygen from coming in contact with the metal surfaces.

Found lots of engine spares. I think the others will be more difficult to find!

From http://www.ripmax.com

X-K/6510-21 Crankcase GS11R 22.50

X-K/6510-22 Crankshaft GS11R 14.50

X-K/6510-23 Piston and Liner GS11R 22.50

X-K/6510-24 Cylinder Head(Gold Anod.)GS11R 16.99

X-K/6510-25 Throttle Drum GS11R 4.50

and from http://www.tamiyaparts.co.uk

K.6510-21 Crankcase Gs11r £32.02

K.6510-22 Crankshaft - Gs11r £26.54

K.6510-23 Piston And Liner - Gs11r £28.36

K.6510-24 Cylinder Head - Gs11r £21.04

K.6510-25 Throttle Drum Gs11r £5.30

K.6510-27 Needle Valve 6510.30/6520.37 £7.68

K.6510-28 Throttle Drum Gs11r £5.68

Edited by Tav

Go for it!!!

Beaware! putting a new liner + piston will be a pain in da bum if its anything like the T-15

But it looks good and the pinch sign is good as well...

Sounds like you dont need a new liner really.... but its totally upto u :D

Ziggy

I really need to learn how to dismantle it. I took of the clutch bell housing...but there are springs etc there....springs scare me! I just wanna be sure it will go back together!

Edited by Tav

:lol: the springs are a good thing ;)

If you cant put the clutch back together, keep with it as they are fiddly little things to do, even with a manual :wacko:

This is where it really would be better to have the manual. Maybe go on www.rcuniverse.com and ask if anyone has it, as I know a few people over there have vintage cars :good: