• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Suitable FPV camera ?

well i have bad wobbles on the small micro camera, to much pulling apart

and soldering stuff to it.

I would love a gopro but alas i cannot justify cost when i already own a Dslr.

so i went to find something cheaper. i came across two possible candidates.

Hitachi sport HD camera : looks like a gopro has a 1080p recording costs

I know what your thinking get a cheap version of the go pro as there overpriced, but in al honesty i have a few of these cheap action cams and at the end of the day there not worth there money .. The only one i found that was any good was a original 808#16 ..Pricey at

yep after reading and more youtube reviews than a shopping channel.

i decided to put a hold on the hunt for a camera. 

infact i dont think the little f330 will carry it after everything is fitted.

i work out around a 650g all up flying weight in a 330mm package.

my idea : canon 350D, carrying a full cell pack with a 8gb 300x CF.

a 50mm canon lens, lenshood, remote shutter lead, 

2x 5kg servos metal geared for gimble. chose 5kg as they should carry the 450-650g 

camera and pitch/roll it fairly smooth with some decent torque.

But i wanted a cheapy 1080 to cover the HD side that my camera does not have,

and also movie to, my dslr is none hd and cannot record live footage.

Have you considered the Sony HDRAS15? Not as pricey as the Go Pro but I like the fact that it has in built image stabilisation when in 120 degree mode. Why it is not available in their 170 degree mode is a bit annoying.

I would say you are welcome to try mine but a little too far out for me to pop over. :(

i shall wait and see, going to need bigger esc's and motors

and a larger more able frame to take the camera system.

i guess people expect to be able to download to pc and upload straight to

where ever. those cheapys appeal to me for price, they are cheap,

but some post production work could help on the  movies taken

and nothing am not use to doing with the 808#9 i have. 

Edited by Tamiyacowboy

ok this has me perplexed. 

a camera sensor size of 640x480 

ok so the native size is the standard 640x480 jobbie.

how the hell are they getting 720p from a 640x480 chip

Upscale the image,

i tested my 808 cam last night took a photo, 1280x1024, looks very shoddy.

resized to 1280x720 ( 720p) ok image looks a bit beter still doggy ugly.

so i go all out revert image to a 640x480, guess what it perfect , crisp clear lovely

just very very small lol.

Now i have totaly changed mind, i am going to be using my Dslr i think for photo's

and have a 720 line cctv camera as a feed line to a dv recorder on my lappy 

Have you considered the Liquid Image Ego? It records at 30 FPS at 1080p and 60 FPS at 720p also has 130 or 90 degree fov. Seems like all settings are done via an android or iphone/ipad application via the cameras built in wifi connection which could put some people off. The good thing is its small form factor.

The video quality from what I have seen is pretty good and theres an indepth 2 part review on the techmoan website if your interested. Price is around

You may be able to help me out too.

I am trying to find a mount for my gopro for my bixler ( when it gets here that is )

Anyway the mount vary from model to model and i cant seem to find one for the 1.1.

Someone has suggested a fpv camera mount but they dont seem to have a bracket suitable for the gopro, unless you can help me otherwise.

I am trying to find a mount for my gopro for my bixler ( when it gets here that is )

Anyway the mount vary from model to model and i cant seem to find one for the 1.1.

Someone has suggested a fpv camera mount but they dont seem to have a bracket suitable for the gopro, unless you can help me otherwise.

have a gander at this, a homebrew Ply/balsa gopro mount for bixler

Edited by Tamiyacowboy

Have you considered the Liquid Image Ego? It records at 30 FPS at 1080p and 60 FPS at 720p also has 130 or 90 degree fov. Seems like all settings are done via an android or iphone/ipad application via the cameras built in wifi connection which could put some people off. The good thing is its small form factor.

The video quality from what I have seen is pretty good and theres an indepth 2 part review on the techmoan website if your interested. Price is around

Edited by Carlton

Have the ego, great little sports/action cam but the range of the wifi is only about 10-15 feet. No good for fpv im afraid.

just watched a review and it seems soon as you hit record you turn off the wifi, and it has a real lag,

you can get the version one gopro mount from eBay or hobbyking for not much cash or you can build one like mine.. Original canopy, Ply and epoxy and a little elbow grease. edy3yhuz.jpg

There is no me in team..

you can get the version one gopro mount from eBay or hobbyking for not much cash or you can build one like mine.. Original canopy, Ply and epoxy and a little elbow grease. edy3yhuz.jpg

There is no me in team..

Nice one. 

Going to start a thread as dont want to spam Tamiyacowboys thread with my questions

• 1 year later...

plz share ur experience of online shopping of digital equipments? 

http://www.electronics4all.co.uk

Please stop using my post to spam your online store. 

for one i HAVE NEVER purchased anything from your store so why would i

want to write a review for products on your store if i have not shopped with you.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

FPV cameras are not usually used to record footage,

they beam the signal to a set of goggles and/or a capture device/LCD screen.

Basic FPV cameras will Be CCTV like board base cameras, just a populated PCB camera

needing 12v supply , the same is needed for the transmitter to. 

so cheap as anything would be a 400-420TVL camera board price around

? I don't understand this, why not use the same HD camera that is recording for fpv, as it saves weight, and is cheaper and also you can see exactly what's being recorded and is in frame ect as its the same camera?

Flight test on YouTube do it this way and there onborad footage dose not seem to loose any quality or anything looks great!

I'm not all knloadable on fpv so please correct me on wjy this is a bad idea, but on the outside to me it makes sense.