• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Savage x 4.6 vs savage xl 5.9

Chasman

Hi, going to buy a savvy next year but not sure which to buy the X 4.6 or the xl 5.9??

I bash all my trucks on a big open field with one massive jump so want to know what the best all rounder will be? And the pros and cons of each truck?

Thanks

Hear what yah saying Chasman but I sort of want a truggy n MT to go with my Buggy but to buy both new is more than I want to spend..... The alternative is to just buy a new savage X/XL?

Currently cleaning up some old RCs for a mate who owns a shop (as off my feet and sort of house bound) and just done an Hobao ST with StS engine which seems quite well looked after so was thinking get that n a 2nd hand savage. Really not sure at the mo!

Bit worried about the savage and the amount of spur/diff issues forumed on here!

Procrastination is an art form I am we'll versed in (must be my Yorkshire tight assed roots).

Cleaning a Tmaxx n the thing idles like a bar steward n runs real hot even with fuel blowing outta the exhaust......! So was it the Tmaxx engine that was suspect not that it was 2nd hand.... Just askin?

Spur and diff issues?

Not really!

Lots of peopple looking to upgrade older Savage models, and if yo uup-engine an old 25, then you want to upgrade the diffs. Similarly...even with quite powerful motors...a properly meshed plastic spur gear lasts well enough. The problems tend to come from worn clutch bearings or poor mesh. I had to switch to metal on my twin engined beast as the plasic ones stripped under unequal load.

If you buy a new model, or recent version X or XL, then you get all those upgrades built in. The only issue you are likely to have is with the 5.9 motor, which is not the worlds best quality engine ( re-badged Force motor) ... but replace that with an LRPZ32 and go from there. The rest of the truck should be sound.

• Like 2

Cool thanks for the advice. Is the 4.6 motor more reliable? If it is I'm thinking if I buy the X version then if I want the added size etc I can convert it to a XL in the future? Also does this 4.6 have more torque than the 5.9? Something I read stated it has more low end grunt and more torque? If so the 3speed conversion would be sweet

The 5.9 has more torque than the 4.6.

4.6 does seem to be more durable.

3 speed gives more speed, and can be used with the 4.6 as well. I have never bothered with one, as I don't bother with the speed element so much. Most of the bash areas I use the thing in don;t need more speed than I have aleady. 3rd is a pain to set as well, as it means stripping the gearbox to get at it.

id go for the savage x as they're a lot more popular and more fun imo (easier to wheelie) and will go plenty fast enough as already said the 5.9 engine isn't as reliable as the 4.6, ( im currently running in a 4.6, seems great so far :D)

I have 3 savages a x (4.6) a xl (5.9) and the flux hp

With the xl you have more torq more overall power and a better top speed but the engine is a pain to break in and tune as it is suck a big engine but with the 4.6 you have the ability to change it if you won't more speed add a 3speed so what do you like when you bash speed or don't you mind if its yes to speed then go 5.9.

People say the the 5.9 is not reliable wrong my engine has never gone wrong its reliable if you know what you are doing change the glow plug to your liking and weather conditions tune it correctly and take care of it so after run oil ect I personally prefer the xl has it has the power and speed when I need it you will pop wheelies when ever you throttle down I love my savage