• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

HPI Savage X 4.6 - Roto Start Vs Pull Start

TimS

Hi All,

I've got a Savage X which is my pride and joy!

It's got a roto start fitted at present but it's eating up the one way bearings to the extent that I'm on my second one in as many weeks!

Firstly, does anyone else have this problem and secondly, is a pull-start the answer?

If I go for the pull-start does anyone know if I can still keep the roll cage on to protect the heat sink head or does the cage get in the way of the pull start?

Any replies to the above would be much appreciated.

Best regards,

Tim.

Common Issue eating one way bearings with the rotastart as they are pretty hard on the OWB. A pull start will be gentler on the bearing...however you need to use the rotastart correctly to limit the stress on the OWB. ONLY use short bursts on the starter a few seconds each time- and the biggest bearing killer.....engine flooding! So immediatly stop blasting away on the rota start if you think your engine is flooded :thumbsup: the other issue you may get from your OWB is contamination from old fuel/gunk getting on the bearing- easy fix though, drop it in a fresh cup of nitro fuel or soapy water to clean it.

Edited by scrumpy jack

Either way the OWB's will die.

Solution: clean after every use,. just use WD40 works a treat, since I've been doing that I haven't needed a new one in over 25litres. I use a rotostart.

Theres even a mod for the sav that ets u squirt it in without removing the roto backplate

• Like 1

Either way the OWB's will die.

Solution: clean after every use,. just use WD40 works a treat, since I've been doing that I haven't needed a new one in over 25litres. I use a rotostart.

Theres even a mod for the sav that ets u squirt it in without removing the roto backplate

Explain more :)

Pull start, works and does the job, the only pain with a pull start is breaking the engine in.

as for the roll cage it should be all ok, i have a cage on my XL and i can access pull start, also the roll cage is on hinges too,to prevent this if it was a problem.

Explain more :)

you can drill a small hole in the rotastart casing, then epoxy in a few inches of the straw you get with a can of WD40 then all you need to do is attach your can to the staw and squirt :thumbsup: Personally, cleaning the OWB after every time you run is a bit excesive I think. I will clean mine If I'm removing the engine, but generally I don't bother. My current OWB has been in there for well over 20 litres without any problems by the way.

Not trying to hijack this post lol. I have just purchased a new savage x and ive never used a roto start before. What are the main causes of damaging these bearings and how can you prevent damaging them, what do you do about cleaning them etc. Do you need to take the engine out just to clean them or is there an easier way. I take it not as easy as just spraying wd40 into the back plate lol.

Not trying to hijack this post lol. I have just purchased a new savage x and ive never used a roto start before. What are the main causes of damaging these bearings and how can you prevent damaging them, what do you do about cleaning them etc. Do you need to take the engine out just to clean them or is there an easier way. I take it not as easy as just spraying wd40 into the back plate lol.

Er...I think the entire post explains this.....have a read from the top of the page :whistling: