• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

GBE Hornett issue

stebro

Hey all i am after some advice from anyone that has ever ran a GBE Hornet.

Basically i am struggling to get a decent bottom out of the engine whilst i am running this pipe.

Have stripped the carb twice now to check if it a issue with that but all has been fine. Don't really want to strip it a 3rd time but may do just to check it agian.

Top end is fine but bottom end just bogs like mad.

Baja ran fine with the dom on but just cant get a tune on it with this pipe.

Any one ran this pipe that can tell me what they found

Thanks ste

Mines not a side pipe its a rear one. Apparently it is how the pipe is ment to be but i cant see it as it has no low end at all

Mines not a side pipe its a rear one. Apparently it is how the pipe is ment to be but i cant see it as it has no low end at all

my bad i didn't realise it was a rear i thought the hornet was a side pipe, that really doesn't sound right as all the side pipes i've come across, jetpros, predators v1 and 2 do all give very good bottom end as that the advantage of them =/ was it new or second hand? i would still try the clutch spring just in case it does have a higher power band

my bad i didn't realise it was a rear i thought the hornet was a side pipe, that really doesn't sound right as all the side pipes i've come across, jetpros, predators v1 and 2 do all give very good bottom end as that the advantage of them =/ was it new or second hand? i would still try the clutch spring just in case it does have a higher power band

No worries.

The hornet is a rarish pipe to get now and it is the only rear mount pipe i think that GBE did.

Going to try spring and clean carb again just to be sure

I had similar issues with an after burner clone exhaust (similar style to the hornet).

Never solved the issue, assumed pipe was a load of cr@p and stuck with Dom.

These hornets are supposed to be a good pipe from what I hear though.

Edited by Jolly_roger_uk

I had similar issues with an after burner clone exhaust (similar style to the hornet).

Never solved the issue, assumed pipe was a load of cr@p and stuck with Dom.

These hornets are supposed to be a good pipe from what I hear though.

Have seen the after burner and believe they a copy of the Hornet.

I will give it a good go over and try again and may even try a new carb too but if no luck may just get a side pipe.

The hornet has got some great reviews too when i looked on google for them, so will be a shame if this is how they do perform but i hope not cos middle and top is nice and it got a decent sound ( maybe little quiet though :whistling: )

Said earlier on in the thread that it was a 29. Just got a new carb today so will try that and if that dont work will drop the 9.5k spring in and drop ratio

Let me now how get on as have a hornet pipe for the sandrail I would defo say geared to high for engine pipe combo I would drop to 17/57 as I have seen toppers on a 26 and seemed ok

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

Let me now how get on as have a hornet pipe for the sandrail I would defo say geared to high for engine pipe combo I would drop to 17/57 as I have seen toppers on a 26 and seemed ok

Update as i tested at weekend.

Ran so much better with new carb on.

Ran fine with the 19/55 setup on loose dirt but on sand it bogged slightly.

Changing gearing this week aswell as my clutch as it is knackered too

Ran it today again with new clutch with 9500k spring in please 17/57 gearing and it was great.

Could probably go up to 18/56 but will leave it as it is for now.

Just got to sort air leak out now as idle is all over the place and doesn't matter what i did it just wasn't idling right. Suspect the carb bolts may be touching head so need shortening slightly

Cheers fella I will be running a 30.5 full mod so should be interesting

Would say it would be good for 18/56 then, would even go as far as say 19/55.

Mine would pull on the 19/55 but decided with every thing going on would stick the 17/57 set on while i did clutch.

Pops wheelies on the nice straight section now too

Will prob go 18/56 as for the beach so should go well

Yer i running on sand with my set up and it spins like mad so that better set up to go with.

Got to say not it running right ( except idle that is ) the pipe is quite impressive for a rear one.

That reminds me i could do with getting a new coupler for mine as it little bit worn.

Whne you got yours did it have a x port spacer?

• 1 year later...

Yer i running on sand with my set up and it spins like mad so that better set up to go with.

Got to say not it running right ( except idle that is ) the pipe is quite impressive for a rear one.

That reminds me i could do with getting a new coupler for mine as it little bit worn.

Whne you got yours did it have a x port spacer?

What was the final opinion if this pipe?

Quite rare to find any info on it.

What used to be Stebro's shorty is now mine, and I must say I love the pipe. It's nowhere near the power of a side pipe but it's as quiet as the stock square box but with a sweeter tone and completely contained inside the chassis.

I'm running it with an 8k spring and 17/57 (PCSC), 27cc stroker. It has all the grunt I require for steering with the rear wheels on the throttle :xd:

• Like 1