• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Locking Center diff

hebby

Ok so i got myself an Exo terra buggy and apart from the motor mount being made of chocolate and after tightening the grub on the slider it snapping i think its a decent kit BUT! i have one question.........

Whats anyones thoughts on locking the center diff? i have allready added some THICK THICK diff oil and still delivers too much power to front wheels even enough to make it like a boy racer in a corsa on sainsburys car park :whistling: in a few more runs the front wheels are gonna be bald with all the spinning.

so if i locked the diff will it make it slower? will it destroy and of the other diffs?

what oil did you use on the centre diff mate? mine has 100,000 weight in and that seems pretty good.

I currently have 10,000 in the front and 20,000 in the back, I think the front is diffing out a little so might swap to 20,000 in there aswell at some point.

other than that i thinki hit spot on with the oils for what i want out of it anyway.

Edited by darkangelv24

i locked the center diff in my hyper 7 , turned it into a complete animal

it just makes sure u get 50/50 power f/r

Edited by cboy

I'm going to lock the centre diff on my Hyper based SC project with Blu Tac. That way, there is still a tiny bit of 'give'so it's less harsh on the drivetrain and it's reversible.

Edited by DreXeL

How did you lock it as i might try my boys hyper 7.

i used epoxy metal resin as my center diff was knackered so i made use of it, now i wish i'd locked the rear diff to turn it into a drifter

i had 7k in front and 3k oils in rear, any little elevation on the front was pulling wheelies with my os vspec engine in it

what oil did you use on the centre diff mate? mine has 100,000 weight in and that seems pretty good.

I currently have 10,000 in the front and 20,000 in the back, I think the front is diffing out a little so might swap to 20,000 in there aswell at some point.

other than that i thinki hit spot on with the oils for what i want out of it anyway.

Exact same as you mate :-/ 10k in front 100k in center and 20k in rear but from stock center diff oil it has made a little difference but not enough as it still spins out the front wheels even on Tarmac that's dry as a bone so think I'm gonna araldite the center diff as there pretty cheap anyway plus got a spare set of gears in the kit :-)

I'm not gonna be racing just bashin and mainly on loose surface so don't want any front wheel spin :-/

Does it have a slipper clutch?

Al.

No mate it's a sealed diff with spur attached :-/

Have tried in the past to lock the hyper mini center diff with blue tack and don't work very well :-/ then locked it with araldite and presto worked perfect :-)

No mate it's a sealed diff with spur attached :-/

Have tried in the past to lock the hyper mini center diff with blue tack and don't work very well :-/ then locked it with araldite and presto worked perfect :-)

have to agree, blue tac didnt work too well when I tried it on one of my cars, ended up with the gears carving a path through the blue tac until it spun almost free with the lumps of blue tac scooped into areas just clearing all the gears.