• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Buying Advice for HPI Savage X 4.6 - parts & upgrades

UTTER_FILTH

Hey Everyone,

I looking to buy a new car just for messing around down the park and some bashing, dont plan to do anything competitive at all. Have been doing some reading and it seems a lot of people are saying the new Savage is a good car to get. I'm a complete newb with the hobby apart from driving my dads Mugen over 15 years ago, so dont really have a clue on what to buy etc so any help would be greatly appreciated.

I wanted order everything in one go in the next few days, rather then order it in dribs and drabs.

What basics will I need to get with the car? I'd rather get decent stuff first, then buy cheap and have to replace later on.

So, what batteries and charger should I get for the car and the controler?

I was thinking of getting this starter kit http://www.modelsport.co.uk/starter-packs/rc-car-categories/9930/993040

I've read that a lot of people say the bulletproof diffs need to be shimmed. What size shims would I need to order? do I need anything else to do this?

I've read I should buy the engine protector, should I?

Would this be a good upgrade for the steering servo? http://www.modelsport.co.uk/spektrum-digital-super-high-torque-metal-geared-servo/rc-car-products/34477

Is there anything else I should consider buying??

I'm really sorry if these kind of posts come up a lot, but I did try and search and couldn't find all the info I needed.

Thank in advance for any help.

Ricky

Assuming you are buying the new Savage X like this one ...

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/hpi-savage-x-4.6-gt-3-rtr-2.4ghz-grey-red-/rc-car-products/39426

You will need to by a few things which HPI really ought to include...

1) 7.2V NiMh battery for the rotostart. You won;t be able to run the motor without it...and of course, you will need a charger to go with that.

2) Get the starter pack you listed. You will need the glowstarter and charger, plus the fuel bottle is handy. The tools you get with the car and in the pack will be OK for starters...but consider getting better if you need to do any serious work. Hex drivers are way better than the allen-keys you will get

3) Replace the 4xAA battery pask that powers the receiver with a 6V hump-pack rechargable pack. If you shop carefully...the charger you get for the 7.2V batery pack should also be able to charge this. It will give a more reliable power supply to your servos and will last a lot longer before needing recharging.

the engine protector can help avoid scratching the cooling head in serious crashes and rollovers. In normal running, the shell takes most of the impact. You can make simple head protectors using a bit of fuel tube and some cable ties. Cheaper than buying the HPI kit.

Also...no point in upgrading hte servo unless you fitted a hump-pack to give it the power it needs. I would hold off doing that until you actually need to replace the servo due to failure.

shimming your diff will make it last longer, but with BP diffs and stock power plant, it's far less vital than it used to be. the old smaller toothed diffs were prone to failure especially if the motor was upgraded.

engne proctector is a must youll find out why when u use it (got tendancys to wheelie and flip)

you may want a few spurs gears in stock

dont know about shim sizes but yes they do mate found out from experience myself

dual fibre brakes http://www.modelsport.co.uk/hpi-fiberglass-dual-disk-brake-conversion-kit/rc-car-products/364769

wheelie bar http://www.modelsport.co.uk/hpi-wheelie-bar-set-for-savage/rc-car-products/23707

Im a newbie and just bought the one in the link above only had it 3 days and already scratched the cooling head with the protector on the shell is battered

but it has took everything thown at it great car love it.

Hey everyone,

Thanks for all the help, really appreciate it.. I ended up orering.

• (1) HPI Savage X 4.6 RTR 2.4GHz (Yellow/Black) menu_arrow.gif
  • (1) Orion Sport Power 2200 Stick Pack menu_arrow.gif
  • (2) Core RC 1600mAH NiMh 6v RX Hump Pack menu_arrow.gif
  • (1) Fusion Vector NX85 Delta Peak AC/DC Charger menu_arrow.gif
  • (1) Modelsport UK Professional 25 Glow Fuel - 1/2 gallon menu_arrow.gif
  • (2) OS No.8 Glowplug - Medium menu_arrow.gif
  • (1) RC System Nitro Starter Kit menu_arrow.gif
  • (1) HPI Roll Cage Set menu_arrow.gif
  • (1) HPI Heavy Duty Spur Gear 47 Tooth menu_arrow.gif
  • (1) HPI Wheelie Bar Set For Savage menu_arrow.gif

Just need to look into what size shims I will need for the diff. How long does it normally take to run these in?

Ricky

Hey everyone,

Thanks for all the help, really appreciate it.. I ended up orering.

• (1) HPI Savage X 4.6 RTR 2.4GHz (Yellow/Black) menu_arrow.gif
  • (1) Orion Sport Power 2200 Stick Pack menu_arrow.gif
  • (2) Core RC 1600mAH NiMh 6v RX Hump Pack menu_arrow.gif
  • (1) Fusion Vector NX85 Delta Peak AC/DC Charger menu_arrow.gif
  • (1) Modelsport UK Professional 25 Glow Fuel - 1/2 gallon menu_arrow.gif
  • (2) OS No.8 Glowplug - Medium menu_arrow.gif
  • (1) RC System Nitro Starter Kit menu_arrow.gif
  • (1) HPI Roll Cage Set menu_arrow.gif
  • (1) HPI Heavy Duty Spur Gear 47 Tooth menu_arrow.gif
  • (1) HPI Wheelie Bar Set For Savage menu_arrow.gif

Just need to look into what size shims I will need for the diff. How long does it normally take to run these in?

Ricky

The savage comes with an engine cage/protecter and a bag of shims for the diff .

Ive just bought mine and diffs where fine didnt need shimming at all.