• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Mad Monkey Problem (Gears?)

Mastema

Heya,

I am currently having a bit of trouble with the car I built a little while back. Basically when off the ground the wheels spin normally and everything sounds fine. When on the ground however the car works but there is a weird tinny / dull screaming sound from the gears, and its slow to accelerate / slower in general than normal.

Its happened once before and I took the transmission apart to check the gears all looked fine, which they all did (slight wear on spur gear). Put it all back together again and it worked fine for a while until now, where it's started to happen again. Have taken it all apart again and there is still no sign of wear on the gears. Am a little confused as to whats causing the problem.

Suggestions?

Cheers

Mast

Slipper clutch :good:

check your instruction manual for how to adjust it. its usually a nut on the spur gear, under the gear cover.

as a rule of thumb, tightened down and loosened 1 turn is generally a good setting for most slipper clutches

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Sometimes when you turn it on the servo makes a little noise And moves abit now but only to one side then won't move again and all the steering rods are intact as well I was driving it earlier then put the battry on charge then once it had finished charging I plugged it and the steering isn't working now .

If the motor works and runs it means the servo has failed I'm guessing

Have you tryed Unscrewing the servo horn. (Piece of plastic that stick it to the servo) off and just try turnin the system on and movin it with the controller. If the servo moves left and right with no problems it could be the servo horn that is the problem.

If it only moves little bits there's a chance you have stripped the gears in the servo. Or that the gears on the outside of the servo (tiny gear) or the servo horn has rounded them selfs.

• 3 weeks later...

Could be full of dust etc motors can just stop for no apparent reason they just burn out the HPI Firebolt motors are great and cheap a lower  (T) turn  motor will give you more power but find out if the ESC can handle it Modelsport will be able to tell you what it can handle if you can't find it in the manual. 

I'm a newbie too keep using the forum and you will get used to the terminology.

Ok if you go on the modelsport website and go to the electric motors section you will see brushed and brushless motors (forget about brushless for now). You will see the motors are rated 10T, 15T, 18T etc but a 10T is a faster motor than a 12T for instance, you have a 21T (Turn) motor if you could put a 10T in your car it would go much faster than the 21T it came with but its not as simple as that, the ESC Electronic Speed Control in your car may not be able to handle a 10T motor it might burn out but it could probably handle an 18T, you can find out the esc rating from where you bought the car. Also you must buy a 540 motor like the one you have, 540 is the physical size of the motor, you can get 280, 370, 550 etc but your car has a 540 so all in all you could be looking for a 18T 540 motor.

Inside your car there are two sets of electronics the ESC which I have mentioned and the RX (receiver) the RX will be the smaller of the two this picks up the signal from your hand held radio and sends the signal through the ESC which controls the speed of the car as you squeeze the trigger on the radio control.

You can upgrade all the above mentioned to customize your car if you wanted but I'd be out of my depth talking about that stuff. Its easy to change the motor though.

Also look at the pinned threads in the general electric forum for a more in depth explanation of all of the above.

Hope this helps and remember I knew nothing about this stuff six months either. 

Then again I could be wrong about all that stuff LOL.

Edited by GRIFKILL