• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

My modified Maverick Blackout.

Marc G60T

Cheers guys.

as for comments:

Brakes, more than enough. Stops no problem tho the block that the discs sit on has signs of wear. I have the end point and abs on the futaba set just right so as not to strain the drive train to much or lock the wheels.

Reliability, has been good so far. When i bought it the previous owner had only just run it in. I only ran it once in that "bought from the shop" spec. It then had pretty much a full strip down and rebuild using the parts in my 1st post and also had lots of thread lock in the required parts. I did smash the shell on its 1st ever roll which also took out the rear upper arm alloy turnbuckle. All arms then got beefed up a bit. It has since survived a good few end over end and cartwheel rolls with no dramas.

Has it seen any dirt, yep, she is built to be used and not sit on a shelf. Had an good outing at a local disused quarry and surrounding area (http://g.co/maps/czkvs) last weekend and she is currently in the back of the my car in a right state. New clutch needed, 1 boot shredded due to a mahoosive rock getting jammed between the rear bottom arm and the dogbone. Bottom of the chassis is peppered with marks as is the gear cover due to the amount of rock being flung up by the front wheels, and its stinking dirty.

Few more pics: https://picasaweb.go...126220903076034

Edited by Marc G60T

Thats true.

Thankfully many parts fit off of other makes or car, and that is part of the fun with this car, finding compatible parts.

I went for the Blackout as i wanted something cheap'ish, 4 wheel drive, ok ground clearance, quite wide and stocky with a short wheelbase.

Nice!

shame the blackout doesnt have anymore upgrades out :shockingscary:

my mate i got back intouch with latley is a cnc and cad programmer/worker and will be working for british aerospace soon , and i was chatting with him lastnight and MIGHT have some nice bits made for cheap , if he gets enough interest he might do some more plus other bits for other models , we haven't spoke in depth yet about it but he is very posative about this and really up for it , we will see soon

thants a beast of an engine mate , get a vid of it running in the blackout lol

my mate i got back intouch with latley is a cnc and cad programmer/worker and will be working for british aerospace soon , and i was chatting with him lastnight and MIGHT have some nice bits made for cheap , if he gets enough interest he might do some more plus other bits for other models , we haven't spoke in depth yet about it but he is very posative about this and really up for it , we will see soon

thants a beast of an engine mate , get a vid of it running in the blackout lol

Ill defo be intrested anyway as theres not much after you upgrade the alloy parts and engine :shockingscary:

Thats true.

Thankfully many parts fit off of other makes or car, and that is part of the fun with this car, finding compatible parts.

I went for the Blackout as i wanted something cheap'ish, 4 wheel drive, ok ground clearance, quite wide and stocky with a short wheelbase.

What parts fit from others? i havent managed to find any apart from the redcat ones :shockingscary:

baja rear hubs fit , baja rear exhausts fit with very little modding the shocktower (i have a rear vrc on my redcat ) mcd gears (i run blackbone) mcd fuel tank and alloy tank holders as far as ive heard , baja to fg rear hubs to run monster beetle wheels, baja turnbuckles are about the same size too ive roughly measured some and seem pretty close , a set of marks would look nice can't afford them though lol , there are a fair few other bits too but can't think offhand now , i desperatly need to upgrade mine now the gear carrier where the middle 2 gears are that hold the bearing inplace its starting to get bigger so giving it lots of play and blowing the inner bearing alot :( need to get rid of the plastics lol

Is it the one that has the gear shaft on it? or the ones that go to the output diffs? might have one in the shed ill have to check :shockingscary:

Edited by hebby

the middle one that is fre running , the bearings and stuff are ok at the mo as ive replaced them again but the gear carrier is on its way out the recess where the outer bearing sits is getting bigger making the bearing move up and down when the throttle is applied and let off ruining the rear bearing with the movement lol so need the whole carrier tbh :( it works ok for about 5-6 runs then the bearing exlodes lol

As you look from the top with front facing you is it one on the left that comes from the gear carrier? cos i changed mine for an alloy one and am sure i have a spare plastic if its that one?

yeah the main big plastic carrier with 4 gears on it that attaches to the clutch housing and center diff/brake ,this thing lol http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MAVERICK-BLACKOUT-MT-MV24009-TRANSMISSION-MOUNT-SET-BLACKOUT-MT-GENUINE-PART-/160781436800?pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN&hash=item256f520780 , i would upgrade to the alu one but not for

yeah thats fine as i say its still works and stuff and i have no engine at the mo ,should have my 26cc redtop weekend though fingers crossed :) ,but need to find out what what copper 4 bolt gasket i need to get my stuffed 29cc crank in for the squish before its running again so no rush or anything mate get yourself sorted 1st bud

A few more pics. Yes the postman has been :yes:

IMG_1430.JPG

IMG_1443.JPG

IMG_1460.JPG

IMG_1446.JPG

IMG_1452.JPG

IMG_1461.JPG

Turtle Racing v2 pull start.

Outerwears filter for Turtle Racing v2 pull start.

Unifilter angled foam filter.

Hostile orange heat deflector.

Copper gaskets.

A few clutches.

Steel turnbuckles. (for servos)

Team Chase carb filter.

Team Chase Losi 5ive rear cv protectors.

Heavy duty large rear wing and Pitbull flexible mounts.

Victory RC "BIGBORE" rear pipe.

Lots to do... ;)

Edited by Marc G60T

• 2 years later...

I have a pro-line desert rat truck body. The car is totally stripped down at the moment awaiting a full custom/diy drivetrain rebuild.

Also, since this thread was started I have passed the Maverick onto my son and have thrown about 4.5K into a Losi 5ive  :insane:

lol.