• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Hyper ST Owners Thread

I converted a ST and today was the first run.

One of the rear drive shafts (Universal shafts) are constantly turning into a banana, I wasn't jumping on one occasion, did a few laps and hey ho, had to take it out and smack it straight, as it was that bent it came out.

It's like something in the rear has too much play, but can't figure it out. Anyone have any ideas?

Is it possible the drive shaft is weak from being straightened too many times?

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/01/2017 at 18:20, Vr5fx said:

One of the rear drive shafts (Universal shafts) are constantly turning into a banana, I wasn't jumping on one occasion, did a few laps and hey ho, had to take it out and smack it straight, as it was that bent it came out.

It's like something in the rear has too much play, but can't figure it out. Anyone have any ideas?

If it was my truggy I'd buy some new rear driveshafts to see if it eliminates the problem :)

On 1/22/2017 at 18:20, Vr5fx said:

I've some vague memory of their being diffrent length UJ's for front and rear on the PRO

pn 86012 front UJ for Pro - 129mm

pn 86217 rear UJ for Pro- 132mm

Poss you have front UJ's in the rear?

Worth noting too that it was quite popular to fit the RTR's rear dogbone set up too - thicker, stronger and cheaper than UJ's.

31 minutes ago, capri-boy said:

I've some vague memory of their being diffrent length UJ's for front and rear on the PRO

pn 86012 front UJ for Pro - 129mm

pn 86217 rear UJ for Pro- 132mm

Poss you have front UJ's in the rear?

Worth noting too that it was quite popular to fit the RTR's rear dogbone set up too - thicker, stronger and cheaper than UJ's.

Ya know, I think you might be right about the uj's being different lengths. Its been absolutely ages but I think my ST may have had the same problem at one point

I ended up buying some standard drive shafts and cups, wasn't too expensive, so it was worth a punt.

I also bought new rear uppers, checked everything was as it should (I've had a few ST's before, so I'm no noob)

Took it out today, And this time, same side the standard dogbone came lose and the pin ground down. I was driving silly though. Something is playing silly buggers with me.

2 minutes ago, MAZ said:

Any recommendations for a new RX box for my brushless ST?

Firestorm Flux fits nicely on top of the servo, ran it on the last one I had.

• Like 1