• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Losi MSC-MXPro brushless speed controller

Garry

Losi-MSC-MCPRO-2.jpg

Losi introduces the new MSC-MXPro brushless controller for Short Course Trucks. The 80 grams heavy controller can be operated with a battery voltage of 5.5 V to 25.4 V and is also featured in the new TEN-SCTE Losi RTR use. The controller is available, according to Horizon Hobby in mid October 2011 for $ 134.99.

Losi-MSC-MCPRO-1.jpg

The Losi MSC MXpro seems like the very similar structure Mamba Max Pro SCT Castle Creations from the house to come.

Features & Specifications

Functions: Forward / Reverse / Brake

Input voltage: 5.5 V to 25.4 V

Motor Limit: No limit for 540 motors

Length / Width / Height: 47 x 38.7 x 32.2 mm

Weight: 80.2 grams

BEC voltage: Adjustable

PWM Frequency: 12kHz

Overload protection: Built-in

Resistance: .300 ohms

Cable: 13AWG

Auto-shutdown: Built

Source: RCNews.de

I doubt its a rebadged Castle - Horizon Hobby (Losi's parent company) are one of the largest hobby firms out there. They are quite capable of making their own esc's and would rather so so than supply a rebadge.

Any similarity is more likely to be down to being designed to compete with the Mamba - though if its like other Losi esc's it will be cheaper.

I doubt its a rebadged Castle - Horizon Hobby (Losi's parent company) are one of the largest hobby firms out there. They are quite capable of making their own esc's and would rather so so than supply a rebadge.

Any similarity is more likely to be down to being designed to compete with the Mamba - though if its like other Losi esc's it will be cheaper.

And crap :lol:

Ahh - Background check reveals all.....

We are both right - sort of!

Horizon Hobby is Castle Creations primary distributor and clearly very closely tied in with Castle. So technically it is an own brand esc, but yes its also a MMP. Which sort of makes this a bit different to the Q-Base which is literally a Castle that HPI buy in.

• 2 months later...

Hi all, relatively new to all of this. I am looking at getting this SCTE RTR after reading some really good reviews of the SCTE Roller. Nearly everyone running this as a roller tends to use a 550 motor with 3800kv. The SCTE RTR is coming with a 550 motor with 2800kv. Is anyone able to verify this as this would make it less powerful surely. Can anyone explain why LOSI would run it with 2800kv when its been leaving the competition for dead on 3800kv. Could it just be typing error as from what i have understood, this motor and ESC are almost identical to the MMB sidewinder 1410Y which runs a 3800kv motor. LOSI already had one typing arror on the SCTE RTR stating that was 2wd running off a 4wd chain. How will i actually get the correct info as i may be choosing this over the slash 4x4 ultimate.

Cheers guys.

Losi make the (sensible but annoying) move of fitting milder motors to their RTR's. The 22 RTR for example comes with a 13.5t motor, when most 2wd racers run much lower.

In any case, the SCTE RTR with a 2800kV motor is going to be pretty quick. Its a totally different beast than a Slash 4x4 though - whilst the SCTE is very tough being 1/8th based its a precision racing machine.

Ah ok. So in your opinion this is a good quick sct to get then. if I wanted to upgrade it to 3800kv, do I just buy the motor or do I need to get a new sex too? My sons slash 4x4 ultimate will be quicker than the extra rtfm tho unless I beef UK the motor in the extra is that right?

Unless the Slash has been upgraded its not going to be quicker. It has a higher kV motor, but its smaller (540ish) so has to run a lower gearing.

However you won't need to change the esc to go up to a 3800kV motor.

Cheers Si Coe. I think i am starting to understand this a little bit better now. Spoke to someone at Hobby Horizon today who are the uk distributer for the LOSI Ten SCTE and he reckons that the motor can be uprated to the 3800kv motor without replacing the ESC aswell.

I then called RC Logic today who are the UK distributor for Castle Creations. The guy there explained to me that although its only a 2800kv motor in the RTR SCTE, i had to remember that the motor is a 4 pole brushless 550 sized can and that this would probably be very similar in speed to the Slash 4x4 which is obviously a 3500kvmotor but its like you said probably 540 ish in size.

The new Mamba Pro SCT combo is meant to be very quick and is only 2400kv. Again on a 4 pole brushless 550 can. This motor is rated for SC's up to 6.5lb in weight apparently. The SCTE is meant to come in at around 6.7lb in weight so if the motor and ESC is a MMP SCT then LOSI may well have increased from 2400kv to 2800kv to cope better with the extra weight.

Thats how i am undertsnading it all so far anyway. Could this be right guys.