• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Converting Revo 3.3 to Brushless

Twonks

After a few threads on here and looking around the tinterweb, I have decided to make my 3.3 a brushless beast.

A nightmare selling it on ebay has resulted in me getting it back half dismantled and I really can't be bothered to try sell it again and buy a E-revo - so here goes project brushless :)

This is a steep curve for me as I have never really played to this level before (but I do sell small industrial motors and transmission equipment for a living, so I should have half a clue)

The car will be used mainly for bashing around fields and small jumps / off roading with my youngest. Not into racing or popping 40 foot wheelies.

I want it to be controllable, and near the Nitro performance would be good - faster is better but not silly speeds :)

So, the list is as follows.

ESC - Hobbyking 150a

Motor - 2200Kv - not sure which one though?

Pinion - 19T ?

Motor Mount - From RC-Monster

Battery Tray - ?

ESC Mount - ?

Gear locked into 2nd so I can reverse/brake on the motor.

Batteries - 4S probably

Charger - As needed

Radio Kit - To use std 3.3 for now and then upgrade to 2.4 as and when

I aim to keep the twin steering servos for now and figure out mounting etc as I go.

This will be a long project as funds are limited at around

Edited by Twonks

After a few threads on here and looking around the tinterweb, I have decided to make my 3.3 a brushless beast.

A nightmare selling it on ebay has resulted in me getting it back half dismantled and I really can't be bothered to try sell it again and buy a E-revo - so here goes project brushless :)

This is a steep curve for me as I have never really played to this level before (but I do sell small industrial motors and transmission equipment for a living, so I should have half a clue)

The car will be used mainly for bashing around fields and small jumps / off roading with my youngest. Not into racing or popping 40 foot wheelies.

I want it to be fcontrollabletrolable, and near the Nitro performance would be good - faster is better but not silly speeds :)

So, the list is as follows.

ESC - Hobbyking 150a

Motor - 2200Kv - not sure which one though?

Pinion - 19T ?

Motor Mount - From RC-Monster

Battery Tray - ?

ESC Mount - ?

Gear locked into 2nd so I can reverse/brake on the motor.

Batteries - 4S probably

Charger - As needed

Radio Kit - To use std 3.3 for now and then upgrade to 2.4 as and when

I aim to keep the twin steering servos for now and figure out mounting etc as I go.

This will be a long project as funds are limited at around

• 3 weeks later...

The first parcel has arrived :)

A few bits.

All bought from Blue Groove RC concepts in the USA. Sold at a cracking price for their last conversion kit :)

Nice carbon bits.

bits2.jpg

bits1.jpg

Offset wheels

wheels1.jpg

17mm Hexs'

17mm1.jpg

Above views

back.jpg

above1.jpg

above2.jpg

After installing those few bits I messed around with the gearbox from an e-revo and the original 3.3. I concluded that although it would be possible to combine two halves of each unit to make one suitable, it is simply too much work and faff. So the e-revo unit will be sold on and the 3.3 converted to FO and locked into second.. (Tomorrows job)

The radio gear and single steering servo is on the way from Hobbyking, so just have to decide on tyres and the all important batteries, ESC and Motor.

Comments welcome :)

Edited by Twonks

Revo's looking good mate :good:

I haven't seen that brand of conversion before, looks nice, very clean especially with those carbon plates.

Good luck with selling the E-Revo gearbox, took ages before you took it off me :lol:

I hope you get as much as you payed for it mate :)

Cheers guys.

I found blue groove when searching for the conversion kit. A lot of emails later and some cracking advice from the owner and here they are :)

Shame about the transmission. If I had easy access to a lathe I reckon I could make it fit, but for the sake of an hour or so to get the original sorted it probably isn't worth it.

Need to decide on tyres soon too. HPI dirt bonzs' or badlands have been advised so far.

Edited by Twonks

Another update today.

A few parcels came this week.

Tyres

tyres.jpg

Wing and Mount

wing.jpg

wingmount.jpg

Forward only conversion kit

foc.jpg

Some black goo

messy.jpg

And now I have

chassis.jpg

rearview.jpg

Tis locked in second, with 1st gear and all the reverse rubbish removed.

The wing mount kit has some bolts missing so will get them from work.

Tyres taped and glued with the shoe goo, as advised on a few forums.

I hate superglue and always have issues with the stuff, but this black mess gets everywhere - just hope it works.

Also have the controller and steering servo to sort tomorrow, and te lipos, bags and charger are ordered.

Soooo, just to decide on motor and ESC now. :)

Looking nice mate, never heard of gluing tyres with shoe goo before though, will be interesting to see how it holds out.

Neither had I until I looked to see if there was anything new in the world of tyre fitting (last one I did was 15 years ago)

I found a few had used Shoe Goo as it remains flexible and holds well, yet doesn't stick instantly - giving you plenty of time to position and fit etc.

It seems to have worked, but the stuff is soooo damn messy (think of bath sealant type), that I have to wonder if it was worth it.

My wheels and tyres now look a right mess, but as the truck is built to play and not look good I aint too fussed :)

For batteries I went with some Zippy 30C 4S 5000ma, a Turnigy charger and should have a PSU at home to run it.

Just need the power source and a few pinions to play with now, but this might have to wait a while till the funds are replenished.

Also want another body, and I think a lower stance would suit it so might go for a car orientated look.

• 3 months later...

Bit of a long awaited bump.

The build has taken a backseat for some time due to house diy and more importantly an torn achilles tendon rather limiting what I can do :xd:

Today I decided to have another play and get the car mostly built.

Now it looks like this...

ESC - Looks high but is just lower than the top of the motor mount, so not too bad.

IMG_0442-1.jpg

HK Servo. High speed, reasonable torque and metal gears.

IMG_0441-1.jpg

Tenshock X-802 motor

IMG_0440.jpg

Top view

IMG_0439.jpg

And for referance in case new members want some scale of a Revo.

IMG_0443-1.jpg

The cables need connecting and tidying up, battery tray needs slight cut for a snug fit and then it's set up time :)

Looking very nice mate, interesting sway bar setup, never seen it done like that before, but I imagine it's more effective than the Traxxas ones...

Or is that a Traxxas set? I don't reconise them...

Orange servo looks cool :D

Looks like it will have pretty good weight distribution too, so should be nice and stable on the jumps!

Thanks for the kind comments.

I'll be taking a few vids when it goes out, but tbh it will be some time away as I recover from the tendon damage.

The L/R weight distribution (with battery) is not far off central, Not sure front to back, but I'd expect it to be rear biased somewhat.

Sway bar kit is part of the blue groove racing bits I mentioned at the top of the thread.

The guy that owns the company gave me a huge amount of information about set-up and the best way to race with this kit. I can't see me racing so the sway bar set up may not stay. Going to try it first though.

Just need to sort a few soldering bits out and then crack on with the rest of it.

Still undecided what shell to use. I quite like the idea of a low slung car body, but to get the suspension movement it means it is lifted somewhat and spoils the look.

Maybe a pick up truck body could suit it.

Edited by Twonks

That looks really good!

Since the E-REVO came out brushless conversions of it's nitro brethren are few and far between.

I love a good conversion. It just has it's own unique class.

The shoe goo works quite well. A couple of guys I'n the nitro nutters group have tried it and to be fair, holds up well.

I've been thinking of body shells for the conversion,

All along I wanted something like the Hemi shell, or even an e-revo modded slightly.

However, I am really liking the look of a Summit shell with bumpers and lights.

I know the shells are supposed to be quite heavy, but with gearing more or less the same as stock nitro and more than twice the power, I think it should pull quite well.

One of the reasons for going down this route is that I don't have to paint anything as I would make a mess of it, and the Summit shells look very good with the bars etc,

What are peoples thoughts for this (Will probably be a yellow or maybe blue shell to go with the yellow wheels ?

Edited by Twonks

You will need a set of rear body mounts for the summit.

Also, Summit shells complete with cage are quite difficult to get.

Cant see any reason why you couldnt run it though, the summit shell is pretty sturdy too!!

Toughest shell ive ever had.

After conversations with the wife and kids, it seems the summit body looks like a bus lol.

I still really like if, but to get it as I want will cost too much just for essentially cosmetics.

So now, back to the original plan of a hpi Plymouth hemi body and wing.

Going to go with simple gloss black paint and yellow decals. Should be easy enough and hopefully look good with the wheels.

We have movement :hahadance:

Soldered everything up. Running on the Lipo as it came from the store, so probably storage voltage.

I have a USB programming box for the ESC and have set timing to 0, punch to 4 out of 9, reverse to 25% and braking to stop and then reverse.

It cogs quite bad at very low speed, so I'm hoping the timing will sort that. If not no biggie as it won't be going that slow normally.

The below is a very dodgy test in the kitchen, with a few slight knocks.

Edited by Twonks

Looking good mate, sounds like your slipper is slipping an awful lot though.

Didn't sound like it was cogging that much to me though, no more than mine does.

Also, is that normal for it to slam into forward throttle when going from reverse to forward, mine brakes before switching to forward, although I do have a different ESC.

Hiya mate.

Thanks for the comments.

tbh I forgot about the slipper. It is done up finger tight and then a nip with the spanner.

I can't get it to slip by hand, so don't know how 'adjusted' it is at the mo. (Is there a reccomended 'tightness' ?)

I presumed it was spinning the tyres rather than slipping, but not sure now I think about it.

After the young un stopped the video, I kept it going for a few more seconds, and it laid rubber lines down for five foot down the kitchen... oops.

Never mind, the floors being replaced soon as the dog likes eating it. (Another story)

I did think the same about the from reverse to forwards, as I can see that being a transmission destroyer when speed and grip are thrown into the equation. The controller and ESC have more than a few options, so will look into it.

Edited by Twonks

Another small update.

Some may have seen in the relavent section of the forum that I won something in this months competition.

I was amazed and extremely happy to win the best prize - A Revo 3.3 :hahadance:

After a couple of emails to the big man at Modelsport, my new car will be with me on Monday.

I'll post some pics up in a new thread when it lands.

A couple more videos after much messing.

Revorocks was quite right, and the slipper was only finger tight.

Tightened it up then back off 1/8th turn and seems good, although no full speed runs done yet..

It's on 3 of 9 for punch, 25% braking and the lipo hasn't been charged yet from new.

Looks like I need a bigger space and some practice.