• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

XB Motor problem

hmmm

Seem this may be a common problem. Bought an XB EVO from STO racing and it lasted 3 weeks til the motor failed :angry:, smelled like it burnt out. Rang sto taday and they said just send it in and they will send a new one back same day :rolleyes:. Great service if they follow through.

Is this a common problem? Do they fit cheap motors in RTR's or was I just unlucky.

Edited by hmmm

Hi, Looks like all the other HPI brushed motors are even cheaper Other motors I got a #1146 - FIREBOLT 15T MOTOR (540 TYPE) thinking this would be better being a genuine HPI and not maverick I'll have to give it a go and see.

I still thing the XB is a good buy my 4 year old has crashed it loads and still not broken anything except the motor :rolleyes:.

Great service from STO sent the old motor in on wednesday and got the new one this morning.

Fitted the HPI Fire bolt only to find out it by default turns in the opposite direction. Had to swap the diffs over to get it to go forward at full speed now its runnin great.

Hi

got my nipper( hes 3 and loves my cars) an xb evo,very good buggys except the motor is rubbish,burnt his first one out just going up and down the park,only had it 3 weeks..just had it replaced and i think its on its way out after 2 days,smells of burning and very,very hot.....

what do you think of the firebolt ,i was thinking of getting that one as a replacement...

Hi,

Have run the firebolt a few times now and even after running for 15 mins solid the motor is not hot. It is faster than the maverick and is actually cheaper. Only drawback is that it runs in the opposite direction to the Maverick, you will have to swap the diffs over. There's another post around discussing this problem I'll see if I can dig out a link to it.

And Here

Edited by hmmm

Hi, well went out today and ran the XB for about 12 minutes and now the ESC has burnt out really seems the electrics in the maverick are sub standard. I know it's cheap but if they can't put components in that don't last over a month then what's the point.

I will be asking for a replacement other than a maverick part from sto and see how that pans out....

The guy from STOracing told agreed to send me an Etronix probe 12 esc should be better than the maverick he said it could take more amps so should be fine. Hope so I'll see how it goes.

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like more work than swapping the leads between the ESC and motor over...

The esc delivers less power in reverse and so if you swapped the laeds around the car would be faster backwards. Changing the diffs was the only way to go and took less than 30 mins

The esc delivers less power in reverse and so if you swapped the laeds around the car would be faster backwards. Changing the diffs was the only way to go and took less than 30 mins

If you swap the leads on the motor round then you're reversing the current running through the coils in the motor, thus forward from the ESC applies a forward motion to the motor and through the drive chain. I've done this on several of my cars already using this ESC.

If you switch the throttle on the transmitter to reverse then you're applying reverse from the ESC to a forward action in the car, which causes less power and the brake to work incorrectly.

The only issue I can see, and I could be wrong, is that the airflow through the motor the majority of the time is reverse what it is designed to do.

This ESC is now in my TT01 drifter as I've upgrade the Strada XB Evo to brushless. I don't believe I can flip the diff in that car.

Its to do with motor timing, its assembled with advanced timing and no way of adjusting it. The ''Forwards'' direction of ESC movement gives 100% power, the ''Reverse'' direction gives around 40-50% power, so you don't have an uncontrollable car going backwards. Also, to give a degree of braking effect theres a delay between travelling in one direction, then going in the other direction:

Forwards to reverse movement = 2/3secs delay

Reverse to forwards movement = no delay

For the time being, you have to try and match the faster revving side of the motor movement to the ''Forwards'' direction on the ESC. Once those are matched, then try to make that move the car fowards. You will probably need to flip the diffs around. The switch on the transmitter just affects which way you push the trigger to make it go, neither does swapping the wires over.

So basically, I'd do this:

Step 1. Put swtich on transmitter to NOR

Step 2. Wire motor to ESC, Pos to Pos, Neg to Neg

Step 3. Sit the car on a block so the wheels can rotate (or take the pinion off)

Step 4. Turn everything on and see which side of trigger movement does what (in terms of delay and RPM). If pulling the trigger back makes the motor rev higher than pushing it forwards, try full throttle, then go full reverse and see if there is a delay. If there is, go to Step 6. If there isn't, then swap the motor wires over, flick the switch on the transmitter and try Step 4 again.

Step 5, Put the pinion on (or put the car down) and see what the throttle direction on the transmitter does in relation to driving the car.

Step 5, If its still backwards, then the diffs will probably need flipping over inside each gearbox casing.

Read this for a similar issue: