• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

How to lock your Ball Diff

AlexBruv

Hi,

Since we dont have a ''' how to lock your ball diff ''

I decided to take a link that Garry Sent to me and made my own one ( with same pics, Credit goes to Garry )

Take your diff apart, deived the diff into 2 parts and take all balls and grease out, like so

post-14948-0-42094400-1300191475_thumb.j

Next

Place a diff plate onto some elctrical tape.... I tried some Fiber glass tape and it works so much better, cut and trim like pic 3/4 ,

post-14948-0-79523500-1300191480_thumb.j

One bare side,

post-14948-0-24961100-1300191486_thumb.j

One taped side,

post-14948-0-56410100-1300191495_thumb.j

I put tape on one side of each plate ( locks so much nicer and stronger, with the fiber glass tape )

Glue the diff plates to the diff housings with tape facing out wards like so,

post-14948-0-64914900-1300191502_thumb.j

Put back together and all done ready for drifting... You can also do this to your front diff for TC racing good.gif

Thanks... ( again credit goes to Garry for this link )

Edited by AlexBruv

and sadly doesnt work very well at all! i managed to unlock Alex's diff he had locked in this way with it out of the car and just using my fingers! would be better to buy a spool!

I think the guide misses off using threadlock on the diff nut. I built a Yokomo front diff into a spool with this method, and broke the diff screw head taking it apart. :lol:

and sadly doesnt work very well at all! i managed to unlock Alex's diff he had locked in this way with it out of the car and just using my fingers! would be better to buy a spool!

Yes Adam... and you drove into my rascal aswell wink.gif

I think the guide misses off using threadlock on the diff nut. I built a Yokomo front diff into a spool with this method, and broke the diff screw head taking it apart. :lol:

See i went ofr the option of tightening up my Mission diff as tight as it would go...... last about 3 drifts before the screw head snapped off!

Alex.... i have a blue bodypin........ would that be yours? as for running into the Rascal...... you shouldnt leave in a place where its going to cause damage to other cars!

See i went ofr the option of tightening up my Mission diff as tight as it would go...... last about 3 drifts before the screw head snapped off!

Alex.... i have a blue bodypin........ would that be yours? as for running into the Rascal...... you shouldnt leave in a place where its going to cause damage to other cars!

Is it like dark metallic blue?.... it turned it self off, the switch hit the wheel and you drove into it tongue.gif

Correct with a Yellow cable tie! well looks like you need to fit the switch better than you have then! sorted your steering out on it yet?

Yep thats mine mate.. good.gif

Nope im going to get this servo for mission,

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BMS-706MG-Low-Profile-High-speed-Servo-Metal-Gear-/260698462976?pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN&hash=item3cb2d6db00#ht_1360wt_905

then put missions servo into rascal lol

ive used this method to lock my ball diff its not very effective as it easily comes loose so what i did was get out the dremel and give the washers and anything that was flat a rough surface then applied epoxy resin inbetween the washes and in the middle then some on the end of the bolt and put it back together and now its locked well and truly :D