• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Brushless Hyper 7 / MMM 2200kv - what gearing?

Time to put it all together but dont know what pinion to buy. Dont want to buy many as they are not cheap. If you are running with the same system what is your gearing and what would you recommend for general bashing on grass and tarmac on 5S. Thanks

graveyard is correct :)

4s, 19 or 20 is good, very fast tho, so not amazing for bashing...

My 1800kv geared 20/46 is exactly the speed on a nitro hyper, so no extra speed to make things break more easilly, and all the advantages of electric... plus, everything runs super cool :)

I've been running 6s and 15/46.

Tried a 19t pinion and it was just stupidly insane, hard to keep the front down and balloon city!

Edited by Day

Thanks guys. I have one 2S and one 3S battery and didnt want to buy any additional ones for now. I will probably start with 18t pinion then on 46 spur and 5S and will take it from there

are the battery's same C and mah???

Yeah, Turnigy 5800 / 25c. I use them in my e-revo.

Ok guys. I got the idea now - 18,19 should be ok. will buy whichever is cheaper and nearer. Thanks

P.S. BTW if anybody has got a spare one and would like to sell it then let me know.

Edited by vladimir

You want to gear HIGH. I had a 2200 in my x1 cr. It was totally insane, it was on it's arse ALL the time and almost ripped the front tyres to bits with them up in the air balooning all time. 2200 is more suited to truggies. You want a 2650 for a buggy really.

Lee.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys. Is it normal that I had to put a spacer (brake bracket) under a motor mount to have the diff level? Or am I doing smth wrong here?

post-18543-0-07766000-1300293701_thumb.j

And those of you who have castle 2200kv motor - could you send me a pm or post here some pictures of your setup please. I'm having problems trying to position 2S + 3S batteries. How do people position 6S under a standard bodyshell then?

Thanks

Raise the front body post 5-7mm.

Basically remove, add washer over the recess and re-assemble.

Simples :)

IMG_0679.jpg

You can also raise the rear post by just using the bottom screw on the top hole of the tower but obviously this increases the risk of damage during rollovers!

My setup is a little different as I have the ESC at the rear and the battery tray further forward as I've not used the Hyper 8 battery mount. I've also had to raise one end of the centre spider differential like you.

IMG_0683.jpg

Just wish there was this much info on here when I first started building mine in January, everyone's converting these now :topbanana:

Edited by Day

What receiver box is that?

Mines a bit venerable.

That looks like Traxxas E-revo box - I will use the same one. And thanks all of you guys for your pictures

Edited by vladimir

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the end of my conversion. List of what I've done to it: 5K-5K-3K diff oil, MMM 2200kv geared 19/46, road tyres, T-Bone frond ad rear bumpers. Didnt want to buy new lipos for now so I used my 2S+3S e revo lipos. They are a bit chuky @ 5800mah with 8 AGV wires sticking out on the side so I couldnt fit them under my shell as you guys did. In the end I did this - 2 custom made trays from L-shape steel angle and mounted 2S battery above the cetre diff.

25032011341.jpg

25032011340.jpg

Edited by vladimir

With the settings mentioned above car was GPSed doing 56mph on tarmac. Too fast, going through tyres quickly and at the end of the run motor was hot though I still could keep my fingers on it. I know that this motors sometimes get hotter when they are not worked hard enough. Could that be my case? I don't have a smaller pinion or 2x2S bats to make it 4S but I do have a 1800kv motor. It is a bigger can Castle 1518 motor. I tamed down all the settings on the speed controller to avoid high torque overloading my transmission. My calculations predict 45mph which will probably be ideal for me. Will give it a test tomorrow.

Had a good bash today with NLB. Perfect timing as ever - postman dropped off Pro-Line badlands after I left the house. Tried them after I got home - NICE! And as I do regularly drive at late evenings I did a "lights" upgrade - now I always know the direction of the car even at 200m away in total darkness

02042011346.jpg

02042011345.jpg